Complaint Review:

• Updated: Mon, July 17, 2017

• Reported By: Liz — Ojai California USA
Hotels.com
Internet USA

Hotels.com Expedia Lied about their written policy in order to avoid giving me a refund Internet

This should be a class-action lawsuit against Hotels.com/Expedia.

I was given a refund credit for a booking on a hotel in Davis, California of $200 for a cancellation I had to make.  I received a confirmation code and a list of conditions for the use of that refund in an email from Hotels.com.  The conditions clearly stated that the credit could be used on one booking to be used in one year.

I booked another hotel in Davis two months later for three nights and prepaid with my credit award and an additional charge because the total fee was larger than the $200 credit.  I cancelled the last night within the cancellation window with the hotel.

When I asked for a refund from Hotels.com, I was told I would get a $67 refund on a total bill of $497.00 (which included my refund credit).  I complained and got transfered to a "manager" whose name was Basti V. in Manilla.  He told me that their policy was to apply my $200 credit to the first night only.  I read the policy to him that I had received as part of my email which explictly stated that my refund award could be used in any one booking.

The "manager" repeatedly told me that Hotels.com policy was that the award could only be used on the first night.  I insisted he find the policy he was quoting and send it to me.  He put me on hold for 5 minutes and came back with a refund offer of $119.00 up from the original $67.  I asked him again if he was clear that Hotels.com policy was to only apply awards such as this to the first night.  He always said yes, which is absolutely not what the policy stated.

Last, he told me it was Hotels.com policy not to refund fees and taxes on a cancelled night of the reservation.  Thus, since the fees and tax were prepaid, he could not refund any of that part of the total fee.

It must surely be illegal to charge for tax and not refund tax on cancellations that are within the cancellation window.

I am sure I am not the only customer who has been ripped off in this manner.  It is plain and simple fraud and should be stopped.

I called Hotels.com back and asked for the Customer Dispute center.  I was told by two diferent representatives that there is no dispute center.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/17/2017 10:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/hotelscom/internet/hotelscom-expedia-lied-about-their-written-policy-in-order-to-avoid-giving-me-a-refund-i-1386125. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hotels.com