Complaint Review: Expert Locksmith

• Reported By: Falls Church Virginia
  • Expert Locksmith
    320 7th Avenue, Brooklyn 11215
    New York, New York

Expert Locksmith Bait-and-switch on emergency lock replacement New York New York

I was on vacation when lock on my door broke and pet sitter could not get in to feed pets for two days. I called Expert Locksmith from abroad, told them my pet sitter was locked out, lock had to be either fixed or replaced. They said it would cost $45 for the call and replacement lock would start at $36. I ordered service based on those price quotes.

Hours and many phone calls later, locksmith finally arrives, says it will cost $215 for the call, and replacement lock costs $99. Says price went up because I did not say was emergency lockout, even though I did. I ended up paying more than $300, over the phone, because I had no choice.

I complained to BBB in NY when I returned. Expert Locksmith offered to donate $200 in my name to charity. BBB indicated this was not the usual way such cases are resolved. I rejected offer because I had no way of confirming the donation.

Lessons: Double check your locks before going on vacation. Have name of reliable locksmith in your neighborhood with you just in case. When you call for service, state clearly and repeatedly that it is an emergency and you are locked out. If possible, get them to fax or text or email their service and replacement costs before ordering service so that you have record if they try to inflate the price later.

Maria
Falls Church, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/21/2008 01:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/expert-locksmith/new-york-new-york-11215/expert-locksmith-bait-and-switch-on-emergency-lock-replacement-new-york-new-york-393694. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content