Complaint Review: HughesNet DirecWay

• Reported By: Cotopaxi Colorado
  • HughesNet DirecWay
    hughesnet.com
    Nationwide

HughesNet DirecWay Rip off, no service, no customer service, no contact Internet

*Author of original report: Don't be fooled by DirecWay/HughesNet

*Consumer Comment: bad transmitters

HughesNet/DirecWay service was supposed to be high-speed satellite internet. There was $600.00 set up fee. Service was $60.00, billed monthly and automatically to our debit card/checking account.

The service failed. We spent more than 35 hours trying to contact them through their tech support telephone, tech support e-mail, and tech support chat. We received no satisfaction from HughesNet/DirecWay.

We closed our debit card and checking account, mainly to get their attention. We also did a chargeback on the previous two months payments; the maximum allowed by our bank.

When contact was finally made, after about six months, HughesNet/DirecWay said they could not credit us because they had no evidence in their records that we did not have service during those months. We explained there was no evidence because they would not answer their telephone, respond to their e-mails or to chat requests. Their own telephone message even stated that hold times were unreasonable and that e-mail and chat support options should be used.

Their billing address specifically states not to send correspondance to it. Yet we can find no other physical address.

On re-reading the HughesNet/DirecWay contract, we find there is NO recourse for us if they fail to provide service, yet we are still obligated to pay. They state the matter will be turned over to collections and our credit rating will be adversely affected.

We also cancelled our Direct TV service after 8 years of decent service, only because of their association with HughesNet/DirecWay.

We are prepared to participate in a class action.

James
Cotopaxi, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/16/2006 12:51 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/hughesnet-direcway/nationwide/hughesnet-direcway-rip-off-no-service-no-customer-service-no-contact-internet-216068. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
2Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Don't be fooled by DirecWay/HughesNet

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

I saw HughesNet/DirecWay's offer to help others individually and contacted them through that e-mail solicitation. They failed to credit me for the months without service and failed to address their failures in any fashion.

I have read a few rebuttals by tech-type people who try to defend HughesNet/DirecWay on the basis of satellite technology, installation, etc. Don't be fooled. If there was any substance to their rebuttals then ask your self this question: Why does HughesNetDirecWay consistently fail customers (including me), while my WildBlue high speed satellite internet service work like a charm?

I have also run into many current and former HughesNet/DirectWay installers who speak ill of their equipment. Any installer is an agent for HughesNet/DirecWay and must obtain their permission to revisit a site set up. It is all HughesNet/DirecWay's fault and can't be shifted to installers, outer space, weather, etc. Other satellite systems work fine.

I think the rebuttals are written by people paid by HughesNet/DirectWay. I also think the HughesNet/DirectWay rebuttals that offer to work with complainants, one on one, are disingenuous and designed to make third party readers think that that HughesNet/DirecWay actually cares about the problems and is willing to address them.

Again, don't be fooled.

bad transmitters

AUTHOR: Mary - (U.S.A.)

i also have had nothing but trouble with hughes net. i filed my own report but would like everyone to know that they are selling transmitters that work intermittantly.you don't know when or if you will be affected. hughes net has known about this problem for a very long time but the consumer is not told by tech support . i got this information from the person who came out to repair my system. please read my report for all of the information.