Complaint Review: GEICO

• GEICO

Internet
    United States of America

GEICO Geico does NOT honor their Auto INsurance Quotes, Internet

I am flat-out disgusted with Geico! 10 days ago, I purchased an auto insurance policy from them at a set rate, which quite honestly, was not all that competitive. I did just as well with quotes from All-State, Century 21, and Progressive. However, I chose Geico because a few of my family members use them and I thought they treated their customers well. Wow, was I wrong!!

After this policy was quoted to me, I proceeded to pay the down payment. They accepted payment and that being said, I expected they would stand by the price quoted. Again, I was wrong. An agent called me 9 days later stating that I would have to pay $1,000 more per year!!! When I asked why, the excuse was absolutely absurd. She claimed this was due to the fact that I have not had car insurance for the past 3 years. However, I have not had a vehicle for the past 3 years. Why would I need to have insurance if I did not have a vehicle?

It gets worse, I was then accused by the agent of driving my fiances car while being uninsured. I truly did not appreciate this interrogation; they are a car insurance company not the police. They continued with their accusations, saying they found it "hard to believe" that I have been licensed for the past 3 years, but haven't been driving. What am I supposed to do; surrender my driver's license to the DMV and have no form of identification? Not that its any of their business, but I worked in an urban area and was able to take public transportation to and from work. I recently got a new job and had a child so circumstances have changed. I guess well, normal life changes mean nothing to this company.

I honestly do not see how in the world this company supposedly has a 97% satisfaction rate or how theyre the best in nation. Their agents were rude, sarcastic, condescending, and their rates are not competitive at all.

Anyway, due to all of this, I cancelled my 9-day policy with them. When I called to cancel, the agent had the audacity to ask me if Id consider staying if she could save me some money. I told her that unless she can save me $1,000 per year, I am not interested. Of course, she couldnt.

Its so funny how 6 other insurance companies were able to quote me anywhere from $600-900 less than Geico and said the fact that I havent been driving for the past 3 years does not affect my rates or will have minimal effect on them. Some of the agents from the other companies even laughed when I told them Geico was going to charge me an extra $1000 for this. One agent said, "Wow, you would think they found a few speeding tickets on your record."

Let me just add, I am a 31-year-old female with no tickets, violations, points..I have a perfect driving record! I live in a small suburb, drive a safe mid-sized sedan with a passive alarm, drive only a few miles to work and back, have a college degree, average credit, and my car is parked in a garage at night. Geico's agent claimed that not having a car for the past 3 years made me go from an excellent driver to an average driver and a low-risk driver to moderate-risk driver. Average?? Moderate-risk?? Like I said...never had so much as a parking ticket and own a very safe vehicle that I only drive a few miles per day. Not one other insurance agent quoted me as an average driver; I was named as an excellent, low-risk driver by every other company I received a quote from.

One agent I spoke with said they should be basing the quote on total years driving; not the fact that I did not have a vehicle for the past few years. Even if you were to knock 3 years off of my driving time, that STILL gives me 11 years of experience on the road and would make me a 28-year-old female as opposed to a 31-year-old female, which still makes me a LOW RISK driver. Also, I find it rather suspicious that their agents noticed this 9 days after I purchased the policy AND paid for it. Furthermore, I never agreed to the new rate, yet they made it effective on their website and intended to bill me for it, yet I never signed anything or even consented verbally.

I also have yet to receive my money back from them!!! I had to purchase another policy and they still have the money I paid for theirs. They keep assuring me that the refund is coming, but I have yet to see anything!

Overall, I think what Geico did is disgraceful. 15 minutes cannot save me 15% or more. It can cost me 50% more money and 100% more aggravation. I switched to a company who I know is one of their largest competitors; THEIR agent did EVERYTHING she could to save me well over 15%. Cannot say the same for any of Geicos' agents. All I got was a lot of, Theres nothing I can do responses. Way to go Geico!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/11/2012 11:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/geico/internet/geico-geico-does-not-honor-their-auto-insurance-quotes-internet-925882. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content