Complaint Review: Hughesnet

• Reported By: Kingston, Oklahoma — Kingston Oklahoma United States of America
  • Hughesnet

Internet
    United States of America

Hughesnet conned me out of $477.98 & left me with an unusable service, no customer service Internet

Advertisement offers free installation on lease options only. I was told I wasn't qualified to lease & could only purchase.(Even though I'm a home owner). In order to assist me better with the students I teach at Ardmore Higher Ed, I do need some type of internet at home. Because I'm rural, my options are limited. I opted to purchase.
Sales rep confirmed a couple times amount to be drafted was $459.98. I told them I had to make sure no sur charges, usage fees, taxes,  etc. Rep said that is full amount.
After informing hughesnet about the giant trees around my house they assured me installation would include a pole mount. I would not have purchased the dish knowing it would be mounted on roof aimed at the trees.  Technician arrived without a pole stateing hughesnet doesn't do that any longer. Stated he could put it on roof & get a view of the southern skies. Technician told me it wasn't aimed at the giant oak, but was going up & over the oak tree. No foliage at this time & getting some signal, but had concerns over foliage that shades entire roof & is taller than dish.  Technician gave me his private business card & said he could come back when I get ready & do a pole mount for $250.00.
 I emailed customer service on Feb. 28th, (the day of installation),  & 2 other times giving them this information. No response. I finally got some one on the phone & they agreed the Technician should have put dish on pole. I told them I was utilizing my 30 day period to change my mind & to come get the dish. They told me they could extend  the 30 day period.  I told them they were misleading because the service I was receiving was worse than dial up & is not high speed.
I told them they quoted me the wrong price initially & they told me they had no way of knowing what taxes were going to be. I asked them to tell me who can come & get the dish.  They put me on hold several times for several minutes & eventually the phone call was disconnected. They have never called me back.They took $477.98 from my acccount & I am contesting pymt.
I have notified the states attorney general, the better business bureau & my credit union.  I've had someone take down the satellite & am shipping it to Maryland.   I've been out a lot of money & hughesnet has made no contact with me.
Hughesnet's practices aren't just deceptive, they have an elaborate & deliberate scamm in full swing.  What is it going to take to call attention to this.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/21/2011 07:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/hughesnet/internet/hughesnet-conned-me-out-of-47798-left-me-with-an-unusable-service-no-customer-servic-697972. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content