Complaint Review: Munson Marine

• Munson Marine
    501 East Grand Avenue
    Fox Lake, Illinois
    United States of America

Went to the Kane County Boat Show and were looking at boats.  A saleman for Munson Marine showed us a Regal 1900 we were interested in but unsure.  He told us that if we gave him a deposit he would hold the pricing for us on the boat because it was a special price for the boat show.  He said that we could cancel before delivery, and that the deal would be pending a water test.

Well, 4 weeks later we run into financial hardships and are unable to go thru with the boat purchase.  I call Munson Marine to cancel my order, and spoke with the sales manager named Sam.  Sam tells me I cannot cancel my order, and that my $1000 deposit will not be returned and they are keeping it.  She also told me that they "Held the boat for 4 weeks for me"  Well, after checking their inventory on their webpage, they have 2 more of the same boat in stock - so they did NOT lose any business because of this.  Also, I told her my salesman said I could cancel and she said "did he write that on your invoice, nope - sorry, I am not giving you your money back"

She was VERY callus and cold in her tone and the way she spoke to me.  I will be filing a grievance with my credit card company, thank god I did not give them cash or a personal check.

I just find it funny that a company expects to keep $1000 for NO SERVICES RENDERED.  Wow, I wonder what kind of service I could have expected if I actually went thru with my purchase.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/30/2010 09:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/munson-marine/fox-lake-illinois-60041/munson-marine-scam-fox-lake-illinois-598551. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
3Employee/Owner

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

CREDIT CARD COMPANY RULES IN FAVOR OF MUNSON MARINE

AUTHOR: csm - (USA)

CREDIT CARD COMPANY RULES IN FAVOR OF MUNSON MARINE!

The customer's Credit Card company and Munson Marine's Credit Card processing company have ruled that the customer is not getting a refund.  After months of documents and information going back and forth, the final decision made by the Credit Card companies is that the customer LIED and purposely held the boat off the market for over 2 months.  Munson Marine was able to show and prove expenses, such as interest and insurance, to hold this boat for 2+ months.

The Credit Card company stated that the customer did not adhere the Terms and Conditions on the Purchase Agreement which they agreed to and signed.  Munson Marine did everything it was suppose to according to the signed contract

Munson Marine has on several occasions over the years refunded deposits on boat purchases for many different reasons.  In this particular case, however, the customer did not disclose in their complaint here on the Ripoff Report all the details and only wanted to BASH Munson Marine.  When all was said and done, Munson Marine did nothing wrong and the Credit Card companies agreed.

So please do not take this complaint seriously.

THANK YOU!!

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Nice Try! William- Orland Park is customer's father

AUTHOR: csm - (USA)

Just so everyone knows, "William- Orland Park", is the customer's father William Wentz.  She had her father fabricated a FALSE Complaint/Rebuttal against Munson Marine.  This should tell everyone what kind of person we are dealing with.

So please do not take this complaint seriously.  Thank You!!

#3 General Comment

Sounds like sour grapes

AUTHOR: William - (U.S.A.)

Irregardless of the reason the customer canceled their order - what gives you as a dealership the right to keep the customers 1000 dollars ?  So they wanted you to hide the cash payment - ok, you as a moral upstanding company said no.  Cancel the order.

None of your babble justifies you keeping 1000 dollars and giving NOTHING in return.

Was the customer told they could cancel ?  Was the customer told the deal was pending a water test ?  You never answered to that.

Now, if the customer had you special order in a boat for them - that would be a different story.  But you didn't.  You sold them an in stock boat.  So your story of having all these expenses because of the customers order just doesn't hold water.  (get it ?  Hold water?  lol)

So if the customers story is true and the IRS froze their accounts, or financial hardships or whatever - and they dont have any money to purchase your boat - what gives you the right to hold onto their money ?

I am SO glad I read this story, I was just searching before purchasing a boat myself.  I was actually in your showroom last week, and was seriously leaning towards a purchase.  Now after reading the original posters claim, and your weak rebuttal - I will definately be making my purchase somewhere else.  So consider this another lost sale for your company, you should have refunded the money immediately.

On the flip side - I notice the OP stated they put the deposit on a credit card.  Thats good, because they DEFINATELY will get their money back.  You are just being spiteful and tying up their money now for a few weeks fighting the process.  Thats ok, because you at Munson Marine and I both KNOW that the customer will be getting their money back soon enough.

Shame on you Munson Marine.

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

The Real Story

AUTHOR: csm - (United States of America)

The customer purchased an in-stock boat on 3/7/10 and signed a purchase contract with an agreed to final payment date of 4/15/10.  Customer gave a $1,000 deposit to hold boat until closing date of 4/15/10.  On 4/6/10 our Business Manager started calling customer to schedule a time to come in and close by the agreed date of 4/15/10.  After serveral phone calls, customer finally called back on 4/9/10.  She said that they were going out of town and counldn't close by 4/15/10.  She said she was sending us an additional $10,000 deposit to hold the boat until 4/30/10.  They would come in on 4/30/10 to close and pay the final balance.

After several phone calls leaving voice mails, customer called on 4/30/10.  Our Business Manager told her we never received the $10,000 additional deposit promised us back on 4/9/10.  On 4/30/10 customer said that they wanted to pay for the boat in-full with CASH and wanted Munson Marine to hide the CASH from the IRS by depositing it in small increments.  Our Business Manager told her that we would not break the law and could not hide the cash as suggested.  Any cash over $10,000 would have to be reported to the IRS.  The customer explained that they always pay with cash and that they just bought a new car with all cash and the dealer promised to hide the cash inorder to make the sale.  We again told her that we would not break the law.

The customer became angry and said that if we did not agree to hide the cash from the IRS, that they would cancel the deal and not buy the boat.  We held the boat off the market for 8 weeks (3/7/10 till 4/30/10), not 4 weeks as the customer states in their complaint.  We would not break the law, so the customer did not go through with the purchase.

Munson Marine held this boat off the market for 8 weeks, not only a couple of weeks.  The customer did not close by the agreed date on the contract of 4/15/10.  The customer did not send the additional $10,000 as promised.  Customer wanted Munson Marine to break the law and hide cash from the IRS.  Munson Marine did nothing wrong and should be reimbursed for our cost to carry a $30,000 boat for 8 weeks.  Plus we ordered another boat to replace this one, so now we have 2 boats in stock paying interest, insurance, etc.

Munson Marine has been in business for 53 years and takes good care of its customers.  We refund deposits if the reason for cancellation is legitimate and within a reasonable time, not 8 weeks.  This customer lied and wanted us to break the law and when we said "No" they cancelled the deal.  Then on the same day, 4/30/10, wrote this complaint against us.

We told the customer that their deposit of $1000 would be kept on account to be used in the future if they decided to purchase a boat.

Customer called and told our Business Manager that the IRS has frozen all of their accounts.  The car dealer they just purchased their car from for cash who agreed to hide the cash, did not hide it and reported it to the IRS which was a Red Flag.  Seems that the IRS finally caught up with them breaking the Law.