Complaint Review: General Revenue Corporation

• Reported By: Cincinnati Ohio
  • General Revenue Corporation
    ONGRC012, PO Box 1022,Wixom,Mississippi 48393-1022
    Cincinnati, Ohio

General Revenue Corporation I had my tax refund taken for my student loan, but now they are garnisihing my wages for collection fees. The loan is paid, how can they do this? Cincinnati Ohio

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Documentation is the key

This year the IRS took the majority of my refund for my outstanding student loan. They sent the remaining balance to me. I recieved a letter a month or two later. In the letter the company informed me that I owe them for collection fees. And now they have a court order to garnish my paycheck wages. However, they are the ones who put in the garnishment for the IRS and they already recieved that payment. I have $0.00 balance for the student loan.

Srene
Cincinnati, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/09/2009 08:13 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/general-revenue-corporation/cincinnati-ohio-45242-9526/general-revenue-corporation-i-had-my-tax-refund-taken-for-my-student-loan-but-now-they-ar-459946. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Documentation is the key

AUTHOR: Ladyirish - (U.S.A.)

If you have been told by the IRS that your taxes were offset by a wage garnishment, get written documentation (noting the complete amount offset, and what company it went to) and fax it to the GRC office that holds your account. While you may receive a letter noting the offset quickly, the government is not so quick to turn the funds over -- They're notoriously slow payers. And, unfortunately, as long as a balance shows on your account, the wage garnishment will remain in effect.

Also, make sure you have an accurate balance on your account with General Revenue. Ask them how much interest you accrue per day, and how often collection costs are figures. Your balance accelerated to being due in full the day it defaulted, and probably has added quite a bit to the balance you originally signed for on your loan.