Complaint Review: Columbia Consumer Research

• Reported By: Rockledge Florida
  • Columbia Consumer Research
    10 W. T Center
    Baltimore, Maryland

Columbia Consumer Research - Mystery Shopper Check Scam, Consumer Surevey Specialist Baltimore Maryland

I received a letter with an official check enclosed for $2900. The letter told me I was to be a Mystery Shopper for a Research program in my area. After this training program I would increase my salary to $400 per week for three months then $700 after six months of working for CCR. I was to shop at a local K-Mart, Home Depot, Walmart or Lowes, then evaluate and then go to a Western Union or Money Gram company and evaluate their effectiveness. The check was broken down to 1.) probationary training pay $200, 2.)Required Fund to be transferred, $2450.00, 3.) Service Charges $120, 4.) Funds needed for Shopping $2900. I was to fill out the enclosed form and fax it to 514-221-2117.

I called Moneygram payment systems, INC. They transferred me to the official check department. When I gave them the check number and the bank they said the check number and the bank name matched the amount, but the check had already been cashed January 2007. They said it was a fraud check. I proceeded to call the number on the list 514-655-0807. The man that answered the phone was a foreigner. He told me the name of the company. He then asked me my name. I did not give it. He asked my why I was calling. I said that he sent me a fraudulent check. I told him his company was a scam. His answer was "So".

I have done secret shopping before but this one is a total scam which could get you into some very bad trouble with your bank and the law if you cash their checks.

Margaret
Rockledge, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/20/2008 02:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/columbia-consumer-research/baltimore-maryland-21201/columbia-consumer-research-mystery-shopper-check-scam-consumer-surevey-specialist-balt-393351. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content