Complaint Review: Metropolitan Veterinary Associates

• Reported By: Rosemont Pennsylvania
  • Metropolitan Veterinary Associates
    2626 Van Buren Avenue
    Norristown, Pennsylvania

I will never visit this emergency service clinic - Metropolitan Veterinary Associates - again. The memories of my experience are personally traumatic. I was referred by my vet because my dog needed emergency surgery or he would die.

First I was quoted $3-4,000 with a better than 50/50 chance of my dog making it by the doctor who did the ultrasound. I was then told to wait for the critical care doctor in a cold and sterile room with my sick dog.

After 15-20 minutes the critical care doctor came in and told me it would be $6-8,000!! This after I had been told HALF the price by the previous doctor and had made the decision in my mind and told the previous doctor to save my 10 year old dog who I love dearly at that lower price. I was then told I needed to sign an estimate and pay half up front. The estimate provides a high and low range for the surgery and aftercare with all the individual costs broken down. The estimate was for $5,158-$7,832. Surgery went great with no complications.

The bill? $10,118!! You would expect since the surgery went so well that the final cost would be at the low end of the estimate. I have since spoken to two vets who have said this should have been in the $5,000 or less range. Apparently Metropolitan Vterinary Associates has a 15% buffer ABOVE the high range estimate in the fine print. I find it interesting how the final cost JUST hit this mark after the $350 for the ultrasound.

When I complained to the nurse who discharged my dog I was rebuffed. When I tried to email those in charge that evening my emails were blocked as spam. When I took my name, my dog's name and other words related to the situation OUT the emails went right through. Isn't that interesting? I can document all the price quotes and the spam issues as FACT.

I would recommend anyone with a pet plan ahead and look up other emergency vet services in the area now so if your pet needs emergency care you can make an educated decision. AND, it is not as if I am angry because my dog died or did not receive proper care. My dog is fine and the care was fine. My complaint is about how prices were presented and the emotional trauma it caused me as I had to put ever changing and increasing prices on the life of my dog when I don't even have this money to begin with and had to borrow it. I'll leave it to the reader to decide if I was treated fairly while in a very emotionally fragile state with the changes and increases in prices that were given to me to save my dog's life.

Concerned Dog Lover
Rosemont, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/27/2008 10:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/metropolitan-veterinary-associates/norristown-pennsylvania-19403/metropolitan-veterinary-associates-and-metropolitan-emergency-services-emotional-trauma-du-312784. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
12Consumer
0Employee/Owner

This consumer must work for Metro.Vet

AUTHOR: dogowner - ()

I have taken cats and dogs to this facility and they never have honored the estimate given they are high priced and very low care, they do not really care about the animals bottom line this is a job and how much can we make off of caring pet owners the office manager is an arrogant loud mouth that doesn't accept responsibility for their mistakes and they have made their share of them.This person defending this Vet Clinic must be an EMPLOYEE because she is fabricating her story.

This Place Seems Bad

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

The OP seems sincere, and any professional operation should be able to be fairly accurate on estimates.

The way I read it they came in twice there low written estimate, and even surpassed the allowed high end percentage for a procedure that went fine. The OP wanted specific answers as to why the bill was over twice the low written estimate and this place had no answer except generalities. I'd be pissed too.

As for there not being other bad reviews about this place, Google "metropolitan veterinary associates" and click on the "VetRatingz.com" link on the first page.

Here are some of the reviews from that site (the last one, which is in two parts, talks about this place coming in over the high end estimate. That sounds familar:

"I was appalled by my entire experience at this "glitzy" new age vet center. Rude, cold and ignorant and the eye specialist must have been raised in a barn, excuse the pun. He did not have the common decency to introduce himself. For all I know he could have been the janitor treating my pet. Their prices pay for their fancy facility, and I suppose the robot like staff whose faces would crack if they smiled or removed the permanent scowls they are wear."

