Complaint Review: McAfee Anti-Virus

• Reported By: Sag harbor New York
  • McAfee Anti-Virus
    www.mcafee.com
    Santa Clara, California

For two years now, I received an email notifying me of an automatic renewal (AND CHARGE) to my credit card for a product I am no longer using. They mention a website I may go to - to cancel this auto-renewal. I have a B.S. in Computer Science and after 45 minutes on their website I cannot find how to cancel this Auto-Renewal (that I never signed up for).

There is a number I can call - but I get a recording, or transferred to India where I'm placed on hold, and after a frustrating 40 minutes - I hang up. I tried to reply to the email I received but then I'm notified that email address is no longer valid.

This is deceptive b.s. that is designed for busy people who will just give up and accept the charge. I no longer even have the computer that I was licensed that software for. McAfee is a rip off and I STRONGLY recommend people not to use their products.!

T.j.
Sag harbor, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/27/2006 07:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/mcafee-anti-virus/santa-clara-california-95054/mcafee-anti-virus-auto-renewal-ripoff-santa-clara-california-173521. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
4Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Mcafee is illegally charging peoples credit cards

AUTHOR: mike s. - (United States of America)

I think that you are completely right. I have had a similar problem with Mcafee. Trust me when i tell you, your problems with Mcafee have just begun.  I have been fighting with them for about three years. Just when I thought that it was over I would get illegally charged again on my credit card.   I've had my Amex credit card canceled and re-issued to me twice because of them.  Some how they can find out my new account number and then they charge renewal fee again every year.  I've removed Mcafee completely from my cumputer and it's still happening.  I'm having Amex file credit card fraud charges against them.  I suggest that you do the same. Good Luck.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

McAfee User

AUTHOR: Lynn - (U.S.A.)

The best way to renew McAfee is to re-name you computer and a new password.   You can turn off the Automatic Renewel  by going into your account. Go to the page that identifies the type of Software you have.  Click on the type of Software and the Automatic Renewel will appear. [ Buy Now ].  You may then turn the Automatic Renewel off or on.  It works but it is also cheaper to purchase McAfee new online each time you need it.   I hope this helps all of you out.

You may want to purchase the BEST package, about $69.00, containing firewalls, upgraded Security.  It will protect you from Viruses.  Caught 3 for me and cleaned them out in just minutes.......

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Expire your billing information

AUTHOR: Karen - (U.S.A.)

I, too, was victim to this after-the-fact notification that an automatic payment was taken from my account. (Unlike the original poster, I was still using the product.) I went to the website to turn off this auto-renewal, but I could not locate anywhere to turn it off. I tried deleting my billing information, but it wouldn't let me save without the information. So I just changed my account number by reversing a couple of digits, and set the expiration date to expire the following month. It hasn't been a year since, so I don't know if this cured my problem for sure.

I didn't want to renew my spyware portion of the McAfee after the free trial period, and I kept getting this pop-up reminder all the time. My card wasn't charged for anything at that time, so perhaps I won't have to worry about it this year.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Did the same thing to me

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

But, all I did was call the number on the email and my credit card was credited in a couple of days. Perhaps you are calling the wrong number? Also, a simple call to your credit card company will result in a refund as well.