Report: #125129

Complaint Review: Cross Country Bank Visa

  • Submitted: Thu, December 30, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, January 08, 2005
  • Reported By: canoga park California
  • Cross Country Bank Visa
    cross country bank .com
    Long Beach, California

Show customers why they should trust your business over your competitors...

I had an out standing bill for my visa card so they started garnessing my wages the first check they only been taking a certin amount then they started taking my whole check I havent seen any of my checks in the month of december I thought that they can only take 23% of each check I am now getting kicked out I have a dissable wife and 2 kids that are getting kicked out with me now

I only owed them 2300 so far they have taken one check for 840 then 1020 then 848 then I payed them out of my pocket 300 you do the math if you can help me right a way it will be great because my land lord has been paicent but this is going in to a second month

canoga park, California
Is this Ripoff Report About you?
Ripoff Report A business' first line of defense on the Internet.
If your business is willing to make a commitment to customer satisfaction Click here now..

Does your business have a bad reputation? Fix it the right way. Corporate Advocacy Program™

Set the record straight: Arbitration Program

SEO Reputation Management at its best!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/30/2004 05:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

Search for additional reports

If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:

Report & Rebuttal
Respond to this report!
Also a victim?
Repair Your Reputation!

Updates & Rebuttals


#1 Consumer Suggestion


AUTHOR: Sherri - (U.S.A.)

With some of the underhanded things Cross Country Bank has been known to do, it would not surprise me if they set up a fake "Direct Deposit" in order to take your wages, as there is no way in hell any court in California will allow 100% garnishment of disposable wages, not even for major child support past-due obligations (50% is the absolute maximum I have ever seen on that, and is rare). Don't ask..DEMAND a copy of the so-called Wage Assignment. IF there is one, check it against the records at the courthouse.

Good luck.
Respond to this report!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Good Suggestion

AUTHOR: Unhappy Customer - (U.S.A.)

I recommend In that situation, you File for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. Since they already have scarred your credit anyways. Get a Legal Aid Lawyer, about 250.00 for fileing and give them a Docket number. That will stop them right in their tracks. If they try to collect after you have filed with the Federal courts. Then thats considered Racketeering and a serious crime. Just a thought for you.........
Respond to this report!

#3 Consumer Suggestion

You Need To See An Attorney ASAP!

AUTHOR: S.n. - (U.S.A.)

I am not aware of any state that has a law in place where they can garnish one hundred percent of your wages. I am not an attorney. I am someone who deals with payroll issues and not in the state where you work and reside. You need to contact someone immediately about whether your employer broke the law in taking all of your check. Make sure you have all of your paperwork in hand when you do see someone.
Respond to this report!

#4 Consumer Comment

Several years ago I went through exactly what you have described. .

AUTHOR: Murray - (U.S.A.)

Hi Darrell,

S.n. is correct but who ever told you that you must sign the court order is giving you misinformation. The court order is given to your employer and it is up to him to act on it within the next pay period, but by law he cannot take more than 25 percent of your pay for any single pay period. Many employers try to take more than the 25 percent out of each paycheck either because they are not aware of the law or they are just trying to get it over with as fast as possible in order to be less of a hassle for them. If your employer does not make it right by you then get a copy of the court order from him and then call the local police. If the police do not want to do anything then call the State Labor Board.
Respond to this report!

#5 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Tell me if its right

AUTHOR: Darrell - (U.S.A.)

thank you for taking out time to really listsen to me but the thing I need to know is is it ok to take every single dime I made I recived no money to pay bills for the month of december they took every single dime of check
Respond to this report!

#6 Consumer Suggestion

See Your Payroll Department on Monday!

AUTHOR: S.n. - (U.S.A.)

Your paycheck cannot be garnished without the correct legal paperwork. Your company has to have this in order to take any money out of your check. If they did, then I'd suggest you contact your local District Attorney to see if you have any recourse or contact a local attorney to see what you have to do. When searching for an attorney, find one that will not charge you unless he/she can do something for you. Good Luck.
Respond to this report!

#7 REBUTTAL Individual responds

What do I do next

AUTHOR: Darrell - (U.S.A.)

I cant get to the office until monday but Im almost sure that they dont have one because you have to sign for it and I didnnt sign any thing If I find out they dont have one can you refur me to someone because of there mistake Im getting kicked out of my house and I need money fast like in the next to weeks
Respond to this report!

#8 Consumer Suggestion


AUTHOR: S.n. - (U.S.A.)

I, as an employer, have the responsibility to garnish your wages if I receive the proper paperwork from a court indicating that you owe money and that proper court action has been taken. I do not, by law, have to notify you that you are being garnished but I do attach a copy of the garnishment to your first paycheck that is garnished. I can't stop garnishment without a court order telling me to stop garnishing your wages. A wage assignment would something you were voluntarily doing which a court required garnishment is not. Did your employer give you a copy of the garnishment order from the court? If not, go to the payroll department and request a copy. They have no reason to deny you a copy of the order. If your employer took out more than is allowed by law or that is allowed by the order, then your employer would be responsible for the problem. Get a copy of the order first and find out what it says.
Respond to this report!

#9 REBUTTAL Individual responds

I have paper work

AUTHOR: Darrell - (U.S.A.)

You know its funny because I was told yester day that they can only take 25% of wages and you have to have a wage assignment order in order to even take my money I never signed any wage assignment from the courts so if this is true ther is something really wrong with this picture I have all my pay check stubs for you or what ever you need and if things go right I will donate to your company darrell rogers
Respond to this report!

#10 Consumer Suggestion

Do You Have A Copy Of The Garnishment?

AUTHOR: S.n. - (U.S.A.)

The company you work for should have provided you with a copy of the garnishment order. There should be the total amount they can take by law per pay period and the scheduled amount they will take until the debt is paid. If your company did NOT provide you with a copy of the garnishment, demand one. The company that pays you has to have a copy of the garnishment order from the court in order to legally take any money out of your paycheck that has not been authorized by you personally. If they removed more from your check than is allowed by law, contact the Department of Labor and find out what you can do to recover your money. In Kansas you cannot take someone's entire paycheck for a garnishment that has to do with a regular lawsuit or unpaid bills (child support is a different matter). Someone with garnishment knowledge in California may be able to give you further advice. Good luck.
Respond to this report!
Ripoff Report Recommends
ZipBooks Accounting Software

Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.