Complaint Review: Google Chromecast

• Google Chromecast

Internet
    USA

Google Chromecast, Chromecast Ripoff Internet

I bought Google's Chromecast about 3 years ago when they first came out and it worked well until last week (in April 2017) when Google updated; and got rid of it's functionality on older computer systems. I had bought the Chromecast to cast my laptop screen onto my TV and that's exactly what it did, until now.

Now I cannot use it anymore because I have a 2009 MacBook Pro with OX 10.7.5. My laptop works flawlessly and still looks new, to replace my system with a comparable new one would cost me a small fortune and there is absolutely no reason that I need to.

I have spent hours trying to fix this problem online along with many others that have been affected. According to Wikipedia, Google sold 30 million of these units to consumers. Last week they swindled more than just a few of them.  There are plenty of other users that can't afford the latest and greatest and have to make do with perfectly good older machines and there are millions of us who paid good money for this item which was working just fine and with one fell swoop Google has made our Chromecast purchases worthless.

I accept that older hardware and software cannot be supported but I take exception to the fact that Google has purposely blocked my ability to use a product which they sold me... without my knowledge, wirelessly, with software.

Does this mean that any coperation can decide if a product they sold you should just stop working? Will car manufacturer's whose products are now loaded with sofware just stop working when they decide that you need a new one? Will Google's self-driving car, Waymo, just leave you stranded or will it drive you to some remote location first; when they decide their coffers need to be refuelled?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/27/2017 03:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/google-chromecast/internet/google-chromecast-chromecast-ripoff-internet-1369898. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content