Complaint Review: Fox Rent A Car

• Reported By: pittsburgh Pennsylvania
  • Fox Rent A Car
    10121 Glasgow Place
    Los Angeles, California

Fox Rent A Car ripoff, $218 weekly rental become $831 weekly rental, Beware of Fox rent a car Los Angeles California

I booked a car rental for $218 a week with unlimited mileage with Travelocity. The car rental was Fox rent a car in Los Angeles. When I pick up the car,the rental agent keep pressuring me to buy all kind of insurance and wouldn't take no for an answer.

Finally, after a long time he realized that was firm, he told me that to refuse insurance, I must intial few places on the rental contract and sign which I complied because I know that is a standard procedure as I rented cars many times before. I did not read the contract because I believe him.

When I return the car, they gave me a bill of $831. I asked for a reason, they told me that because I went to Utah. I told them that I have unlimited mileage, but they said not in Utah.

When I booked the reservation with Travelocity there was no restriction mentioned. Both the receipt and confirmation e-mail from Travelocity stated UNLIMITED MILEAGE. On the Fox rental contract, the car is limited to California, Nevada and Arizona only. I went to Zion national park which is about 40 miles inside Utah so I drove about 80 miles in Utah and they charged me $613 more.

When I asked how do they calculate the charge, because it seems excessive for 80 miles. They told me that because I went to Utah, I don't have unlimited mileage any more. All the mileage driven in California, Nevada and Arizona become limited mileage and charged at $0.35 a mile with an allowance of 100 miles per day.

I looked in the contract again and found no provision for such calculation. They insist that their charge is correct. I am going to dispute the charge with my credit card company because my original contract with Travelocity has no restriction to where I can go.

My advise is be careful when dealing with Fox rent a car or better yet don't deal with them at all. They advertise low price but when you pick up the car they WILL find a way to trick you.

Thanh
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/13/2004 10:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/fox-rent-a-car/los-angeles-california-09945/fox-rent-a-car-ripoff-218-weekly-rental-become-831-weekly-rental-beware-of-fox-rent-a-91402. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content