"My seizure dog was treated by the a specialist at this facility. The specialist did not care about the dog's previous blood work, did not care about the medication the dog was on and did not care that the animal was already susceptible to liver disease. He prescribed Rimadyl for a minor sprain. I was not given any warnings about the medication, nor was I provided with a Client Information Sheet regarding the side effects of Rimadyl. When his abdomen started swelling, I was then charged almost $1000 for them to determine what was wrong - chronic liver disease. With his medical history and recent blood work, he should never have been prescribed Rimadyl. The result was that he had to be put to sleep. Be forwarned!"

"If looking for an emergency vet, I would look elsewhere. Our cat had been neutered,surgery dehisced(stitches broke) his intestines had fallen out. Took him there, while waiting for vet,an attendant came out with "parcel" - something(presumably post mortem pet)wrapped in paper and bound with duct tape,only a simple "here" verbalized as it was handed over to the owner. Finally vet came out,told us our cat didn't have much of a chance,not worth operating,advised putting cat to sleep.We insisted he try to help the cat,he demanded maximum amount of surgery fee+ up front, cash/credit card only. While we were on phone trying to find another emergency vet (waiting for them to bring our cat back out to us), someone else was getting the same euthanization speech we got. I left $350 poorer, our cat would not be turned back over to us till we had paid.Their fees were not mentioned beforehand by them. Luckily I got him to another emergency vet, the cat is alive and doing well."

"We came over from Gwynend, another hospital. The other hospital did nothing but test, but they called for the next three days to follow up. Went here had a rinoscopy and biopsy, called then the day after I picked up my pet only to get a hard time from the receptionist telling me no one from internally medicine was there that day. Called again later and asked to speak to a vet tech on duty, got the third degree untill they put one on. I thought they were good, but now I think I may go elsewhere when I get the results."

"Run!! They admitted a litter of kittens. All of them died. The bill was $3000. One vet actually told me she had not read the file before she treated the kittens. They just have their nurses do whatever they want and then send outrageous bills."

"My dog suffered an eye injury late Saturday night of a holiday weekend. His eye was swollen shut and I was concerned about possible eye damage. As my vet was not available, I took him to Metropolitan. Arriving about 11:30 PM, my dog was seen by a nurse around 12:00 AM. We then waited until about 1:15 AM to see a doctor, with no one explaining the delay or an approximate time he would be seen. At 1:15 AM the doctor took my dog to the back to examine the eye, I was not allowed to accompany. I waited until 2:00 AM until I was informed that they would need to keep my dog over-night. I was given an estimate and told that I needed to pay 50% of the high end estimate up front. I did, as I believed my dog needed the care. On Sunday they released my dog to me at around 3:30 PM. Not only was I charged more than the high end "estimate" my dog was sent home with his IV port still implanted in his leg. Please see my next entry as I am reaching my character limit.

"As stated previously, my dog was released to me with his IV port still intact.I did not realize this until returning home.My dog began bleeding from the port.There is blood throughout my kitchen and on my living room carpet.I call Metropolitan only to find that they "made a mistake" in not removing the port.I was told to bring my dog back...I am 1/2 hour away.I find someone to drive me as I needed to put pressure on the bleeding area. Upon arrival we are met by the discharging nurse who proceeded to remove the port in the waiting room without taking him to a sterile area.She blamed me, claiming that I did not put his E-collar on and he must have chewed at the port. In essence, I was blamed for her mistake. She continued to make excuses.."I just came on duty, He's Doctor Gross's (opthomologist) patient there should have been no IV." Fact is she did not read the chart. He was emergency, did not see Dr. Gross. I will NEVER take my dog back there, and advise everyone to STAY AWAY!"

Sounds like intentional slander

AUTHOR: Pug Mommy - (U.S.A.)

I am a PA resident and I have also needed to bring my pet to Metropolitan for care. What is being said here is absurd. There was no bait and switch, and there was no "intentionally reaching the highest possible price" legally afforded by the estimate. If that was the practice's intention they would be out of busines, because there would be a lot more angry customers out there.

