Complaint Review: Fox Rent-A-Car

• Reported By: South Hadley Massachusetts
  • Fox Rent-A-Car
    5500 W Century Blvd
    Los Angeles, California

Fox Rent-A-Car Still claiming CA state law for required liability insurance purchase Los Angeles California

I am disgusted. I always rented from Fox when I would go to CA from Massachusetts. I always bragged about how great their car selection was and how well priced they were. The last trip (Jan 2008) I was asked if I wanted to purchase their liability coverage. I declined and kindly told the gentleman that my credit card had coverage sufficient. He very quickly told me that the credit card would not cover the replacement cost of the vehicle and that California State Law required that I purchase Liability insurance to rent cars (I have a witness).

Being from MA, I was not aware of CA rental car law. What I was aware of was that I had just waited in an HOUR LONG LINE at 11:30 PM, told that the car I had reserved was no longer available but that he would upgrade me for the same cost (also a lie... i was later charged for the upgrade) and that I didn't have time to look up CA law... I wanted to get in the car and go to sleep. It was 2:30 am to my internal clock and I had been awake for nearly 24 hours.

Come to find out today. 2 months later. that Fox has a judgment filed against them from November of 2006. This judgment was filed by the Office of the Attorney General in CA. Part of that judgment was because they were REQUIRING customers to buy insurance to rent from them.

I have called and called. and have not yet received a call back. Their customer service line is only an answering machine which promises a call back but never delivers.

Not only will I never rent from them again (unless I am not paying for it by some miracle), but I will be sure to make sure EVERYONE who I come across who rents cars in CA knows EXACTLY what kind of business they are! STAY AWAY!

Jay b
South Hadley, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/25/2008 08:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/fox-rent-a-car/los-angeles-california/fox-rent-a-car-still-claiming-ca-state-law-for-required-liability-insurance-purchase-los-a-321129. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content