Complaint Review: Radnor Veterinary Hospital

• Radnor Veterinary Hospital
    107 North Aberdeen Avenue
    Wayne, Pennsylvania
    USA

Radnor Veterinary Hospital Len Donato Concerned more about reputation than family member. Wayne Pennsylvania

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: I hope Tiki is well

*Author of original report: Please keep meaningless comments to yourself.

*Consumer Comment: Not sure on this...

I do not believe any other individual or organization has a hidden agenda or vendetta against this practice.  The following is an actual occurrence; please use your own opinion as to whether or not this is the right place for you and your loved one.

We took our beloved family member to this practice.  What ensued was a literal nightmare.  She needed semi-urgent care.  An examination was performed, x-rays were taken and an office procedure was scheduled.  Please note: the trip to this particular practice takes three hours one way, and is six-hour, or more, round trip.  This occurred during a holiday weekend and week, being July 3.

The office was contacted at 8:15 am, but no one was there to answer the telephone.  As such, a message was left that the patient and family were on their way.  An office staff member called back at 8:30 am, who was reminded of the travel time and requested to call back immediately if there was a problem.  The office was contacted again around 10:15 am, but once again and for the next four attempts, there was no answer.  On the fifth call, a voice mail had to be left stating traffic was horrendous.  A staff member called back and left a voice mail on the patient’s family cellular phone at approximately 11:00 am, which stated, "The doctor is gone for the day.”  Upon receipt of the voice mail, the office was immediately called back and told there was nothing that could be done now, and we had to be seen.

In fact, a tractor-trailer had flipped over on the Blue Route, it was closed and an alternative route had been undertaken but was taking longer than expected.  The staff member was asked to contact the doctor and request he return to the office.  The patient's family was adamantly advised no such action would be undertaken, and told to go to Pennsylvania University Veterinary Hospital and get an emergency procedure performed there.  This instruction was ridiculous.  The procedure was necessary and time was of the essence.  The procedure would be double the cost, and Penn does not do the procedure as an "emergency.”  Therefore, the soonest Penn had available was July 19 or 20.  The office was called back and told the patient was coming anyway due to the aforementioned information received by Penn.  Thus, it was imperative the doctor, Len Donato, be required to return as soon as possible.

The harsh elements of 90+ degrees and protracted trip length were going to be problematic.  The family was advised they could leave the patient at the practice.  Here is the catch; no one would be there and the practice did not have long-term oxygen therapy.  What???? Upon arrival at the practice, the family was again advised to go to Penn and the same information was exchanged.  Regardless, Dr. Donato's staff was asked to contact him directly so we could speak to each other, review the issues and stress the salient points.  Obviously, we believed he had not gotten all the data surrounding the circumstances.  Otherwise, how could his judgment be so harsh?  How could he be so cruel?  Well, one look at the reviews and overall opinions as to behavior and attitude speak volumes.  It is unfortunate we did not know this prior to scheduling any appointments with him.

As a side note, he seemed fine initially when attempting to gain our trust and business.  It was only after he felt inconvenienced or that we were trying to somehow take advantage of him that he showed his true colors.  When we first came to his practice, he was going to be in surgery on a Friday.  When we attempted to schedule the procedure, it had to be on a Monday or Tuesday.  When the patient was unable to travel due to the auto air conditioner having stopped working, which would cause the patient to have a stroke, no one at the practice seemed to care genuinely about the details.

After the fiasco of the holiday and the 10-hour round trip, this doctor was clearly advised the adverse affects on the patient prevented the procedure from being done on Wednesday, which was scheduled on Monday after the doctor walked out on us, the patient and the procedure.  In any case, we sought the procedure be done on Friday of the same week as he had done for another patient.  This would prevent undue delay.  We were told to go screw off, essentially.  We were demanded to be there the following week on Monday morning by 9:00 am or else, you guessed it, go screw yourself again.  We also sought to speak directly with the doctor on several occasions prior to Monday.  He never contacted us, so we believe it was his bad attitude and blatant refusal to have open dialog.

The next event was equally awful.  Any veterinarian that contacted this office or the doctor was told in no uncertain terms what PITA's we were (pain in the a*s) type people.  This same practice and office went on to disparage and defame us to the extent that three other practices will not even see the patient, despite what we try to tell them.  One has gone so far as to state they spoke directly with Dr. Donato, and then hung up on us, after we were told to....yes, go screw off again.  Sound familiar???? You know what they say, there is no such thing as coincidence.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/18/2017 07:58 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/radnor-veterinary-hospital/wayne-pennsylvania-19087/radnor-veterinary-hospital-len-donato-concerned-more-about-reputation-than-family-member-1386364. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year. Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report. READ: Foreign websites steal our content

1Author
1Consumer
1Employee/Owner

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

I hope Tiki is well

AUTHOR: Dr. Len Donato - (United States of America)

I will refrain from using your name, but I hope Tiki is well. I have not personally met you or examined your bird. Dr. DeLozier kindly saw you when you were eight hours late for your appointment with me. We understand that accidents happen, but you were routinely many hours late for your appointments without letting us know. I drive somewhat routinely to your area and it takes me 1 hour and 45 minutes with heavy traffic.

