Complaint Review: Ikea

Bolingbrook, Illinois
    United States of America

Ikea False Advertising upon Checkout Bolingbrook, Illinois

*Author of original report: Ikea False Advertising

*Consumer Comment: Sounds right.

On May 3, 2011 I went to their returns department to obtain some shelf pins for the bookcases we had purchased the week before. The cashier said you can get 5 for free but after that each would cost $.15 each. I purchased 55 pins (plus  5 free); the cost was $8.75.

When I ran my debit card through the machine, an Ikea ad came up saying I could get a coupon for 1% off on my next purchase if I paid with my debit card. I paid using my debit card and the cashier gave me my receipt.

When I asked for the 1% off coupon, she told me it was at the bottom of my receipt. The coupon at the bottom of the receipt was for $.09 off my next purchase.  I spoke to the cashier and her supervisor about the discrepancy. I told them that the 1% had been taken off this purchase, not my next purchase. They told me that the $.09 was the correct amount.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/04/2011 11:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ikea/bolingbrook-illinois-60440/ikea-false-advertising-upon-checkout-bolingbrook-illinois-725547. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Ikea False Advertising

AUTHOR: Wayne - (USA)

The 1% coupon message came up on their debit/credit card payment machine during checkout. Nowhere in that message did it say that the 1% amount on your next purchase would be based on the purchase currently being made.

Sounds right.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

ad came up saying I could get a coupon for 1% off on my next purchase if I paid with my debit card."

I'm with you so far.

"The coupon at the bottom of the receipt was for $.09 off my next purchase.  "

OK.  You're total was $8.75 so 1% would be $0.875, which was rounded up to 9 cents.   Sounds like an accurate calculation.

I can see where you're going with this.  The offer was that by using your debit card, you could get a coupon for 1% off the current purchase to apply to your next purchase.    You would like to interpret that as getting a coupon for 1% off of the total of the next purchase.  That would be nice, but that's not what was offered.    I saw the same offer (and read it carefully) and I had no troubl interpreting what they meant.   It was not what was quoted in your post.    Just because you misunderstand something does not make it a ripoff.