Complaint Review: Dish-Network

United States of America

Dish-Network Lied about Internet Download Limits Internet

*Consumer Comment: Agree Completely with Report

*UPDATE Employee: Your Post

We have satellite internet through Dish Network. After the guy installed it, as he was walking out the door, he said, "Oh, by the way, there's a 10 gb download limit."

"What do you mean by a 10 gb limit? I didn't have that with cable."

He said, "Oh, don't worry about it. It's just you and your wife. Just don't play any online games and you'll never hit the monthly limit."

"What happens if I do hit the limit?"

"Nothing really. You're internet will slow down to the speed of dial-up. That's all. We won't charge you extra or anything like that. Besides, like I said, as long as you don't play online games, you'll never hit the limit."

"What about Pay-per-view movies, on demand, and Blockbuster movies?"

"That has nothing to do with the limit. It does come from the internet, but it's downloaded by the TV receiver, not a computer. Our system knows the difference."

Fast forward 4 months. Dish is charging me a fortune in overage charges. We're still not playing online games, but we hit the limit every month. PPV, On Demad, and Blockbuster DO COUNT AGAINST YOUR LIMIT, which is so small that even a few YouTube videos will eat it up.

And if that's not bad enough, the free sports and movie packages that should have expired after 3 months did not, in spite of my repeated calls before the expiration. This means Dish is charging me extra for movie channels and packages I never ordered.

Anyone else in this boat? If you're not, but you're considering Dish, DON'T. You'll be glad I told you.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/29/2012 02:51 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/dish-network/internet/dish-network-lied-about-internet-download-limits-internet-988662. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
2Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Agree Completely with Report

AUTHOR: bowenp - ()

I have been a dish broadband customer for four months now.  I've been through hell and back with this terrible service through Hughes Net.  Our internet cycle runs from the 26th of each month and we were gone for seven out of the last 15 days and three of the remaining 8 days we were not online one minute.  We don't stream videos we don't watch tv online we don't do anything but browse the web and do some online shopping.  All of a sudden our internet came to a screeching halt.  When I called Dish the RUDE rep insisted that they were right and I am wrong and that we're over our limit.  There is no way physically possible and because dish doesn't track the usage it's impossible to tell what caused the overage.  They could say we're over after day one and there is nothing we can do about it.

Your Post

AUTHOR: MikeL DISH - ()

HL,

The representative was correct in that the limit doesn't have anything to do with the Blockbuster, PPV, or OnDemand service as that's TV service, which is separate from internet.  I'd like to help you further with the concern about the internet if you could please email me your account number at michael.lemar@dish.com.