Complaint Review: CompUSA

• Reported By: fort lauderdale Florida
  • CompUSA
    1740 N. Federal Hwy Ft
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I was in line on thanksgiven with too many people. Many people didn't realize yet. But this is a incredible fraud. I waited on the line to get the laptop which was on the first page of advertising paper. $199 was the price. I got the laptop after being exhausted and getting to tried in the line. They offered on the ad Compaq Notebook and they said "burns & plays CDs & DVDs". I was happy to get the laptop. After next day I want to burn DVD and realized that it didn't have a DVD burner. just burns cds. I went to copmUSA next day. I want to talk to compUSA manager, I explained him the situation. The manager said "what do u ecpect from this price if yo don't like it return it." I said "I was in the line for this product you have to give me the right one." He said "He can't give one they miss spelled the ad." I said "This is right what you are doing?" He said "He doesn't care if you want I can take it back and he said look at price how can we give dvd burner with this price" I said " So many people bought this product you can't do this to pople". I didn't want to fight with the guy just left.

I guess this was the their sales strategy on the thanksgiven night. Can they just say miss spelling and sale millions dollars from this laptop and just go away? I am so disappointed, I got even sick fro this. I can't believe that this is happening in USA. I lost money but I lost psychological a lot more then money.

Brian
fort lauderdale, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/26/2006 04:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/compusa/fort-lauderdale-florida-33305/compusa-very-big-fraud-1000s-people-waited-in-line-for-a-fraud-sales-on-thanksgiven-night-222309. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
2Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 Consumer Suggestion

False advertising is the real issue here.

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

The OP is correct. The advertisement is binding. They have proof readers who have to accept the ad copy before it runs. If Comp USA reps did not catch it, they are obligated to live up to the ad.

All of the other issues here are irrelevant.

Brian, do you still have a copy of the ad? If not go to the newspaper co or library and try to get a back issue.

The ad is your evidence of false advertising.

The amount you paid is irrelevant. If they advertised a computer with a CD/DVD burner, that is what they need to give you. Their mistake, not yours.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

A laptop comes in a big box. Right on the side, under the model number, it tells you exactly what the computer inside contains.

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

Plus, you already know that DVD BURNERS start at higher prices.

So what, the thing doesn't have a DVD burner? Besides, DVD is already an antique.

You should have saved up and bought a blue-ray laptop. Right now, they are top of the line.

You want to burn DVDs? External drive. About $50 to $60. It plugs right into the USB port.

If I were you, I'd just be glad that you didn't end up with a toaster. You gotta look at the box when you buy something.

Christ! You don't take the word of those idiots at the computer store. Most of them are kids looking to make extra money so that they can go party.

Some of them don't even know the difference between CD and DVD.

Whenever you buy something, you have to check to make sure you're getting the right thing.

I notice that you didn't return the thing. For $200, you got a basic Compaq notebook. That's a bargain, even if you do have to add on a burner.