Complaint Review: Garmin

• Reported By: anonymous500 — Springfield Illinois USA
  • Garmin

Nationwide
    USA

Garmin tech support A person represented himself as a Garmin support tech Nationwide

I was trying to update my maps on my Garmin through their web we reached through a google search.   We were having problems and a popup came up on the screen introducing herself as Rachel (I think she said her last name was Huston) and could she help.  We had a very short conversation and she said she would have a tech support individual call me.

A person called giving his name as Willem Desai.  He said he asked a few questions and then said he would need to do a screen share in order to work on our Garmin.  He then acted as if he was performing testing of our unit and showed me where the report said my drivers were out of date.  He could fix it but needed tocharge for the drivers only since we had lifetime free map updates.  The charge would be 29.95.  He then asked for credit card info so he could start the work.  I gave him the info but questioned why he needed my DOB and he laughs and said that was so he could keep our data safe.  I wasn't so sure about that so the date I gave was not entirely correct.

He went on working while I watched for a while.  He called me several times from 1 772 247 0196 to see if I was still there and I was.  He looked like he was actually using Garmin software.  He said it was going to have to run overnight and he would call the next morning to let me know when completed.

When he called back he said that he needed me to get an Itunes gift card at the grocery store to pay for the work before he would install the maps.  I questioned him quite a bit and told him that this was highly irregular and I didn't think this was right.  He then got more insistent and even got into my computer again and showed me where the local grocery store was for me to go to.  They did do charges on my credit card that were fraudulent charges.  I used another device to talk to Garmin and they told me that this was fraud and helped me quite a bit.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/06/2017 06:58 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/garmin/nationwide/garmin-tech-support-a-person-represented-himself-as-a-garmin-support-tech-nationwide-1404576. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content