When my cat Molly was seen after being attacked by a neighbors dog she was in bad shape. The dog's teeth had punctured one of her lungs and she also had an abdoman full of blood. I was also given an estimate, and it was clearly explained to me how the estimate worked and that it was not a guarantee of final cost, nor was it a guarantee that Molly would live. As far as the price goes, it is called an estimate after all.

As someone who has worked in the field of human medicine myself in the past I am aware of how difficult it must be to make predictions on what may or may not be needed. Even if a surgery is successful, it doesn't mean that it couldn't have been successful while using all of the resources the higher end of your estimate afforded. It doesn't mean that there wasn't a need for the maximum amount of medication afforded by your estimate. It doesn't mean that your pet didn't require more fluids during a longer surgery, or more ICU care for a longer hospital stay. All of those things add up.

I don't know your pets particular details when it comes to why exactly the cost reached such a high amount... but you do. You have the bill in front of you and have obviously read it very thoroughly. They give you a print out that tells you where every single penny went. And comparing that cost to the amount of money it would have cost you at a practice that isn't open 24 hours is not fair.

If a 24 hour clinic had not been available for me to take Molly in that night, I'm not sure she would have lived. I understand that their prices are higher, because they have to pay the costs of keeping a hospital fully staffed and operating 24 hours a day. And with something as serious as what your dog was suffering, I doubt he or she could have waited through the night to be seen somewhere cheaper. That probably would have been very painful for her, and it would not have been fair.

Obviously you do love your dog, or you wouldn't have gone through any of this. I won't agree with what was said above about "putting a price" on your dog or anything like that, because unfortunately I'm sure that this is something that happens more than we realize. Without insurance veterinary care is expensive, and some tough decisions do need to be made. But you made the decision to save your dogs life, and it sounds to me like Metropolitan did a fantastic job of saving your beloved pet.

As far as saying they never explained the 3-4,000 estimate, that is the reason for the title of this comment. I think that is slander. They explain it very clearly in their rebuttal. And the situation seems obvious to me. You were in a room with a specialist, who was helping to diagnose your dog. They told you that it looked like surgery would be needed.

You were upset, and asked them how much they thought something like that would cost. They said that they aren't the one who would be doing the surgery, and that the service responsible for that would give you an estimate. You were upset and said that you would just like to get an idea of what it might cost because you were going to have to make a tough decision and would like to have time to think about it.

They probably felt bad for you, and said that they couldn't imagine that it would be any less than $3-4,000. You probably thought it over like you said, and decided you could foot that bill. Maybe talked it over with a wife or someone. Then when you received the actual estimate you were upset. But convinced yourself to do it. Then when you got the actual bill, you lost it.

I think that everyone there was probably pretty straight with you, and I think you understand that the $3-4,000 was not a real estimate, but you keep going back to that point anyway because you are upset with this hospital and want to cause them as much damage as possible.

Molly's treatment did not reach the high end of her estimate. In fact, I was refunded a small amout of the deposit I left. While I am sure situations like mine are rare, I see it as proof that this hospital is not just throwing charges at customers willy-nilly in order to make a buck. They are treating your animal, and they are charing you what they need to to keep the hospital running as well as it does.

I was very pleased with my experience there, and I believe that the girls working for the emergency clinic are among the most caring nurses I've met in this field. One of them actually teared up with me when I was upset when we first came in.

Would my impression of Metropolitan be different if it had gone over the high end of the esitmate? I think it would have been unexpected, and I might have been upset by the thought of having to come up with money I hadn't been prepared for. But only in that moment, and my anger would not be directed at the staff which had saved Molly's life.

The entire bill was money that I had not expected to have to come up with. The dog attack was obviously not planned, and the money had not been budgeted out. But Molly was worth it. And I will definitely go back there again if any other emergency situation should arise. I believe I received fantastic care.

