Complaint Review:

• Updated: Wed, February 10, 2016

• Reported By: Karen — Somersworth New Hampshire USA
Geico Insurance
, USA

Geico Insurance Geico found out my son just got his license and added him to my policy tripling my premium

*Consumer Comment: Another Fine Example Of Parenting Here!

REBUTTAL BOX™ | Respond to this Report! | Consumer Comment

Corporate Advocacy Program

Set the record straight:
Arbitration Program

My son got his license a couple of months ago, and we bought him his own car, paid in full as I don't want him driving my vehicle.  I just bought my vehicle last August, and it's my baby.  Because I live in the State of New Hampshire, if you vehicle is not financed (paid in full), you are not required to insure it.

My son does not yet have insurance as he just got a new job and is paying off some bills before he gets insurance.   I suddenly got an email from Geico stating that they have become aware that another person became a licensed driver in the house and therefore they were adding them to my policy.  I replied letting them know that no, he has his own vehicle and he doesn't drive mine.

They replied back stating that they only offer "family plans" and anyone that is a licensed driver in the house has to be added onto my policy regardless of the State laws.  This tripled my policy cost going from $1300 to $3200 which I cannot afford as I am on disability.  When they replied back, they answered my email stating it wasn't a choice and that they had adjusted my policy accordingly.  The only way I can avoid the higher amount is to send them proof of insurance for my son...which isn't needed for his vehicle.

I have emailed back stating that they don't have permission to charge my card any more than the original premium amount and I will be looking into other policies that are not "family" Policies as I didn't agree to that and wasn't told anything about it when I signed up last August.

I just find it ridiculous that they are obviously looking for ways to charge people more money as they somehow found out within about six weeks that my son got his license, and this "family" policy business is obviously a scam.  If he doesn't drive my car and my car is LISTED on the policy then why should he be listed?  I am not adding his car to my policy...good thing they can't figure out what cars we own as they would be adding the car too.

I am extremely frustrated and am going to start shopping around tonight to find a reasonable insurance company who actually listens to their customers and don't call me a liar about whether my son will drive my car.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/10/2016 09:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/geico-insurance/-/geico-insurance-geico-found-out-my-son-just-got-his-license-and-added-him-to-my-policy-tr-1286802. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Geico Insurance

Another Fine Example Of Parenting Here!

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

There may be laws in your state which supports their position. Beyond that however, you are going to go along with your son driving without insurance???????? I'm glad I don't live there which would put me in danger of still another jerk without proper insurance coverage...something his "parent" goes along with!