Complaint Review: Dell

Nationwide
    USA

Dell Delayed product, Canceled Product, Bad Customer Service Nationwide

A Modern Day Grinch that Steals Christmas

Most of us grew up with the story of the green furry creature that hates Christmas and steals all the presents away from families. Well, I never fathomed that a major name company would out right act as the Grinch, but this year I was proven wrong. This company has had the gull to screw people out of their holiday presents, lie about it and shadily steal potential business from other companies. I have yet to see a news story exposing their cold hearted deeds. So that is what I am set out to do. Expose what has been happening this holiday season in hopes that other families will not suffer in the future and perhaps, just perhaps, make the company’s corporate hearts grow a few sizes bigger this year.

My daughter put a laptop on her wish list this year and I decided it was a good present that she will need for years to come. I knew that Black Friday would be a good time to look for a great deal. I found a few, but ultimately decided to buy online at Dell.com. Their deals started early on Thanksgiving, so that morning I ordered 2 laptops along with Microsoft 365 1yr for the laptops. Dell stated that the laptop would arrive on or before 12/4/15. I received a confirmation email with this same information.

At 1:24am on 12/3 I received a text message stating that the laptops would be delayed until 12/10. Then on 12/9 at one 1:24am I received another text now delaying my order until 12/18. Low and behold on 12/17 at 1:19am, I receive yet another text stating the order would be delayed until 1/4. Note that every notification was made around 1am the day before the laptops were to be at my house

At this point I was concerned as the laptop for my daughter would not arrive until after Christmas. One of my greatest joys in life is the look of children on Christmas morning opening their presents, especially when it is something they really wanted. The surprise, excitement, and joy is priceless. Now I was being told that moment was going to be taken away from us, which left me a little frustrated. So that same day, I called Dell to see if there was any way to expedite the order for Christmas.

I called, got disconnected, called back and got transferred to 7/8 different people.  One person explained that although my shipping has been delayed, per their system, ultimately the order would be canceled. Needless to say I was not happy. He told me that I would have to repurchase the laptops at the current price, not the Black Friday sales price. The next person informed me that my order was not being canceled and there was no way I could get anything by Christmas. Ultimately, after being unsuccessfully transferred to a supervisor I needed to get back to work.

The next day I tried again while recording everything this time and I immediately asked for a supervisor at the home office. Needless to say I was transferred around again and before I finally reached a supervisor they confirmed my order would be canceled at anytime now. When the supervisor got on the phone they told me my order was at the “end of life/term” and it would be canceled (this is less than 30 days since my order was made). I asked him to confirm that I had just received a notification yesterday at 1am stating a new delivery date of 1/4 but now he is telling me that is not true as the order will be canceled. He confirmed this. At this point I read part of the FTC Mail, Internet, or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule (ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/business-guide-ftcs-mail-internet-or-telephone-order) stating that they needed to have a reasonable basis for a new shipping date, but they are telling me they knew the order would be canceled. I explained that should Dell not work with me on this issue, I would file complaints and notify media of their practices as my internet research has shown I am not the only one they have done this to this holiday season (consumeraffairs.com/computers/dell_svc.html , bbb.org/central-texas/business-reviews/computers-dealers/dell-inc-in-round-rock-tx-41453/complaints/ , trustpilot.com/review/www.dell.co.uk ) The supervisor told me to go ahead and file the complaints and he suggested I talk to corporate but was not able to provide a phone number nor transfer me there. Unsurprisingly, all other numbers I tried led to the same operators and customer service with the same lack of information for corporate.

So with all that said let me highlight the shady practices.

1. They are selling items they know they do not have and this does not just cover laptops. Read the reviews, people are having similar problems with cameras, gaming systems, and tvs.

2. They are lying about shipping dates. They knew in their system that my laptop would not be delivered and would ultimately be canceled. So the question is how soon did they know as they were sending delays with new dates.

3. They are making money off of software/accessories. I got the software download for 365 and they charged me for it, but now I have software with no computer to put it on. When I tried to do a return online it gave me an error, and going through customer service is a joke.

4. They are taking business away from other companies. If I would have known I would not get a product from Dell, I would have gone to one of the other major dealers/brands. If I were one of the other major companies, I would be looking into this deceitful practice and using it as a selling point – “We will actually get you your product”.

5. There is no one to speak to about your complaints/concerns. No matter who you talk to, they will not help you and there is no way to get in touch with corporate per their own customer service, which every number seems to lead to.

I find it very disappointing that a major business can continue to treat consumers like this. The fact that many will not have their presents to open on Christmas morning is disheartening. I am very thankful that my family has also shared the tradition of watching the Grinch Christmas special, because we too know that Christmas is not all about the gifts. We know what the true spirit of Christmas is and will not let the Grinch actions of Dell destroy it for us. I hope that other families affected by their actions can do the same.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/18/2015 05:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/dell/nationwide/dell-delayed-product-canceled-product-bad-customer-service-nationwide-1275141. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content