We did everything to accomodate you. It seems this was a pattern with other veterinarians you saw. When they called for our records after you visited them, it is one of the first things they have mentioned to my staff. Also those other veterinarians had commented on how challenging it was to work with you. One time when you were on the phone with my office a woman was heard in the background on your end saying, "Did we lose another veterinarian?" It sounds like others have refused to see you and there is a pattern.

With regards to the procedure that was emergent, it actually was not based on what I saw in the records and from the comment of the referring veterinarian. With that being said, we set it up on a Friday for you even though we don't typically do those procedures then. You were late once again. We had to call you to find out if you were a few minutes away. You were not. You informed us you would be there in a few hours.

There is a lot more to this situation that I will not mention here. We have done everything we could for you and Tiki, including referral options. I hope Tiki is improving. I'd be happy to have a productive conversation with you regarding your concerns.

Kind regards,

Len Donato, VMD, DABVP (avian practice)

Please keep meaningless comments to yourself.

AUTHOR: - ()

Mr. Tim:

I do not normally respond to a rebuttal, but I believe it is in the best interest of this site, as well as other users, along with potential patients to make informed decisions.  Your comments serve no purpose.  In fact, it undermines the credibility of the original writer, which is basically you being uninformed and making this personal.

If you wish to "Google" or search for archived accidents on the Blue Route for that day, please feel free to do so.  I have the facts on my side.  If you wish to take more time, I suppose you and I can open dialog outside of this forum and can provide you with recordation of the four calls that were logged as, "O called 4 times and left no message."  However, why should I bother?

When we could not get to the practice by 9 am on Monday, the doctor, Len Donato, left for the day.  Once we did arrive, the doctor would not do so much as return to the office, per the office staff, to examine the patient for stress and debilitating effects of the trip.  Nonetheless, we were punished for being late and not being able to make an appointment on Wednesday, two days later, due to a decline in the patient’s health because of extensive stress and yet another long trip.  Please remember, we had already been there once for the doctor to establish or gain our trust and set up the procedure.

Radnor was sought out due to having a board-certified doctor on staff, Len Donato.  The events are as they are stated.  The doctor was performing "surgery," his words not mine, on Friday when our initial appointment was scheduled.  We were led to believe compassion, assistance and empathy would be provided as demonstrated when we made the appointment and part of obtaining future business during our initial encounter.  Therefore, when a 180-degree attitude shift was exhibited by everyone involved, except one other doctor, we were shocked and dismayed.  Moreover, it was the patient who suffered the most, which is unacceptable in my book.

Here is the issue, which I hope elucidates my point.  This is an extensively long trip, which was not only exhaustive for everyone involved but proved utterly useless and wasted everyone’s time.  Blood could not be drawn on Monday; thus, lab work could not be performed.  The patient could not be cared for long term with oxygen therapy, and so forth, due to a lack of proper equipment and staff, which we were not advised of such until Monday.  As such, we were no further ahead while time advanced or marched onward.  You can never get back lost time, particularly if one's health continues to decline.

In addition, perhaps you may wish to ask Jim Higgins of Radnor Township how retaliatory this practice can become.  Once again, why are you taking sides?  Why should you care about this unless something similar happened to you?  This site, “Ripoff Report,” is dedicated to provide constructive, useful or other general information whereby you believe you are a victim of some vindictive, irresponsible or unconscionable action, inaction or service.  Hence, you feel ripped off.

As I said, I have requested neither you seek out this practice or not visit it nor have I advised you that services could be substandard as a customary routine.  In fact, I stated that it is your own decision and to do whatever you wished or chose to do in your own best interest.  I merely hope the information provided is helpful in case you begin to feel uncomfortable or question certain actions.  That is all there is to it.  I have detailed the events that transpired directly related to my family and me.  This is not illegal nor an effort to influence or change anyone's opinions.

Do what you like, but please do not call my character into question or impugn events that happened to me, which is what you have done with your commentary.  You diminish yourself, my family and this site by doing so.  By the way, this is not a personal attack against you either.  These are truthful accounts based upon occurrences and my position of events that I have to live with, which already cause me duress every single day to this very day.  So again, please keep personal opinion out of this type of forum and perhaps utilize it on "Yelp," "Wikipedia," etc.

Not sure on this...

AUTHOR: Tim - ()

I think there may be another side to the story.  I'd like to hear from the Vet Clinic.