Complaint Review: Intuit - Turbotax

• Submitted: Sat, March 27, 2010
  • Updated: Sun, April 04, 2010
  • Reported By: George — Lafayette Louisiana U.S.A.
  • Intuit - Turbotax
    2632 Marine Way
    Mountin View, California
    United States of America
  • Phone: (888)777-3303, (520)901-3
  • Web:
  • Category: Liars

Intuit - Turbotax Turbo Tax Tremendous Breach of Security Mountin View, California

*Author of original report: TurboTax

On 03/19/2010 I made 2 phone calls to TurboTax and each time I gave my email address, and both times the agents read them back to me. Later on that day  my son phoned to say he had received 2 emails from TurboTax meant for me but sent to him.

He forwarded them to me, and both were headed, "Dear George" and both had his email address. One had his full Social Security number printed under his name.

I emailed Customer Service and explained the situation in detail. I asked how it is possible to mix up the email addresses, and how could there be such a breach of security that allowed them to print a complete Social Security number on an email.

An agent replied that she could not explain the address  mix-up, but the issue on the Social Security number would be resolved.

I replied that one email was ,"Your TurboTax Order Confirmation", and the other was a "Recap of Conversation". I said I wanted to know how the email addresses mixed-up and what breach of security allowed the entire SS number to be printed.

Another agent replied that action would be taken on the Social Security issue.

Neither agent answered my questions.

On 03/26/2010 I again phoned TurboTax about a charge on my credit card. Later on that day my  son called to say he  received another email from TurboTax headed, "Dear George" sent to his address.It was another, "Recap of Your Conservation". Once again his complete Social Security number is  printed under his name.

Remember, this last incident occured 7 days after I put TurboTax on notice, and after both agents lied and said the issue would be resolved.

I wonder how many times Turbo Tax sends out complete Social Security numbers via email. Great going, TurboTax, you have a whole slew of SS numbers to toss around.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/27/2010 10:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/intuit-turbotax/mountin-view-california-94943/intuit-turbotax-turbo-tax-tremendous-breach-of-security-mountin-view-california-586179. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
0Consumer
0Employee/Owner

TurboTax

AUTHOR: George - (U.S.A.)

TurboTax contacted me several times, and the security part of the issue is resolved. It turns out that TurboTax did not print my son's Social Security number on email. However, it is still a mystery how they managed to sendemail meant for me to his email address.