Complaint Review: eMusic

244 5th Ave. Ste 2070
    New York, New York
    United States of America

eMusic Continuous fraudulant charges. Hemet, California

For the last year eMusic has made several attempts to charge my PayPal account for services that I have never signed up for.  PayPal has had to change my account information 4 times (the 4th time being in May 2009) in the last year to attempt to stop these unauthorized transactions.

On 8/18/09 I received an email from PayPal alerting me to two eMusic transactions ($9.99 & $11.99).  I contacted PayPal and they were able to block the transactions before they went through.  Then sometime after that phone conversation eMusic tried again....this time with three transactions ($9.99, $11.99 & $9.99)...which I didn't find out about until this morning (8/19/09).  Unfortunately those transactions went through and eMusic got their money.  Consequently I had to, once again, change my PayPal account information.

As I said....I have never signed up for their service...however....there have been several occasions when I downloaded something off the Internet and when the download was finished I noticed an icon on my desktop for eMusic offering 50 free music downloads.  It seems that they slipped in on the coat tails of the programs I had downloaded.  Each time I have contacted eMusic's support staff and told them I didn't want their service and they have assured me that there would be no charges (which, of course, was a lie).

I have written the president/CEO of their company several times and even threatened to take legal action but....as was made evident this morning...that does not deter them.

I have spoken to several people who have said that they have experienced the same problem....so mine is not an isolated incident.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/19/2009 10:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/emusic/new-york-new-york-10001/emusic-continuous-fraudulant-charges-hemet-california-482333. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content