Complaint Review: GT Marine

16117 US 19 N
    clearwater,
    USA

GT Marine Misleading, not responsive, poor buying experience clearwater Florida

Had a very bad buying experience with GT earlier this year. Purchased a 2007 Chaparral. Was told the boat would be detailed and ready for delivery in one week, four weeks after  I still did not have the boat. When it was finally delivered for the sea trial the boat was filthy, did not function as advertised and even had feces in the toilet. It gets worse, a month after buying the boat, a mechanic at my Marina asked why I would buy a boat with Volvo Composite motors? He said those particular outdrives are nothing but problems. In fact, most marine mechanics won't even work on them. An internet search revealed just how bad the 2007 composite motors are (recalls, lawsuits, difficulty getting parts). Several marine mechanics and boat brokers were stunned that a dealership sold me this boat.

When I went back to GT, they claimed no knowledge of these issues. They offered to take the boat back on trade (Im sure for a much lower price), but stated I had to buy another boat from them that cost 100k or more.  I take some of the blame for not doing enough research myself, I just assumed an honest, reputable dealer would have told me about the widely publicized issues with these outdrives. I am retired military and put our savings into this cruiser and turned out to be the worst buying experience of my life, I had to put 5k into the boat within 30 days of buying from GT. Runs good now, but from start to finish the buying experience from GT was problematic and what I would describe as unethical sales practices. Would advise all customers to think twice about buying a boat from them. States on their website that customer satisfaction is their goal. I have never had a less satisfactory buying experience.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/14/2016 02:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/gt-marine/clearwater-33764/gt-marine-misleading-not-responsive-poor-buying-experience-clearwater-florida-1338112. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content