Complaint Review: Magic Jack

• Magic Jack

Internet
    USA

Magic Jack No Magic here, Jack! Internet

I purchased a MagicJack Plus on November 29, 2013 for $69 at my local Meijer store. During online registration of the device, I purchased the 5 year call plan which totalled $107. I did this based on a positive experience a friend has had with this device, even though on-line review are quite mixed.

I followed all installation and registration directions carefully, and while the device was connected to tecomputer at a USB port, there was a dial tone and all seemedwell.  I then followed directions to connect the device directly to the router,and that was the beginning of the end.  Phone was as dead as it was before I started.

I went to the web site, searched FAQs, followed instruction, but to no avail. I initiated on-line chat. 90 minutes in, I was told to restart thecomputer--thus closing the chat session--then insert the device which would automatically reload and problem solved. I did, but it wasn't and guess what? in the 5 minutes it took to do that, the chat line closed for the evening. Plus,  it didn't work.  Hmm...

Today, I tried again. 4 HOURS and 5 AGENTS LATER...I was told I had a defective unit, exchange it for a different one, which I did. I was told to log in with my existing e-mail, password and phone number, and 5 year plan would automatically credit to the new device. WRONG. On top of that, IT STILL DIDN'T WORK!

(Sorry. No more shouting) So, back to online chat/tech support. The first agent promptly transferred me to another one who informed me that the remainder of the 5 year plan (that would be ALL OF IT!) could not be transferred to my new device, I needed to buy a newer and improved 2014 Magic Jack Plus if I wanted to do that. All along, through 7 agents I was crystal clear that I had a regular Magic Jack Plus, not a 2014. I was clear about this with the previous agent, the one who said everything would transfer, a top 10% agent according to them--that I had a regular, not a 2014, Magic Jack Plus.  None-the-less, the agent told me the plan would transfer. It didn't, and the new top 10% agent said it couldn't. Buy more equipment, he said. SMFH.

At this point I just said forget it, I needed an immediate refund to the credit card I used for the purchase of the 5 year plan and asked when I could expect it. I got a non-answer--that he would have to file a complaint report and it would have to be reviewed and IF it was found to be a valid complaint, it SHOULD then be processed within 1 to 2 business days. I then asked whom I should contact if there should be a problem, and guess what? ON LINE CHAT! Holy Moly.

I'll let you knowhow this turns out. Meanwhile, I have no phone and can't do anything about it till I get the refund. Amazing how businesses can get those payments in a nanosecond, but they can sure take their time with refunds!  Besides, No one should have to review anything since the last time I checked, a consumer had the right to cancel a contract without reason or penalty, for 72 hours after entering into the agreement. It's not even an object they might need to inspect--just a service agreement, a mark in a checkbox. I'll take the object back to the store tomorrow for a refund, which I will get on the spot.

On the positive side, the agents on chat were pleasant and professional during our interactions.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/30/2013 07:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/magic-jack/internet/magic-jack-no-magic-here-jack-internet-1103309. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content