Complaint Review:

• Updated: Wed, January 13, 2010

• Reported By: Robert — Strasburg Virginia United States of America
Musician's Friend, Inc.
931 Chevy Way, Medford, Oregon United States of America

Musician's Friend, Inc. Failed to issue refund on returned merchandise Musician's Friend, Oregon

*Consumer Comment: Problem fixed

On Nov 30, 2009 I ordered a guitar, case and other items from this company using their website.  I paid using cash in my PayPal account.  I received the items but after less than 2 weeks I decided to return the guitar and case for a refund.  I called their returns department and received a RTN for returning the items.  I shipped them via UPS and on Dec 17th they received the items as evidenced by UPS tracking.

On Dec 22 I had not received my refund back to my PayPal account.  I contacted them via a special webpage on their website (they do not publish any email address you can use to contact them).  The response I received was that the items were credited to my PayPal account on Dec 18th and Dec 20th (a Sunday).  They were not.

I responded back to them that same day via this special webpage that the credits were not applied to my PayPal account and they were adamant that they had refunded the money.  They had not.

So I filed complaints with the BBB, with the Oregon Department of Justice, complaints.com and the Federal Trade Commission on Dec 22nd and sent them copies of the complaints via their special webpage.

Suddenly they changed their tune and were all apologetic saying there was some sort of technical problem crediting my PayPal account and that the credit would be made immediately.  It was not.

They continued to patronize me by saying they were working on the problem so on Dec 23rd I filed a complaint with PayPal which froze their account.  I sent them an email about the complaint and then they responded on Dec 24th that they couldn't credit my PayPal account because of the complaint I had filed with PayPal which froze their account.  So I lifted the complaint but still no refund.

On Dec 29th I still had not received my refund back to my PayPal account so I wrote letters to their CEO and the CEO of their parent company, Guitar Center.

I've since offered to accept merchandise in lieu of the refund and now they claim they can't send me merchandise because they still claim my refund has been issued.  It has not been issued.

I know how Paypal works because I'm a PayPal merchant.  Refunds occur instantly, as soon as they're issued because PayPal is like a bank account and the minute you issue that refund, you are depositing funds into that person's account.  I've asked for a date, amount and transaction ID to their transaction but they've never been able to provide any documented evidence of any refunds issued to me.

I'm tired of getting the runaround and being lied to, I want my money back.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/04/2010 05:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/on-line-business-musician-s-friend-in-musician-s-friend-inc-faile-549393. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Musician's Friend, Inc.