And my final point, this one is directed towards the last person to leave a comment. Of course it still would have cost that much if your pet died. Just because the end result isn't what you'd hoped for doesnt mean that the hospital did not still do all of the things that you are paying for. They still worked just as hard on your animal, and the costs were still incurred.

You can't expect them to work for free when you bring them a pet who is past the point of being saved. That's like saying that hospitals should not charge insurance companies for a critical patient who had to be helicoptered from a car accident to a nearby hospital but still inevitably died. Just because the patient didn't make it doesn't mean they didn't send the helicopter. That's an expensive service and it still needs to be paid for regardless of the outcome.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

My Bet Is The Bill Would Have Been Just As High

AUTHOR: S.n. - (U.S.A.)

if the dog had not survived. Some veterinary hospitals have a reputation for being ripping people off. These hospitals/clinics prey on those who do care about the well being of their companion animals.

I have seen it first hand. I took a foster canine to an emergency clinic late at night with severe medical issues. I assumed the ER clinic would be just as good as the Specialist Clinic they were attached to and was I ever wrong! I bring an extremely sick dog into an ER clinic and they take her back to a room for an exam but I have to sit out in the waiting room with the vet so that she can go over a big sheet of what "might need to be done" and how much this is going to cost. I explain to her this is not my dog, she is a foster dog, and that I had been unable to reach anyone who could authorize treatment therefore, I am responsible for her medical bills at this time. I gave them my debit card number and requested that on top of everything else they were planning to do that they do one specific test. They requested that I leave her for the rest of the night and I agreed to do so. The next morning I called and asked about her and was told that they needed to keep her for another 24 hours. I asked why and they have an answer. I asked about the test I had requested and "no, they hadn't done that test". I again requested that they run the test and said that I would be in to pick her up since they weren't doing anything for her there that I couldn't do for her at my home.

I walked in to the clinic to retrieve the dog and the woman at the desk did not call to the back and ask for the dog to be brought to the front. I had set my purse down on the counter and her eyes kept darting between the paperwork on her desk and my purse. I finally asked her why there was a delay and she exclaimed "You owe us $4.00!" I informed her they had withdrawn over one thousand dollars from my bank account and they couldn't take out the extra $4.00 as well? She said she needed the card again so I gave it to her. I asked about the results of the test I had requested and was told that it would take a over week to get back after I had been informed the night before that the results would be back within a few days.

I took the dog home, her condition worsened and after discussing her issues with the rescue group, the decision was made to euthanize her and not allow her to suffer. I again called the clinic and asked about the results of the test which "were not back yet". The dog was suffering and I took her to my vet for the euthanization.

ONE MONTH after she was euthanized, my daughter got a call from the vet at the ER clinic informing us that the test was positive and the condition "may have been treatable". I can't tell you specifically what my daughter said to the vet because I wasn't there but I can tell you it was most likely not polite. Because I work with several animal rescues, I am often asked about vet referrals. This ER clinic is on the list of NEVER, EVER take your companion animal for treatment to and I will gladly explain why.

As for this particular person being "cheap", are you that blind? This clinic pulled a rate jack and I think it's disgusting.

Perhaps you would be happier if ....

AUTHOR: Juke - (U.S.A.)

Perhaps the client with the dog would be happier to pay half of the bill but have a dead dog instead. I think you are not understanding the concept of an ESTIMATE. That means ballpark. It is not set in stone. They gave you a guarded prognosis on the outcome of the surgery and LOOK what happened. There was a great outcome. I guess you'd be happier if they were EXACT on their predictions and the dog did not make it. Then you could say the outcome was closer to their prediction given the severity of your pet. If you couldn't have afforded it and it would be such a hardship on you why didn't you just euthanize your dog. Why are you putting a price tag on your pet. You only love your pet if it is CHEAP for you. I have NO respect for how you are treating this particular hospital and the level of care you recieved. I feel sorry for your dog, with you as an owner.

Dr.Richard Silverberg

AUTHOR: Richard - (U.S.A.)

