Complaint Review:

• Submitted: Sun, August 19, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, August 26, 2007

• Reported By:Carlsbad California
Hermeris, Inc. C/o Federalpapers.com
4049 Pennsylvania Suite 100 Kansas City, Missouri U.S.A.

Federalpapers.com Hermeris, Inc. Hermeris, Inc. C/o Federalpapers.com Over the internet, Mermeris, Inc. charged me $98 to get me a Federal Tax ID. I found out (before signing and sending the form) that the Federal Gov't. gives these numbers out FREE. When I canceled (within 24 hrs.), they charged me a $50. processing fee--when I hadn't signed or filed the application to process! Kansas City Missouri

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Not a scam, but definitely misleading and unethical

*UPDATE Employee: Unfair Critic

*Consumer Comment: $50 is cheap if it teaches you to LOOK CAREFULLY before you LEAP. Don't you think?

Corporate Advocacy Program

Set the record straight:
Arbitration Program

Over the internet, Mermeris, Inc. charged me $98 to get me a Federal Tax ID. (I did not know that this was a private company, as their email includes the words "federal papers"). I found out (before signing and sending the form) that the Federal Gov't. gives our a Federal Tax ID (EIN No.) out FREE, so I knew this was a scam.

I immediately faxed to cancel the transaction (this was done within 24 hrs.). They emailed that they would charge me a $50. processing fee--when I hadn't yet signed or filed (sent via snail mail) the application to process! They said I had checked off a box which allowed this charge; the "catch-22" is that the box had to be checked off before I could print off the application to sign and send, which they required to complete the ordering process.

This is, if not illegal, unethical--and a ripoff!

Patricia
Carlsbad, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/19/2007 11:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/hermeris-inc-co-federalpaperscom/kansas-city-missouri-64111/federalpaperscom-hermeris-inc-hermeris-inc-co-federalpaperscom-over-the-internet-m-268613. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hermeris, Inc. C/o Federalpapers.com

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Not a scam, but definitely misleading and unethical

AUTHOR: Aaron Mills - (U.S.A.)

This company provides multiple services that prey on clueless and/or careless people.

This company does NOT do anything illegal, but they DO use misleading language on their websites. By using the word "federal" they trigger an association with the U.S. federal government in some people's minds. While this is not illegal, it certainly is misleading to people who may not know that most federal organizations use the .gov top-level domain.

I recommend that you DO NOT use this company, but if you absolutely must, please read EVERYTHING on their websites before ordering. Do research on other companies providing similar services, and check with the IRS before getting a TIN though Hermeris, Inc.

I am a former employee of this company, and while they like to think of themselves as progressive, it's really just all the same old stuff in a new package. They also don't take criticism very well. Caveat emptor!

Unfair Critic

AUTHOR: Hermeris - (U.S.A.)

I work for Hermeris. Which runs federalpapers.com and legal-dba.com, and many other sites. We do not RIP off anybody. I am truly sorry if you had a bad experience. Our tax ID service has satisfied many users over the years. You did receive a completed and reviewed ss4 form to file with the IRS. Our online form catches many common mistakes, that can delay an EIN being validated for many weeks, as well as the manual review we do of every form. Our services are in line with mycorporation.com (Intuit) and legalzoom, and we feel are far superior.

Thank you for you time.

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

Maybe next time you will slow down and do your homework BEFORE you commit yourself and/or your money to ANY "deal" or "service".

If you look around here, you will find people who have been taken for $3000 to $5000 (phoney lottos/phoney cashiers check scams), $30,000 (phoney patent service), all the way up to hunderds of thousands of dollars on real estate scams.

You got off really, really cheap.... this time.