Complaint Review: Petland Kennesaw

• Petland Kennesaw
    2920 George Busbee Pkwy. Suite 101
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    USA

Petland Kennesaw Petland, Petland Kennesaw Georgia Awful Customer Service and General Employee Knowledge Kennesaw Georgia

*General Comment: This person is an idiot

I have never had a good experience with this store. I use it as a matter of convenience, because it is much like the "Wal-Mart" of pet stores. They have many different types of pets and supplies for said pets. However, I am very upset with the information employees have given me in the past, and recently.

Let's start with my puppy-shopping experience. I was searching for a yorkie during Christmas, and my first notion was to go to Petland. There were a couple I was very interested in, so I asked one of the employees how much they would cost. "Which ones?" She asked, and I pointed out the four tiny ones in a display case. "Oh, I'd say around 1900." Ridiculously out of my price range, but I figured maybe I could save up or make a payment plan.

A couple days later, I went in, and only one of the 4 yorkies I had seen was left, but he was precious nonetheless, so I asked to hold him and play with him. After some precious bonding, I asked again how much he would cost, to another employee, and he proceeded to get out a binder and told me "2700." What?! That is ridiculously off base from the "original" price. I understand supply and demand may (unfairly) raise a puppy's price, but 800 dollars in a matter of 7 days or less? That's unbelievable. I am not the first either to have this little miscommunication issue.

Skip forward to a week or two ago, I was just visiting (I do love to play with the animals) and in general, I was searching for a cockatiel. They had 3 there. One caught my eye, he was making a bit of a chirping sound (The kind babies make when they're hungry) so I picked him up, and he instantly hopped on my shoulder and started to play in my hair. Well, I just fell in love. I asked a girl how much the cockatiels were, and she responded "80." I asked "80, you said?" She replied "Yes," with a smile. I was a bit shocked because usually pet stores sell them for at least 100 dollars, however breeders tend to sell them for anywhere from 50-90 dollars. I decided perhaps I would get him, since he was SO sweet.

I come back, a day or two later, ready to pay for him and check out, smiling like an idiot because he's playing in my hair again, and the employee is grinning back. "I'd like to get this bird, please." She'd begun ringing me up when a man came up, looked down at the bird, looked over at the girl, and said "He can't leave yet, he's still being hand fed." I asked him what he wanted me to do. He replied, "Well you can pay for him now, and come back for him in a week or so." I sighed, and figured a week wasn't so bad, but I turned to the cash register and instead of the expected 80 dollars, the total was 180.

Now, normally, I would say I must have misheard the employee, even though I asked again to make sure that is what she had said, but as I put at the beginning, this is not the first time this has happened to me. When I explained this, one of them replied, "Well she probably worked over at the puppies, saw you over there, and thought she could help. We are separated, some work at the puppies, other work at the small animals, so we don't always know the prices." Now, to me that screams incompetence. The prices are listed right at the register. Should you work in one department, you stay in that department. If a customer asks for help with something you don't know, then you should ask for another employee's help or check whatever it is! These people are working with animals, not fruit; they should be educated in the delicate creatures they are handling!!!

I was so angry I walked out, minus the cockatiel. 180 dollars, what a ridiculous price!! 200 for a cockatiel? No, absolutely not. But the more I thought about that little bird, the more I was considering paying that much. Finally, maybe 3 days later, I found myself back in Petland. I decided to buy the d**n bird. I already felt a bond with him.

I came back in, and there were only 2 left. Luckily, one of them was the one I wanted. I asked what happened to the other one, and the employee said, "I don't know, I came in this morning and he was gone. I don't know if they sold him or he died or what. I don't know." Aside from the atrocious reply he gave me, I would like to point out this is the employee who works with the birds. Absolutely sad.

After purchasing him, I asked how long I would have to wait. The same employee replied "About a week," Which would be a Friday. "How do you keep from someone else buying him?" I asked, skeptical. In a normal pet store, the way to solve isolating a purchased pet is to put them in a separate tank, cage, or pen, and write "RESERVED" somewhere on it. Their solution was to "Describe the bird" On my receipt and put it on a glass wall near the cockatiel cage. These cockatiels all looked very close to the same, and unless you had spent time with them, you would not be able to tell them apart.

"Well, can you mark him somehow?" I asked. "Yeah, sure," He replied, and proceeded to put a tiny sharpie dash mark on his toe. I should have asked to separate him. I wish I would have.

Tuesday (T minus 3 days until my bird comes home!) I come in. Everything is ready. The cage is set up, toys and food have been bought, I'm ready to take this bird home now, except for the fact that he is still being "Handfed" and cannot go home until he is weaned. So I walk into the store, locate the cockatiel cage, but, gasp, there are no cockatiels! Maybe they isolated him, I thought nervously. I asked an employee, who curtly replied, "Oh, they sold him." Excuse me? How do you sell a bird that's already been sold? Illegally, that's how. I am furious. I am SO angry. And upset. I know there is no way to get this bird back. They'd told me he couldn't be taken home until he was weaned! What a crock of bull!

