Complaint Review: Experian

• Experian
    535 ANTON BLVD #100
    COSTA MESA, California
    United States of America

Experian FreeCreditReport.com/ConsumerInfo.com Fraudulent Credit Card Charge for unknown purpose (wasn't me) COSTA MESA, California

*Author of original report: Global Payments Data breach related?

Noticed a charge on my American Express (AMEX) for $19.95 on a Sunday (4/29/12). Looked at the info:

EXPERIAN

Merchant Address:
535 ANTON BLVD #100
COSTA MESA
CA 92626 UNITED STATES

I thought that was odd, since I've never been to the website and don't do any business with Experian. Also, I'm one of those people that is fairly aware when there is a sneaky checkbox that will sign you up to an offer, or those "free" gifts that automatically roll over into a monthly charge later.

Reason I'm creating this report is because I've noticed a lot of people complaining about the same thing online, and a large uptick in complaints in the last few months (especially as of may 1st):

Not sure if my card was compromised, or Experian was compromised and already had my card from some other transaction. Regardless, something really screwed up is at hand, and I'm surprised it's still happening.

Eugene

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/02/2012 10:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/experian/costa-mesa-california-92626/experian-freecreditreportcomconsumerinfocom-fraudulent-credit-card-charge-for-unknown-p-877102. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
0Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Global Payments Data breach related?

AUTHOR: Eugene - (United States of America)

Just got home and received a letter from American Express stating that my account was one of many account compromised due to a data breach from a payment service provider. I'm assuming this is related to the Global Payments data breach from last month and that's how they got my credit card number. From the information I've been reading, scammers are using these stolen credit card numbers to run credit reports on other people (to get more information for future identity theft).