Complaint Review: Go Daddy - godaddy.com - Wild West Domains

• Go Daddy - godaddy.com - Wild West Domains
    14455 N. Hayden Rd. Suite 219, Scottsdale, AZ 8526
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    United States of America

Go Daddy - godaddy.com - Wild West Domains I'VE BEEN SCREWED BY AUTO RENEW ! Scottsdale, Arizona

This is the email I sent to Go Daddy after I was ripped off by their automatic renewal scam.  They automatically renewed 3 domain names 2 years after my initial purchase and caused my bank account to be overdrawn.  Then they wouldn't even refund my money when I told them to cancel my renewal !

I am very unhappy with your company and it's sneaky, underhanded practices regarding domain renewals.

On Februrary 27, I was charged $68.10 for 3 domain renewals that I did not want or initiate.  Consequently, 4 checks bounced on my checking account attached to my credit card.  This caused me more than $200 in fees.

When I received the renewal notices you sent, I ignored them, because I assumed that if I did not want to renew these domains, they would not be renewed without my say so.  Little did I know, that due to a "default auto renewal option" on your website, THAT I HAD NO IDEA EVEN EXISTED, my credit card would be automatically charged 2 whole years later without my real time approval.

I called your company this evening and was informed of this deadly auto renewal setting.  I was also informed that I wouldn't even get my $68.10 back because I didn't inform you within 5 days after you charged me that I didn't want the domains.

I just went back and found the email you sent me on 2/27 so I could see what the hell was going on.  It says that the items have been renewed, but does not say in the email whether I would be billed, or if my credit card would be charged, which would have been nice to know since it had been 2 whole years since the initial order.  In addition, there is no note about a 5 day grace period for cancellation.

So now I am out even more money for something I don't need and don't want.  If you want to keep your company's good name, I would suggest that you make this automatic renewal policy a lot more transparent so that your customers know exactly what they are in for in the years to come.

I am feeling very burned by your company and would appreciate the refund of the $68.10 as a good will gesture.  I would hate to have to share my bad experience with everyone I know in the domain registry field.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/22/2010 07:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/go-daddy-godaddycom-wild-west-domains/scottsdale-arizona-85260/go-daddy-godaddycom-wild-west-domains-ive-been-screwed-by-auto-renew-scottsdale-584244. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content