Complaint Review: Great American Readers

• Great American Readers

Bloominton, Minnesota
    USA

Great American Readers Gift Card and Magazine Scam Bloominton Minnesota

On August 9, 2013, I received a telephone call at 5:30pm saying that I had just won $250 in gift cards. I was so excited because I'm a college student and I could us those gift cards on textbooks, clothes, and dorm room supplies. The rep was extremely nice and told me that she was new.

After I accepted my "prize", I received a call from a supervisor to verify my address, age, and telephone number. I was also offered a magazine subscription for $39.90/mo for 25 months and no payment after that for the rest of the service. The supervisor was talking so fast that I could barely understand what she was saying. I was still on cloud 9 from winning $250 in gift cards and I thought she was offering me a subscription for 25 months that included a free trial.

I realized that it wasn't a free trial 6 days later when I saw a charge for $39.90 on my debit card statement so I called Great American Readers to explain what had happened and to see if they would refund the money or just cancel the subscription. I told the supervision (a male this time) that I had misunderstood the last supervisor and did not know that I would be charged and that I was a college student so I was not able to make the payments. He very rudely told me that he doesn't understand how I misunderstood because they never mentioned the words "free" nor "trial" when they spoke to me and that I was not able to cancel my subscription because they've already made a commitment on my behave (even though their cancellation policy states that I can cancel my subscription and receive a refund within 7 days of my first initial payment) .

He then tried to lower the price by $10 so I just hung up the phone. I tried calling again today (8/20/2013) and asked to speak to someone about cancelling my subscription. I was put on hold for a few minutes and then was told that all supervisors were busy so they would give me a call back. That was about 6 hours ago and I still have not received a call back. I filed a complaint last week with my bank and they are working to get me a refund and they have blocked GAR from charging my card again; I have also sent in written letter of cancellation to Great American Readers.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/20/2013 02:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/great-american-readers/bloominton-minnesota/great-american-readers-gift-card-and-magazine-scam-bloominton-minnesota-1077501. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content