Complaint Review: Dish Network

• Reported By:
  • Dish Network

Nationwide

Do not get Dish Network

I have had Dish Network for approx 6 months. For the first month or so it was fine. Other than a few times of getting no reception during bad weather, it was OK.

Recently, for some unknown reason, the reception problem has gotten so bad that watching a show has become impossible. Approx every 10-15 seconds, the screen will go blank and a box will appear that states the signal has been lost.

Of course, I called them and one of their "technicians" walked me through a series of diagnostic tests using the remote...which did nothing to solve the problem. Since then, I have called at least 3 times and gotten the same lack of support. They actually told me that even though I do not get a constant signal for more than 10 seconds, I still have to pay for the service and I'm obligated to do so for 12 months.

I asked if they could send someone out to inspect it and was told "it will be $119 just to get someone out there." I was even told by someone there to "take the receiver to a friend's house that has Dish Network to see if it works for them"...doesn't seem like a standard customer service policy to me. I asked how I can terminate my contract...they said "by paying us $240." So even though I am paying them for a service, basically it's up to me to fix any problems...what a policy!!

After some investigating, I found out that there are local cable companies that offer incentives for switching over to their service. I have since given in and am going to pay the $240 to Dish Network just to end this madness. However, I am receiving $200 in coupons to use for my new cable service.

Don't make the same mistake I did...go with cable TV....at least until the science of satellite TV is enhanced....or Dish Network takes a SERIOUS look at their customer service policies!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/19/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/dish-network/nationwide/do-not-get-dish-network-7938. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content