Complaint Review: Doubleday Book Club - doubledaybookclub.com

• Doubleday Book Club - doubledaybookclub.com
    PO Box 916400
    Rantoul, Illinois
    United States of America

Doubleday Book Club - doubledaybookclub.com MISLEADING BUSINESS PRACTICES - BEWARE Rantoul, Illinois

I signed up for Doubleday Book Club 2 years ago.  As with most "book clubs" there was a certain number of books to fulfill the commitment.   Since I did not fulfill my commitment, I received a letter and a total of what I would be billed if I did not purchase 4 books by a certain date.  No mention of HOW MUCH the books MUST cost in order to fulfill the commitment, just what they "average" their per book cost to be.  No problem, I made a commitment and need to fulfill it.  Last month, I purchased the number of books needed to fulfill my commitment and went on my way.

I just received a bill for $18.54 for each book-for a total of $74.16.  When I called, I was told that the books had to be a minimum of $9.99 each in order to count towards the commitment.  I explained that that information is not presented on the letter I received NOR the website.  I was told that it was in my contract when I signed up 2 YEARS AGO!  I can only question, if the company isn't trying to "hide" something and get extra orders, why wouldn't this information be clearly presented on their correspondence/website?  Nevertheless, I said OK, then if it is $9.99, why am I not being billed $9.99 each, but $18.54 each?  I was then told that the selections can be on items up to $40 each.  Well, the vast majority of the items on the site are priced under $18.54 so now I feel I am being ripped-off on the items.

You can get some great deals through these clubs so I am not suggesting not using them, but buyer beware as far as fulfilling the commitment.

In retrospect, before placing my order last month, I should have called them to verify how much the items had to cost in order to count.  I just feel that by not making the information easily accessible they are misleading their customers and it doesn't make me comfortable in purchasing from a company that is so non-transparent.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/20/2010 06:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/doubleday-book-club-doubledaybookclubcom/rantoul-illinois-61866/doubleday-book-club-doubledaybookclubcom-misleading-business-practices-beware-rantou-625027. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content