I responded to a radio ad for a free CD showing how to start an internet business. Once I reached a representative at the 800 number, it was explained to me that it was a free 30-day trial of the program they offered. in addition, the 30 days begins upon ordering the program, not receiving it.
After more than a week, I had not received the package and so determined that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of anything resembling a free 30-day trial. At that point, I e-mailed Internet Speedway and told them that I had changed my mind and wished to cancel, and that I had not yet received the program.
Several days later the package was delivered to me. I took it to the Post Office, where the clerk wrote "refused" on the package and took custody of the package, to return it to Internet Speedway.
Two weeks later, a charge of $69.99 appeared on my checking account. I called Internet Speedway and pointed out that I had cancelled this contract and returned the materials unopened. They told me that I had been sent an email in response to my email, directing me to call a particular phone number. Since I received no such email, I would surmise that it was directed to my Junk Mail box. Regardless, the fact is that they had received my email of cancellation and acted upon it, albeit lamely.
I was then told that the charge would be refunded, but that it would take 7 to 10 business days. The money was refunded, but shortly thereafter another charge for $69.99 appeared on my account, this time with the memo ispeedway of Oceanside, instead of Mesa Arizona. I called that number and was directed to leave a message and my call would be returned. It wasn't.
I called the other number for Internet Speedway and spoke to someone who told me that they hadn't cancelled the payment plan when they cancelled my contract, and that it would take 7 to 10 business days for a refund. I asked to speak to a supervisor, (Nick) who told me that he would put a rush on my refund and that I would receive it in 3 to 5 business days. That was 2 weeks ago.
Today I called again, and was put on hold while the billing agent attempted to "access my information". It was taking a long time, and I let him know that I was losing a lot of cell phone minutes to this company. He offered to call me back. He hasn't.
If they ever do issue a refund to my account, there is nothing stopping them from stealin more money from me unless I change my check card. If I change my check card today, however, they will use that argument "we could not access the account to issue the refund", in my opinion.