For over 18 months my husband and I have been trying to get citimortgage to modify our 2nd mortgage due to the high interest rate (11.5%). We both lost our jobs in February 2008 and began contacting citimortgage to ask for help. We sent weekly letters (certified), filled out hardship applications (6 hard copy applications and 3 online), modification applications (3 hard copy applications), and even wrote to the CEO (Sanjiv Das) begging for help. Every response we received was to "complete a refinancing application" - we kept completing applications and each time we were told that we did not qualify since we lost our jobs (this after at least 6 times being told that our applications were not received- yet we had proof from the certified mail receipts or the person working on our case was no longer with the company). Well, that was the point! We could not pay the mortgage because we lost our jobs. We had never been late on our payments and ended up emptying our retirement fund to pay this second mortgage over the past 18 months. My job had been a director at a large mortgage company (before I was layed off) and believe me, no amount of industry knowledge seems to be able to crack citimorgage's delay tactics. We went to HUD, the local housing legal aide office, met with our Congressman, emailed Barney Frank and sent more letters to citimortgage to no avail. My husband found a job in March 2009 (making 50% of what he previously made) and we went back to citimortgage to let them know that we finally had some income and would like them to process the loan modification. Again- Our modification application was lost, the phone number given to us by the citi representative was disconnected, the homeowner's insurance policy we sent (and then our Nationwide Agent sent) was never received, my husband's paystubs were lost- it never ends. Our credit is good but our retirement is gone and we are about a month away from not being able to pay the citimortgage second mortgage. Two weeks ago the citimortgage representative told my husband that the modification was "approved" and when my husband called a day later the representative told him that the application was with underwriting. My husband asked how it could be "approved" if it was still in underwriting (since the 2nd week of April) and the representative said he "was not sure".