Complaint Review: DriveTime

• Reported By: K Fisher — Houston Texas USA
  • DriveTime

Nationwide
    USA

Purchased vehicle 4/14/16 with no issues and amazing efficiency. Well, now I know why. The vehicle stranded me on the side of the road on 5/25/16. Warranty company, Aeverex, referred me to nearest approved vendor (Pep Boys) for service and towing. Tow was supposed to happen within an hour but vehicle wasnt picked up until 7 hours later...thats a whole other story though. Warranty with Aeverex will not cover anything. Instructed to call the loan company. Tamisha (sp) at Bridgecrest confirmed I would have to pay out of pocket $1278 for a vehicle I have had less than 45 days and barely driven 500 miles. She basically explained how it wasn't her problem and agreed to "escalate" it to a manager for review but it would likely take 5 days for an answer due to Memorial Holiday. I explained this was unacceptable and she basically said too bad. She also told me that I could back out of loan without affecting my credit but I would not receive my $1000 down payment back. In fact, I may owe more money because they would charge me $1/mile for each that Ive driven since purchase! I then called corporate and spoke with Ashley in Customer Relations who said she would have to request estimate "to see" if there was anything she could do. I stressed that I wanted to file a formal complaint and she babbled abt documenting the situation at her level. For a first-time customer with DriveTime, this is a very unfair situation. I do not have anyone to drive me around, I work downtown, I just started a new job and I lost my other vehicle during the floods April 2016. I paid $1000 down for a vehicle advertised as 'rigorously inspected and reliable' which is hardly the case if it's already inoperable. To add insult to injury, Ashley says the information about backing out of the loan is incorrect and it will show as a voluntary repossession. Regret, regret, regret.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/27/2016 04:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/drivetime/nationwide/drivetime-tempe-az-nationwide-1308165. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

2Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Second repair in as many weeks

AUTHOR: - ()

Approved Aeverex warranty vendor, Pep Boys, completed repairs (Drivetime finally agreed to cover minus deductible and diagnosticdl) 6/4/16 and I pick up vehicle. By Monday 6/6/16, I was again stranded on the highway due to the vehicle overheating. Return to repair center, leave for a whole day to be told they replaced the fans bcuz they aren't staying on. Another day later, vehicle overheating and they are "baffled." Recommendation: Pick up vehicle and take to Volkswagen dealership. Contacted Customer Relations and was insulted by Aaron (emp id P0MR) who reminded me that I bought a used vehicle and issues could have started post-purchase. He showed very little concern for my situation and repeated the same information like a recording. After many unsuccessful tries to get out of this vehicle (keep the deposit, take it back, keep it off my credit), I was told that I couldve backed out of the loan if I hadnt made any payments. As of now, Im stuck with an inoperable vehicle I haven't had 60 days, absent $1000 deposit, absent $211 in alternative transportation fees, one day and 4 hours of lost wages and the overwhelming stress of being ****** raw by this company. They do not care abt the wellbeing of their customers as it relates to their lemons. Do not purchase a vehicle from them.

That is the reason for the warranty that came with the vehicle...that doesn't cover the repairs.

AUTHOR: - ()

DriveTime misrepresented that the vehicle was 'rigorously inspected and reliable' which was clearly not the case. Kim - Houston, Texas

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Did you do this first?

AUTHOR: Really - (USA)

I have never heard of Drive Time; but since they do not have a car manufactorer in the name, I am assuming that they are a used car dealership.  Prior to buying the car that you did, did you take it to a private mechanic to see if there was anything wrong with the car.  Most will charge a fee, my mechanic charges $60 as an example.  Back in 2006, I bought a used car from a national chain and I brought it to my mechanic against the dealerships wishes.  It turns out that the car had a faulty oxygen sensor and one of the windows didn't go up or down.  I made the dealership fix both problems prior to me buying the car, and no charge to me, and I took the car back to my mechanic afterwards and gave the car a clean bill of health the best that he could given the mileage and age of the car.  The car never gave me any problems since I bought it.  9 times out of 10, people buy a used car without it getting checked out first and is sold as is meaning no warranty and then complain when something happens.  Unfortunately, this type of problem is on them even if there was prior knowledge that there was something wrong with the car.