Complaint Review:

• Submitted: Thu, August 25, 2011
  • Updated: Fri, April 25, 2014

• Reported By: Diane — Colton California United States of America
DeVry University
12345 Main Street, Ortonville, MI 48462 Clarkston, California United States of America

DeVry University REBUTTAL TO THE NEGATIVE REPORTS ABOUT DEVRY UNIVERSITY Clarkston, California

*Consumer Comment: devry university response to #769294

*General Comment: devry university

*General Comment: this school is a scam, don't take up for them

REBUTTAL BOX™ | Respond to this Report! | Consumer Comment

Corporate Advocacy Program

Set the record straight:
Arbitration Program

I just read all the negative reports about DeVry University on this website and I must make a general rebuttal on behalf of DeVry. I have been attending this school for one year and I love everything about it. The professors are great and very knowledgeable, the classes are very challenging, the financial aid and student services people are always available and always helpful. I am truly shocked by the negative reports I am reading. I am not sure what DeVry campuses the previous authors are going to, but it certainly cannot be my particular campus!

I am also not sure why the previous reports on this website state that there is fraudulent activity in the financial aid offices of DeVry. I have not experienced this NOR has any employee at DeVry ever promised me "free money" or a quick and easy degree. They make sure I know that I have to pay my student loans back, I had to sign a master promissory note (required by FAFSA), and DeVry actually just did an audit of my FAFSA and my 2010 taxes to make sure that I was not lying on my FAFSA in order to get more grant or student loan money.

The classes here are very difficult and I take offense at the people who said the classes are super easy and are a joke. This takes away from all the hours and hours of studying that I have done in order to get As in my classes at DeVry. An example of some of my classes and my respective grades:  Statistics 220 (got a B), Business Law 420 (got an A), Financial Accounting 212 (got an A), Advanced Composition (got an A), College Algebra 092 (got an A).  These classes were some of the most difficult courses I have every taken and I already have a college degree from another brick and mortar school!

Wow everyone. Please do your own research on this school before you believe what disgruntled people are posting here. DeVry is an awesome school, it is not a "diploma mill", the professors are unbelievably intelligent, and the courses are very very challenging. My algebra professor alone is brilliant! He received his PhD in Chemical Engineering from Rice University.

DeVry is a great school. I am so thankful I picked it over a state school where you cannot even get the classes you need because state schools are so cheap.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/25/2011 12:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/devry-university/clarkston-california-48462/devry-university-rebuttal-to-the-negative-reports-about-devry-university-clarkston-calif-769294. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DeVry University

devry university response to #769294

AUTHOR: careerminded - (USA)

I am a devry graduate.  As a student, I thought the courses were challenging.  I loved the fact they had students helping out other students in their classes / projects (until the last sessions since the older ones have graduated).

I took BSCET.  I told my admissions consultant i wanted software engineering.  He put me in classes that I did not have pre requisites on (because the class was not offered).  I took it as a challenge but it reflected in my grades.

After graduation, when I was looking for a job, I was shocked that employers were not interested in me.  DeVry did not give me the opportunity to go through an internship training (the teachers changed some of my A grades so I would not qualify).

Potential employers told me they were not accredited by ABET (the accrediting agency for technology).  I was shocked since I paid about $120,00 for education.  They were accredited for the higher learning, but this accrediting agency does not know the needs of the students so they can get jobs!

The faculty was not supportive when I asked them if I can use them as a reference for employment purposes.

There is a lot of grade changing here.  And, since I was the only woman in class, some of my professors were prejudiced and did everything so i would not succeed.  Example, I was given an exam that was not discussed in class,  I was asked to withdraw from class, an instructor who gave the answers to the homework to favorite students and the whole class was expected to copy the answers from these students.  i did not like copying and got punished for it.

Student loans, I was charged even when I did not attend sessions, did not receive full refunds, i paid for health insurance and when I needed it, it did not exist and a whole lot more!!!!

Be careful.  I found there are better online courses that what devry had to offer, at 98% discount compared to devry's costs.

#2 General Comment

devry university

AUTHOR: steve johnson - ()

please dont take up for this money hungry school. they are with holding my VA post 9/11 payments and will not release them. as a veteran i am almost homeless and with no money to pay my bills and so i need my money. and this school is a sham. i havent learned anything. a big lie. their career service center sucks and you will never get a job with their help. what a joke. im quitting all my classes on monday.

#3 General Comment

this school is a scam, don't take up for them

AUTHOR: john smith - ()

this school is a scam. please don't take up for them. yea sure they are great if you are nice with them and keep your bills paid and dont drop. but they have stolen my money, no one can locate it and i hear different answers as to when it shows up in my account, etc. Oh and their online career services suck and some of the professors online are not so interactive. I am done with this scam of a school.