Complaint Review: Dollar General

• Reported By: Georgetown South Carolina
  • Dollar General
    1936 S Frasier St
    Georgetown, South Carolina

A few days ago I went into a Dollar General and bought some candy that had a large yellow price sign in front of it. When I got to the register the item rang up at a higher price. I told the cashier the sale price and she said, " it was probaly put in the wrong place." I asked to speak to the manager and we all three went to the item and the manager moved one of the sale signs and underneath was the higher price. She said, " this (sale) price is for another item, you have to read the sign (small print)." I asked if I could have the item for the sale price and she said, "NO". I then asked if she was going to remove the wrong price sign and again she said "NO". A little while later I called the store and spoke to the same manager and asked for their Home Office phone # but she gave me the wrong number. I called the store again and asked for the manager and for the correct number and she told me she was busy and I would have to call back. Once again I called and was finally given the right number which I called and had to leave a message. A week later and I have yet to hear from any one.This is the second time this has happened regarding false prices. I like this store because it is convenient and inexpensive but unless this is resloved I will not shop there. Beware of this problem because it happens often and may not be realized.

Anonymous
Georgetown, South Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/04/2009 07:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/dollar-general/georgetown-south-carolina-29449/dollar-general-dollar-general-false-pricing-georgetown-south-carolina-476233. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
6Consumer
0Employee/Owner

So

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

" I asked to speak to the manager and we all three went to the item and the manager moved one of the sale signs and underneath was the higher price. She said, ' this (sale) price is for another item, you have to read the sign (small print).' "

This is what you originally stated, which sounds like the sale sign had a different item listed on it than the sign underneath.

Did both signs indicate the same product? Or was one sign for one product and the other sign for a different product?

One is false advertising, the other is what I talked about in my previous post. I too worked in the grocery business (between grocery stores and convenience stores for 11 years)

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

What you say is accurate however I worked at a large retail grocery store for 13 years and I know a little of what I am talking about. All of the sale signs where placed over the original higher prices, mistake maybe. That the store manager would not remove the incorrect price is unacceptable.

False pricing

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

""She said, ' this (sale) price is for another item, you have to read the sign (small print).'""

This is not false pricing. You stated that the sign does indicate a different product, it may be in small print, but it does indicate a different product. Another customer could have moved your item to that spot. Someone could have move the sale sign there in an attempt to defraud the store. There are many reasons why the sign could have been there. Either way you were trying to get an item for a price that did not match the item you had. You always need to read the signs thoroughly to make sure you have the correct item.

I worked in a grocery store for many years running the service desk, this is a routine complaint, and we would not honor a price on a product with a different sign.