Complaint Review: Freedompop

Nationwide
    USA

Freedompop Holding my phone hostage after discontinuing service Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Read terms of service

So I bought a phone, the $3 service was horrible, and I upgraded to the $11 service.  Service in my home (wi-fi) was fine, but outside, I got nothing.  After several attempts to correct matters I gave up and canceled service.

Put my phone up for sale.

The prospective buyer tells me it hasn't been"released" yet.  I attempted to call Freedompop to straighten things out.  Turns out it's impossible to get a live person.

The buyer has a Sprint account, and my phone is using a sprint carrier, so he calls to see what's going on, eventually through sprint we talk to a Freedompop drone.

"WE don't release phones for 6 months -- it's policy"  Doesn't matter that I paid for the phone, the service is unavailable, they chose to hold the phone hostage so it can't be used on another network.  "We'll be happy to reactivate the phone"  (No comment concerning the lack of signal).

Bottom line --- I have a phone I can't use, can't sell.  Freedompop is getting a bad reputation.  No winners here.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/15/2017 03:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/freedompop/nationwide/freedompop-holding-my-phone-hostage-after-discontinuing-service-nationwide-1356307. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Read terms of service

AUTHOR: SoakedKarma - (USA)

been a freedompop custumer for 2 years.

TOS clearly states before they will unlock/release phone

• At least six (6) months have passed since the the device was registered with FreedomPop.
  • Your device hasn't been reported as lost or stolen.
  • Your device isn't associated with a fraudulent account.
  • Your device hasn't been included in a chargeback dispute.

to fully unlock your phone need to obtain DSU sim unlock from Sprint.
Not all sprint network phones are domestic SIM unlock (DSU) capable. Thus can not be used on other networks
SIM Unlock capable devices

Sprint won't unlock SIM until FP releases on their end..  You agreed to the contract
many Mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) require 1 year of service before they will release phone.