Complaint Review: HughesNet

• HughesNet
    hughesnet.myway.com
    Internet,

HughesNet Rip off of usage Internet

I signed up for the Professional Plan on Hughesnet. This is their most costly plan for home usage. Under this plan I am supposed to be able to have download usage up to 350 MB within any four hour consecutive time periods. If I go over that I violate their FAP (fair access policy) and they will lock down my service so that it goes very slow. I then stay in this penalized mode between 8 to 12 hours.

The problem is that when I reach download amounts around 200 MB within any four hour time period they move me into FAP violation and shut me down. This has been an ongoing problem since I got the service. I have documentation of actual usage. I have several instances of FAP violation when the preceding and including hours of up to six and seven hours of usage do not go over 200 MB.

When speaking to technical service my average phone time has been 1.5 hours with no resolve of this issue. They just give me yet another case number and do not follow up on the issue. Even the technical assistance people agree that they cannot see where I have violated usage policy and yet they are powerless to resolve the issue and I remain in lockdown for 8 to 12 hours.

According to Hughesnet Fair Access Policy, I am an abusive user. Note following quote from FAP:

"HughesNet system usage data indicates that approximately 5% of subscribers are responsible for a disproportionate share often as much as half of the total HughesNet service traffic. Unfortunately, many of those subscribers are not using HughesNet for its intended purpose. To ensure that all HughesNet subscribers have fair and equal access to the benefits of the Satellite broadband service, HughesNet has enacted a Fair Access Policy to prevent abusive consumption of bandwidth by a handful of users."

Since I am paying to use up to 350 MB download within any consecutive four hour time period, I feel extremely insulted to be categorized as 'abusive consumption'. I pay them on time and yet I still do not receive the service I pay for and yet I am still contractually obligated to continue to pay for service I do not fully receive.

Christy
Mustang, Oklahoma

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/03/2006 06:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/hughesnet/internet/hughesnet-rip-off-of-usage-internet-223589. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content