Complaint Review: paypal

• Reported By: geda — abbeville Alabama United States of America
  • paypal

Internet
    United States of America

paypal withholding attempted identity theft info and banned me from paypal Internet

I run an online business and have been using paypal for years and years. One day this month I logged into paypal and much to my surprise my account was limited. I noticed I had a negative balance (I guess it was a charge back) As it was not a large amount of money I paid it to get my account out of the negative and have my account restored.

Days went by and nothing. I called paypal and the man said the account was limited because someone in Brazil had tried to open an account with my bank info and not because it was negative. I thought wow Identity theft and they caught it. So he said he needs to investigate it further and to give him a couple more days.

ok a couple more days later still nothing (in the mean time i had contacted my bank and they made notes and what not, also wanted me to try and get as much info on the attempt from paypal)
So I call paypal again and spoke with a woman and she said my account has been limited permanently and that it was because of "suspicious activity" I told her I was aware of the attempt of theft and asked her if i needed to open another account  with her as the first was compromised, she said no, I will not be able to use paypal ever again..

Ok..I asked her why would I be banned because someone attempted identity theft from Brazil and she told me because no one would have been able to make such an attempt unless I gave them the info. So I asked, I need what ever info you have about this for my bank and she told me absolutely not that they do not release information on their investigations into suspicious activity. WOW ok I tell her i want to close the account completley and remove my banking information and again I was told NO!! So now I am in the process of changing all my banking information because if this  company cant help with what Ive asked, then I dont want my banking info held by them to do what they want with it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/30/2011 03:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/paypal/internet/paypal-withholding-attempted-identity-theft-info-and-banned-me-from-paypal-internet-815974. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content