Complaint Review: Instant checkmate

• Reported By: Marianne — Mill Valley California
  • Instant checkmate

Internet
    USA

Instant checkmate so official looking, and so devious Internet

A came on this site when I was trying to get more info on a registered sex offender.  The site looked very official, almost governmental.  You are told it is searching through several data bases at some length, then states your report is ready.  No mention of money, until you've gotten this far. Then you are told you need to start an account to open the report, and warns that the information may be "shocking".  This is hard to resist! It gives you several subscription types, and asks for your credit card info for the charge.
I was hooked, so I did it. I paid for a months subscriptin. It then produced a report, consisting of the person's address and birth date!! I f wanted the full "premium report", I was told it would cost $10 more.  OK, I did it.  I then stayed on the site for about 5 more minutes watching little dots pacing one another, while my report was supposedly being generated (the third time this claim was made). I quit and called their support number to complain, and after listening to several rapid repetitions of various disclaimers, I was finally told I could get half my money back. I said I wanted ALL of it back, which was granted after the "manager" was consulted.  Now let's see if I really do get it refunded!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/05/2013 10:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/instant-checkmate/internet/instant-checkmate-so-official-looking-and-so-devious-internet-1082130. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content