Complaint Review: City of Florida City

• Phone: 305-247-8223
  • Web:
  • Category: Police

City of Florida City Right turn on red, $158 fine Florida City, Florida

*Consumer Comment: Take option...

I was SB on US-1, turning right onto W Palm Drive on 3/24/13.  The evidence was a 10 second video which clearly shows that I did not come to a complete stop before entering the intersection to make a right turn. The video also shows that two cars in front of me plus one car behind me all turned right, without a full stop, on the same red light.  This ten second video shows four $158 violations if all cars were ticketed.

My car has a Pennsylvania license tag.  I don't know if the other vehicles had out of state tags or not.

I have requested the following information from the police:  1.  Did they issue fines to all four vehicles in the 10 second video?  2.  Was there a sign at the intersection indicating "No Turn On Red"?  3.  Was the violation that I failed to come to a complete stop before proceeding to turn right?

They have not provided the requested information, nor have they acknowledged my request.

I have these two options:  1.  Pay the $158 fine before 5/5/13, otherwise an additional Ciatation and fine of $277 will be levied.  2.  Travel from Pennsylvania to Florida for a hearing to plead my case to a "designated official". (If the official concludes that an infraction has been committed, the official may impose a civil penalty not to exceed $500, and court fees and costs)

I would simply pay a more reasonable fine and move on.  I would like to know if the other cars making the right turn were Florida tags or not.  I suspect the police target out of state cars because they know most will just pay the fine and move on.  I turned right to patronize a Florida City restaurant.  I won't make that mistake again on my next pass through Florida City.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/20/2013 08:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/city-of-florida-city/florida-city-florida-33034/city-of-florida-city-right-turn-on-red-158-fine-florida-city-florida-1044797. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Take option...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

Take option 1-Pay the fine.

- In every jurisdiction you can be sure that the law states you MUST come to a FULL AND COMPLETE stop before turning on a Red Light.  So that is the reason you were cited.  It doesn't matter if they ticketed the other vehicles or if they were out of state, because even IF they went to court they would be found guilty of the violation.    Because this the violation is a very common law the "I didn't know" wouldn't work.

I won't make that mistake again on my next pass through Florida City.
- That's the idea.  You will now remember this incident and since you don't like the fine you will be sure you make a full and complete stop.  So it looks like served it's purpose.