The manager comes out, and he tells me what I already know, he can't get that bird back. Now, I will say, they are giving me first pick of the next cockatiels to come in, and they also gave me 100 dollars store credit. However, as I said, 180 dollars is a ridiculous price, and I would never pay that much for a bird, save that one in particular bird. I don't want another d**n Petland bird. I am upset.

This could have all been prevented with a few key things.

First, employees should be better educated about animals. Prices, breeds, feeding, and otherwise.

Second, Animals who are purchased should be isolated! This is ridiculous! I don't expect an employee to know which bird is mine, why would the manager?!

And Third, Employees who specialize in an animal should be the only ones to care for and sell that animal. I'm sure if the 'Bird expert' who told me he wasn't sure what happened to their other bird had kept watch of the cockatiel, mine would be here when I came in to pick him up on Friday.

Petland is a mess. Their manager did help me, but you don't replace a puppy or kitten you really want with another, and the same goes for birds. Please consider buying somewhere else before you get stuck in something you can't get out of.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/12/2014 10:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/petland-kennesaw/kennesaw-georgia/petland-kennesaw-petland-petland-kennesaw-georgia-awful-customer-service-and-general-emp-1130169. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

#1 General Comment

This person is an idiot

AUTHOR: animal friend - ()

Going to an animal shelter would have been your best bet.  Providing more sales and profit for these idiots at Petland is creating unwanted litters of puppies and kittens.  There are million of homeless cats and dogs waiting for a home, most are sadly killed while waiting.  And yet here is this moron who goes to Petland to look for a dog.  Most animal shelters fees for puppies and kittens range anywhere from $50-100 and most have connections with folks who do rescue for particular breeds.  Breeding cats and dogs should be illegal until all shleters are depleted of unwanted animals...aka...meaning every cat and dog goes to a good home.  And let's not even talk about the fact that they need to be monitored into a good home.  There are scum out there who send their cute wives or girlfriends to the shelters looking for dog bait to use in dog fighting.  There are scum out there who will steal your cute dog or cat out of your yard for dog fighting as well.  Craigslist provides these iditos a way to earn a free cat or dog, just look at the want ads...also another way this moron above could have provided a good home.  Dumb, dumb, wake up.  You enable these stores, like the one that used to be in Town Center Mall, thank God it is gone!!!  The ASPCA finally caught on to their scams...much like Petland.

Basically in a nut shell if you are a stay at home mommy and like to take the kiddies to Petland just to see the dogs confined in cages for most of their lives (6 weeks -6 months) then you are an idiot.  Go to an animal shelter and help out.  Most places need help cleaning cages, you could have kidos sit and play with the dog or cat while the staff cleans.  Duh!  Oh and when you support a horrid place such as Petland you support puppy mills.  Puppy mills over breed the mother and she suffers, then the puppies are weened too early, stuffed in a pine box and then on  cargo hold under the plane with your luggage.  Most suffocate from exhaust fumes while in transit.  Date, facts and knowledge, look it up.  Then when the puppy is "opened" at Petland they are dehydrated, confused, scared, not properly weened, and full of disease.  Most die from Parvo, Destemper and other easy treated diseases.  Vets could give two craps about this, they don't like coming to pet stores because they don't like supporting them either.

How do I know all this?  I was once a young person who worked for a "pet store" and saw every horrid thing imaginable.  Everything I have mentioned above happened at the one in the mall.  Easy thing to rememeber: do not support places like Petland.  And most places like that hire teenagers and young people, like I was, because they don't have experience in the real world and what is really going on behind the scenes.  I figured it out and quit after revealing their horrid secrets.  When you go to a store like this and a person doesn't give you good quality customer service it is because they are not experienced enough.  They don't get to sit on their house wife laurels and play with yorkies all day.  They are learning and working, maybe something you should do.  Give them a break.  Sorry they can't live up to your standards, this isn't Dillards or Nordstoms ya know.  Maybe put your latte, kindle, and coach hand bag  down and help them learn and not be so judgemental.

Also, do not support Petsmart or Petco becuase they treat their small animals (birds, mice, reptiles, fish, etc) like crap.  They all show up in boxes, and then are releasesed in to small cages/unatural environments in surplus and are sick to begin with.  A fact.  Google petsmart and petcos dirty little secrets.

Have a brain before you go to "look at the cute animals".   Do your research.  Spend some time elsewhere.  There are really cool and friendly people out there looking for help, too.  Not everyone is as educated as you are, apparently.