Complaint Review: K-Mart Pharmacy

3945 Poleline
    Pocatello, Idaho

K-Mart Pharmacy Overcharge on medication Pocatello Idaho

*Consumer Comment: Hi

Having used our local K-Mart pharmacy for years we "thought" we were paying a fair price for medication.

My doctor prescribed 20 mg of Lipitor for me. As always I had it called into the K-Mart pharmacy. When I called about the price I was told it was around $230.00. Our insurance company would pay for most of it and leave me to only pay $93.00 for a thirty day supply.

I then called Walgreens pharmacy only to find that the exact same drug through them was $104.00 before our insurance company paid (a difference of $126.00 from what K-Mart was telling me this would cost). After our insurance company paid their part I would be left owing our deductible of $25.00 for this 30 day supply.

So where does K-Mart put the overcharged amount for their medications? Our business is no longer with K-Mart.

Michael

Pocatello, Idaho

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/17/2004 04:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/k-mart-pharmacy/pocatello-idaho-83201/k-mart-pharmacy-overcharge-on-medication-pocatello-idaho-99365. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Hi

AUTHOR: K - (U.S.A.)

You're not understanding how insurance works. The reimbursement amount from an insurance company works off the AWP (or Average Wholesale Price) less a percentage. That is basically the cost of the medication to the pharmacy. They do not care what the retail prices are. Since AWP is the same for any pharmacy in America, your co-pay is going to be approximately the same no matter where you go.The contracts are standard for each insurance from pharmacy to pharmacy. Hope it helps.