Complaint Review: MCI (Residential Service)

• Submitted: Sat, January 03, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, January 03, 2009
  • Reported By: Chicago Illinois
  • MCI (Residential Service)
    PO Box 3400
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

MCI Continues to Bill Me Months After I Discontinued Service Cedar Rapids Iowa

I discontinued service with MCI because I was moving and going with another phone service. Service was supposed to end at midnight on Oct. 1. I called in early September, so they had plenty of time to disconnect.

In October, I received what I thought was the "final bill," which was the usual monthly amount I had been paying. At the end of the month I got another "final bill" for $35.58 for service till Oct. 6. But, I requested to be cut off on Oct. 1. I called MCI on Nov. 3 and complained. The rep told me that she would adjust the bill so that I would pay for service up through Oct. 1, and that I now owed $11.80. I sent in $11.80.

Shortly after that I got a bill for $10.86. I called on Dec. 15, and could not get a clear answer exactly what this bill was for. They kept telling me it was for service till Oct. 6, which I told them I wasn't going to pay. And, if I did, the amount didn't make sense, given the numbers on the previous bill. No one had a logical explanation for that. I alked to a superviser who agreed to close my account and clear the amount I supposedly owed. I asked her point blank, "So, I don't owe anything, right?" And, she said that I don't owe anything.

Imagine my surprise on Jan. 2 when I got a notice from a collection agency for the $10.86. Not only do I not owe this money, but they lied to me TWICE, and they are messing with my credit rating by sending $10.86 to a collection agency.

I warn everyone NOT to use MCI. If you have it now, get rid of it -- if they let you.

Suan
Chicago, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/03/2009 12:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/mci-residential-service/cedar-rapids-iowa-52406/mci-continues-to-bill-me-months-after-i-discontinued-service-cedar-rapids-iowa-407574. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content