Complaint Review:

• Submitted: Sun, July 08, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, April 20, 2008

• Reported By:Tinley Park Illinois
Cingular Wireless - AT&T
wireless.att.com/home/ Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.

Cingular Wireless - AT&T Water Damage scam Ripoff Chicago Illinois

*Consumer Suggestion: This is all good BUT

*UPDATE Employee: Warranty

I recently purchased a Blackberry RIM 8100 Pearl from the AT&T web store after having been an on-time paying customer of theirs for the past 5 years. Up until last month, my experience with AT&T was very pleasant, until certain features of the $325.00 PDA stopped working only months after receiving it. I called the customer care hotline, and they informed me that since this was an internet order, I would have to return the phone via their exchange program.

The thanks I received came in the form of a $325 charge on my next bill for the returned phone due to "water damage," however the phone was never exposed to water while in my possession. What especially irritates me is that the second PDA quit only a few weeks after the first, and I called and returned that phone before I thought that they might be trying to bill me for these phones. I am worried that I will have to pay another $325 next month, what with their creative exchange program scam.

I wish I had done my homework before I ever bought this PDA from Cingular, there are numerous complaints about this water scam on the internet. They have no intention of making sure you have a functioning phone under their warranty, even if that is what you paid for. Cingular + At&T = Fraud!

Bryan
Tinley Park, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/08/2007 05:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/cingular-wireless-att/chicago-illinois/cingular-wireless-att-water-damage-scam-ripoff-chicago-illinois-259412. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cingular Wireless - AT&T

#1 Consumer Suggestion

This is all good BUT

AUTHOR: Peridot - (U.S.A.)

As an AT&T customer, Blackberries and other High End phones CANNOT be insured under the equipment protection plan offered through Asurion (as requested by AT&T)... see their exclusion list on AT&T's website.

As for water damage, unfortunately some phones are extremely sensitive to ANY moisture - including sweat or just sitting it on the counter in the bathroom while you take a shower.

Warranty

AUTHOR: Amethyst - (U.S.A.)

Apparantly you filed a warranty exchange through the manufacturer, the company is asurion who handles that.

You have to call in to make the exchange and they send you out a phone first and then you send them back the phone you claimed was not working.

Before all this happens they ask you a series of questions and one of them is to look in the back of the phone for the white dot and tell you what color it is. After that they can tell you already if it has water damage and that they will charge you for the replacement phone. Or you can go to a store and they can look in the back of the phone and tell you that this is not a warranty issue but water damage.

Waterdamage does not mean you dropped it in water, holding a phone constantly to your ear and talking alot builds up moisture, just high humidity areas also can show a sign of water damage to your phone.