January 31st, 2012 - Contacted Raisin' Kane Great Danes about a 16 week old black male Great Dane puppy that was listed on Next Day Pets. The owner, stated it was sold already, but that there was "a black boy in the litter born last night. The black pups will be 550, harlequins 1250, merles 950." We stated our desire to purchase the black male Dane for $550.
February 3rd, 2012 - Sent a partial deposit of $25 to hold the puppy. The amount of the deposit she usually asked was $350. It was never stated that this was a non-refundable deposit - "A 350
deposit holds the puppy and you have until he goes home to pay him off." The breeder agreed that we could pay off the remainder of the deposit at a later date, since there was still 2 months before the puppy would be ready to go.
February 17th, 2012 - We desired to pay off the balance entirely, and inquired if we should send the cost of the flight to Raisin' Kane as well. The breeder stated that the puppy's flight is paid for when they arrive to the buyer, but she would need an extra $100 sent to her to cover the cost of medical certificate and crate. We sent her the remainder of the balance which was $525, plus the extra $100, in total $625. The breeder sent us an email in which she stated we were paid in full.
We made sure to set aside $300 that we were expecting to pay the airline when the puppy arrived.
March 17th, 2012 - The breeder stated she would be making flight arrangements for the puppy to arrive to us on March 27th.
March 19th, 2012 - The breeder sent a bill for $400 for "the balance of the puppy" and another $100 for "crate and health certificate".
We reminded her that we were paid in full, and she apologized, stating, "No, it's me.
Just disregard it. I've got everything confused because I haven't been able to access my account. you paid it long enough ago that it has fallen off the register."
March 26th, 2012 - (the day before our puppy was to arrive) The breeder sent another bill for $100 for "the cost of crate and health certificate." When we sent her the previous email noting that we had paid in full, and the email containing her quote of $550 for the puppy, she told us that the quote of $550 was a typo, that the puppy was actually $650, and we would still need to send $100 for the cost of crate and health certificate. She stated she "would like to give it some thought so I can decide what is best for all of us." When we stated we thought the agreement had already been made and fulfilled, the breeder sent a hostile email stating, "Yes, paid in full for the puppy. I'm done doing this. Never and I mean never has someone paid the flight costs in advance. Since I'm not going to have the time to think about it I will go ahead and issue your refund as soon as im back at the house. I don't like being forced to make a snap decision and I refuse to do it."
We sent an email stating that "this is just an issue of you stating from the beginning it was $550 for the pup and $100 for the cost of the crate and accessories and that we have paid in full. I am not sure where the hostility is coming from, we are not asking for a snap decision of anything, we have been eagerly awaiting a puppy and have fulfilled our part of the bargain. I am sorry if you feel wronged but this has come as a complete shock to us."
After not hearing back from the breeder for the rest of the day, that night we sent an email asking if she had come to a decision. She then stated that she felt "uncomfortable" and thought it would be better for everyone if she just issued a refund.
We then inquired about when we could expect to see the refund.
March 27th, 2012 - After not hearing from the breeder all day, she finally sent an email in the evening stating she needed to transfer money to her PayPal account, and that we should receive a receipt for the refund in our account in 3-5 days.
April 1st, 2012 - After waiting the 5 days and still not receiving anything, we inquired if the breeder could tell us when we would be receiving the refund. She stated she really couldn't say when we would be receiving it. We then asked if that meant she had yet to transfer the money.
April 2nd, 2012 - The breeder finally replied to our question, stating, "It means what I said and pestering me won't speed up the process." She also stated that she felt that we didn't need to have any further contact with each other. That evening we sent an email to inform her that if she couldn't give us a definitive date or our full refund of $650 by April 5th, we would be filing a dispute via PayPal. We received no communication from her.
April 3rd, 2012 - Received a pending partial refund from Raisin' Kane for $300, with a note from stating she was withholding $350 as a non-refundable deposit because we refused to pay flight costs. We wrote an email stating that while we appreciate the $300, we never agreed to a non-refundable deposit, nor was it ever mentioned being non-refundable. We stated that we also never refused to pay the flight costs, that in fact, we weren't given the opportunity to discuss and compromise on it - The breeder decided she would rather issue a refund. We stated that she never disputed the dollar amount of the refund being $650, and that we would be filing a dispute via Paypal.
We received no communication from her.
April 5th, 2012 - The pending partial refund of $300 was denied by the breeder's bank. I called her in the evening to see if she wanted to talk about the situation, she stated she did not. She stated she felt wronged by my wifes tone and accusation that she was trying to get another 100$ out of us. She also stated she never intended to keep any of our money and that the typo and mis-communication were attributed due to stress in her personal life. Her battery died shortly after, before I could find out details of a refund, and she has yet to return any of my calls or emails.
April 13th, 2012 Partial refund of 300$ was deposited back into our Paypal Account with the note Refund minus 350.00 Non-refundable deposit for black male great Dane puppy you refused to pay flight costs for. I think at this point because we have been unable to come to any agreement it is best if you direct any other questions to Paypal.
We have since contacted a lawyer who sent her a formal request for the money, she never responded. Only when I put up a post explaining the situation on the site she uses, nextdaypets.com, did she contact us back stating she was going to sue us for slander and then proceeded to be hostile (again) to my wife. The website removed my post and suggested I file the report here.