You most probably saw a doctor working an er shift and a specialist was the one who made more of a determining judgement on the price.You never mentioned what the dogs problem was that it needed emergency surgery.It might be best to discuss the issue with the vet that referred you there.They may know the doctors and present your concerns or even possibly get you a refund on some expense since the ER was not so polite apparently letting in your contact info.Er work is tough.In human care that doctor would have made probably 10-20 times that sum and veterinarians especially specialists if you got lucky to get one take a loss relatively speaking for their financial and time efforts to afford you the opportunity to see a specialist.

This is Appalling!

AUTHOR: Ridgebackbreeder - (U.S.A.)

Normally I take complaints about vets with a grain of salt, but the way an employee of Metropolitan responded just adds salt to the wound.

Do they not have any compassion or decency?

Also, they ripped you off worse than you realize, Concerned Dog Lover. You and they both say the fine print allows Metropolitan to go 15 percent over their high quote.

Well, Metropolitan went 23 percent over their high quote from the price quotes and final charge you posted. Sounds like they owe you money on top of the terrible way they treated you with these price changes, but don't expect any sympathy from them given how you were treated above by an employee.

As a suggestion, for those who need emergency veterinary service 24/7, there are good places in both West Chester and Springfield.

The Ad Hominem Attacks Continue by Metropolitan Veterinary Associates

AUTHOR: Concerned Dog Lover - (U.S.A.)

I said I was NEVER rude while my dog was receiving ongoing care. No pet owner would ever do such a thing when the life of his or her beloved pet is in jeopardy. Fact is, Metropolitan Veterinary Associates has been busted for jacking UP prices, and I would ask the reader to decide if these vindictive statements by Metropolitan Veterinary Associates about me being rude to them make sense?

I do understand that 24/7 critical care practices tend to be more expensive. Fine. Then why the first lowball quote $3-4,000? Why then give a written quote of $5,158-$7,832 on the EXACT same diagnosis? Why was the final bill $10,118 when there were no complications?

These were the questions I have had and they have never been answered. I even stated in an email to Metropolitan Veterinary Associates that I felt the medical care was solid and I even thanked the surgeon.

I was NEVER rude until I complained about the above jacked-up price quotes on discharge and was offered no sensible explanation. As far as rudeness goes, the person I had the conversation with when my dog was discharged was just as rude to me as I was to her. I used no expletives - just strong words describing how I felt about them jacking-up prices when I had been in a fragile emotional state over concern for the life of my beloved dog that would make me susceptible to accepting ever increasing prices when my dog's life is on the line.

I am also writing this to educate the consumer. There are only a few 24/7 pet care clinics in the Philadelphia area that you can walk into and get immediate service at 2am. However, there are more than a few veterinarian practices in the Philly area that will do this type of surgery and provide the 24/7 care needed in the healing process. Two quoted me approx. $5,000 after looking at the line item invoice that Metropolitan Veterinary Associates came in at a final $10,188.

What the consumer reading this should find interesting is that Metropolitan Veterinary Associates' written low estimate of $5,182 comes right in the range two regular vets quoted me of about $5,000 for the procedure. Then WHAM - before you know it is $10,188 when there were NO complications.

These are the facts the consumers should consider, while they should also take into consideration why Metropolitan Veterinary Associates feels the need in two rebuttals to personally attack me when I was in an extremely fragile emotional state and presently feel extremely taken advantage off. Is it guilt on their behalf? Is it just plain old mean spiritedness for getting your hand caught in the cookie jar?

You the consumer decide, and instead of a rebuttal with Metropolitan Veterinary Associates offering a precise explanation for a final price that is approx. DOUBLE there original written low estimate when there were NO complications, expect more personal attacks against me in a disturbing attempt to deflect from the facts and the truth of what transpired.

Anyone ever hear the statement that the "customer is always right"? Even if the customer is wrong (which I am not), what does it say about Metropolitan Veterinary Associates for personally attacking me?

