Complaint Review: Progressive Insurance

• Progressive Insurance

Brooklyn, New York
    United States of America

Progressive Insurance Scam/ Negligence Brooklyn, New York

*Consumer Comment: Pretty simple.

In January of 2012 there was a drunk driver who hit about nine cars. Two of which were totaled, one of those totaled cars was mine. At the scene of the accident all the damaged cars were towed away, all except one. The front of my car was so badly hit that my engine was pretty much sitting in my front seat. At the time I couldn't see any similarity to any of the other cars damages comparing to mine.

After towing my car away I noticed that the car behind me had taken a little fender damage. Also, the man didn't seem at all bother by it and didn't see the point in towing it away.

As time went on I had stayed in contact with the other party insurance since mine wouldn't cover any cost of the damage done to my car. He had Progressive Insurance and his limit was only ten thousand. At the time I thought that I would definitely get the estimated amount of my car since it took the most damage.

I drove a 2001 Saturn. It was in great condition, and luckily for me I had just put about a grand into the car a few days before the accident to fix a couple of things.

Now onto my point. About a couple of weeks after the accident Progressive Insurance took a look at my car and estimated I should get about 2600. I thought this was great news but I couldn't forget that there were also 8 other cars involved. So the chances of me getting that didn't seem to good.

They had informed me that another car was totaled. A car parked not to far from mine. Which I was surprised to hear at the time. There was no other car at the scene of the accident with any damage done to it like mine. I hoped for the best that I would still get my estimated amount but it wasn't looking to good.

3 months later when all is said and done I get a call from Progressive Insurance. They tell me I am only receiving a thousand dollars. I was furious. I couldn't understand why I was getting such a little amount. I haven't had a car in almost 4 months.

I asked Progressive Insurance "which car" and "how much" each party got. He told me that out of all 8 people that were involved only 6 got anything. My car got a thousand, a woman with a smashed door got around the same, the man who as well was totaled got 2000, and as he goes on he brings up the car that was parked behind me.

The car that got a fender bender from my car being totaled and pushed into his. The same guy that didn't want his car to be towed away cause he thought nothing of the accident or damage done to his car. He received 3000 dollars. He drove a Toyota Carola 2011.

At the scene I remember friends of his going up to him and saying that if he didn't tow it he could get more money. And other things he could do to get more money. Now is this progressives fault? Or is this guy just a snake? I definitely don't feel I got anything for the damage I took. I also have pictures of his car.

Any suggestions on what I should do would be gladly appreciated. Thank you.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/11/2012 10:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/progressive-insurance/brooklyn-new-york-/progressive-insurance-scam-negligence-brooklyn-new-york-866965. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

0Author
1Consumer
0Employee/Owner

Pretty simple.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

"  Any suggestions on what I should do would be gladly appreciated. "

You are owed what your car was worth by the driver that did the damage, plus reasonable rental expenses.   His insurance company is liable for paying liabilities to the limits of his policy.  Anything above that falls to the driver.    If I were you, I'd file against the other driver in small claims court for the amount your vehicle was worth, minus the $1K you received from Progressive.    It should be pretty easy to get a judgement in your favor.

Note : This strategy will only work if you did not sign a waiver / settlement of your claim when you received the check from Progressive.    If you did sign a waiver, you agreed that your claim was worth exactly what they paid you.