What this factual experience should tell the consumer is that if they have the same experience as I did at Metropolitan Veterinary Associates, and if the consumer were to voice a complaint - expect to be personally attacked while receiving no explanation about your complaint.

The above rebuttal by a Metropolitan Veterinary Associates employee states: Get over it!. Read my above posts and how I describe my actual emotions. If you are a pet owner and a pet lover, how would you feel being treated this way on what is now an ONGOING basis when all I started out doing was stating the FACTS of my experience and suggesting to consumers that they educate themselves.

I think an educated consumer now knows all he or she needs to know about Metropolitan Veterinary Associates to make an educated decision on choosing veterinary care. From this little back and forth, you can choose to use Metropolitan Veterinary Associates or you can choose not to.

You Still Do Not Get It

AUTHOR: Get The Facts Straight - (U.S.A.)

Mr. dog lover still does not get the concept that his dog is not a car. It is a living breathing being. His original quote was given by a person who does not do the procedures and it was corrected immediately.(within 15 min and previously reported and documented by DVR). Get over it! He was rude and this was documented in his records by a number of staff members. Again his comparisons of this practice with others is not appropriate.

There are only 2 other private referral hospitals plus the University locally that could have provided the same service and potentially the same outcome and their prices are compatible or higher than ours. One can only compare prices for like services and care. I'm sure he will rebuf this and say he has done this but we know the other specialty/referral practices very well and have spoken to them to compare prices and we were even told it could have been more elswhere. My challange to Mr dog lover is to find out how much surgery for a septic abdomen with ICU care would cost at Penn. I bet we are cheaper.

The bottom line is that his dog had a very poor prognosis with a very serious life threatening problem. Again there is NO exact price for any of this. A DOG IS NOT A CAR! This was explained extensively before and obviously Mr dog lover is so vindictive he still cannot grasp this concept. His dog was successfully diagnosed and treated by this hospital.

Instead of being grateful that someone had the expertise to save his dog his dog's life he has to waste everyone's time and try to slander the practice. It is sad that after doing something good for someone they can only pick it apart and complain. I guess it is obvious we are never going to agree, BUT YOUR DOG IS WELCOME.

Wrong

AUTHOR: Concerned Dog Lover - (U.S.A.)

First of all, I was never rude with ANY employee of Metropolitan Veterinary Associates while my dog was receiving care. I love him dearly and would not take a chance with any vet of being rude when my dog's life was in the hands of a vet. Upon discharge, words were had about how I was treated by Metropolitan Veterinarian Associates and my complaints were rebuffed. The words between myself and an employee of Metropolitan Veterinary Associates were equally rude, but can you blame me?

Secondly, they ADMIT they gave me a lowball quote. They DO NOT deny the price range I quoted. They do not deny coming in at the HIGHEST possible price they could charge - which ended up being more than THREE TIMES their original lowball quote. The NEVER gave a satisfactory explanation as to why an operation that went without a hitch would be approx. $5,000 (twice as much) more than their low-end printed estimate. They DO NOT deny my reference to two other vets that this surgery should have cost $5,000 or LESS for the exact same surgery. Just yesterday my dog went to my regular vet for follow-up and this vet even told me that given the fact that I am out of work and had to borrow the money - he would have done it at cost, which he estimated at $3,000.

Fact is, Metropolitan Veterinary Associates does not deny a first lowball quote of $3-4,000, they do not deny a second higher quote on the EXACT same diagnosis $5,158-$7,832 and they do NOT deny a final bill of $10,118, and they do not deny the surgery and aftercare had NO complications.

I even read-up online a report from a psychologist that describes the impact of raising prices for basic consumer products, let alone for the life of a beloved pet, can have once a person has made a commitment to the lower price.

People in this situation may blame themselves for what has happened, resulting in overwhelming guilt and shame. If the person has borrowed money from others (as I had to) to pay, these feelings are magnified. Further compounding the problem is the public opinion of people who end up paying the higher price. People who pay the higher price "should" have picked up on this and are often viewed as moronic, in complete disregard to the fact that people from all walks of life and at every level of education will pay the new higher prices on the same diagnosis when their beloved pet's life is on the line. The person, feeling they have lost money through what they feel is manipulation may become distrustful of the financial system. These people may stop trusting and giving money to churches, legitimate charities and, in the extreme, even service providers such as their electric company because of their requests for money. The stress caused by the dwindling wealth and mounting debt can tear families and interpersonal relationships apart. Some commit suicide.

THIS is what can happen when you keep raising prices on a person and make them feel the fool. Instead of taking responsibility for the price changes, note how Metropolitan Veterinary Associates is blaming me for being rude when I was not. I was in TEARS and CRYING in their examination room out of concern for my dog and they dare say I was rude!? You the reader decide. Am I being unfair for feeling emotionally torn up over having to put an ever increasing price on the head of my dog when I don't have the money? At one point I considered while I was there having to put my dog down if my dad did not lend me the money. How does it make a person feel to know that since he is out of work he may have to allow his dog to die?

These are the emotions I had to deal with - and Metropolitan Veterinarian Associates blames ME for being rude when they admit jacking-up the prices when I was in NO DOUBT an extremely fragile state? That should tell you all you need to know about Metropolitan Veterinary Associates.

If they had quoted $8-10,000 up front, I could have made a tough, but fair decision. Outside of the emotional trauma this situation caused me, ask yourself why Metropolitan Veterinary Associates would, as they admit and/or will not deny, first quote a lowball $3-4,000, then $5,158-$7,832, with a final bill of $10,118 when the surgery went fine. I am just stating facts and the reader can decide. No ad hominem attacks on Metropolitan Veterinary Associates by me. Just the facts that they admit or won't deny, and you the reader decide if I was treated fairly.

get the facts straight

AUTHOR: Get The Facts Straight - (U.S.A.)

I am wrighting a rebuttal to this complaint to set the record straight. The first paragragh is accurate in that this gentleman's dog needed emergency surgery for a SEPTIC ABDOMEN. For those of you who are not medically oriented the dog had a foreign odject in the GI tract that had perforated the small bowel in multiple locations over a distance of 2 feet and intestinal contents were leaking free in the belly. There was also free barium in the belly from an upper GI study done by his primary veterinarian in an attempt to diagnose the dog's illness. This is a very critical and often fatal situation and requires immedite emergency surgery and intensive care. The prognosis with these patients is very guarded despite aggressive management. People and animals die frequenly from bowel leakage and free barium into the abdomen.

The second pragragh is partially correct in that the original quote was given by the radiologist doing an ultrasound as a ball park and he immediately defered to the critical care doctor who would be in charge of this case. The cold and sterile room is the exam room where patients and clients are seen. It is neither cold nor sterile. It is functional.

The critical care doctor spoke to this gentleman inside of 15min(we have a DVR surveillance tape to prove it) after she examined his dog. This is not an unreasonable amount of time to examine a patient and chart and come to treatment recommendations.

She explained to this gentleman that this was a critical and dynamic situation and costs are not fixed but estimated. He was give an estimate by the critical care doctor that indeed was higher but he was told up front it was an estimate. This is a living breathing being and the amount of post-op care in ICU, blood products, medications etc cannot be predicted. On the admission form there is a sentence for a 15% buffer. This is not in fine print or hidden in any way shape or form. We try to stay within estimates however this is not always possible due to the dynamic nature of medicine. This dog is alive and well and it is due to the diligence of the doctors and staff at Metropolitan. He may have been able to get less expensive care but NOT BETTER CARE ANYWHERE.

Finally, while we understand the emmotoinal drain of these types of situations there isn't justification for rude and agressive behavior. This gentleman was not a gentleman at all. He was mean and belligerant to the people trying to help him and his dog yet everyone overlooked this and saved his dog and treated him with repect. I don't think this was a rip off do you?

get the facts straight