AFNI Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: AFNI

There may be more reports for "AFNI"

For more results perform a general search for "AFNI"

Showing 76-100 of 751 Found Reports For more results perform a general search for "AFNI"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Dec 19 2006
AFNI, Charged for PAID old AT&T-Cingular Account Bloomington Illinois
Afni has sent me a letter almost 3 years after this account was paid to another debt collector. I called the original collector and they told me they no longer work with Cingular as their account. Of course my bank records dont go as far back as 3 years! So here I am faced with a debt I cant prove to that was paid because none of these bogus collection agencies ever send receipts even when requested!! I am so frustrated! Judith Hawthorne, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Apr 22 2008
Afni,Inc sap sucking sob's Bloomington Illinois
I just got a letter from Afni, Inc., for a CINGULAR account I never had. They claim the original amount due was $172.69. They added $25.90 for a collection fee. I'm contacting the three credit agencies about this. Im contacting the state attorney general's office and the Federal Trade Commission about this I'm contacting the BBB. This is beyond belief. Jeanne Silver City, New MexicoU.S.A.
Jul 26 2008
Afni mistakes i've made resolving a dispute Bloomington Indiana
While trying to buy a home recently, i came across an afni collection for over 1300 dollars from cingular. this is, in no uncertain terms, not my debt. i have been a gingular (now at&t) customer for almost 10 years now, and have only ever had 1 account with them - the one i use now. i called the call center to get information, which was an absolute waste of time, other than to start my 30 day clock running. during the course of my conversation i made sevral mistakes and would love some advice on how to make sure these things do not haunt me too much. i verified the last 4 numbers of my social - hesitantly, but i did it. i updated my current address. i updated my daytime phone. while i completely agree that these were huge mistakes, what can i do to prevent them from becoming my downfall? Parkbc Benbrook, TexasU.S.A.
Entity: Bloomington, Indiana
Aug 06 2008
Afni i got this bill from qwest Denver Colorado
I got a Collection notice from AFNI for a Qwest bill and i never had a qwest bill so i call Qwest i asked them what the hell this is and the ar looking in to it because not only have i never had qwest but it is not my last nave and i have never got a bill or any thing but a collection notice what the hell Tiggerkitty denver, ColoradoU.S.A.
Entity: Denver, Colorado
Sep 07 2008
Afni, Inc Fraud - Not a valid company Bloomington Illinois
Received a notice from Afni, Inc. regarding a past due account. The notice is fraud. I never had a phone with Verizon and therefore never had such disconnected phone number. The amount due is a fraudulent request. To anyone receiving this same notice, don't pay the company. I am sending a certified letter to the attorney general of my state, Verizon, Afini, Inc. and the three credit bureau disputing this debt and notfiying of this fraudulent company. Steven Glen Allen, VirginiaU.S.A.
Mar 15 2007
Afni fraudulent collection case closed ripoff Bloomington Illinois
Like many people here, my husband received a collection letter concerning a Verizon account he never had. We sent a dispute letter to Afni stating that he had never had a Verizon account and they replied asking for a copy of his drivers license, his passport, and his home phone number, among other information. I looked through the tips on this website and others, composed the following letter and sent it certified mail, return receipt requested. Feel free to copy it if you feel it would be useful in your own situation. To whom it may concern: I'm writing to continue the dispute of the validity of this debt and demand that you cease and desist collection action. You may not contact me by phone. I am requesting (and under the FDCPA you are required to send) the debt validation, the signed contract that created this bill, and the full account history and itemization of charges. I also need proof that you are legally entitled to collect on the alleged debt and licensed in my state to do debt collections. Furthermore, if you own the debt, I need to see the purchase contract, proof of payment, and full chain of title. Lastly, I would like to see proof that this alleged debt is not out of statute. If you cannot provide the above requested information within 30 days of your receipt of this letter, I will contact the Illinois Better Business Bureau, the Illinois State Attorney General, the Ohio State Attorney General, the FTC, and the FBI regarding this matter. Thank you, -- I got the following letter in response: This letter is to inform you that we have investigated your dispute related to the referenced account. Based on the investigation this account has been closed. Afni, Inc. will take no further collection action. In addition, if this account has been subject to credit reporting, the credit reporting agencies will be directed to remove this account from your credit report. Please note it may take up to 60 days for the account to be removed from your record at all of the credit reporting agencies. In the itnerim, you may use this letter as a notice regarding the status of the account. We apologize for the inconvenience this situation may have caused. -- It's nice not to be hounded for money we don't owe, but I fully intend to educate others about this scam. I've contacted my local news and hope to hear back from them sometime next week. I wish everyone here the best of luck in dealing with these predators and thank everyone here for their suggestions, knowledge, and advice. Elaine Columbus, OhioU.S.A.
Jun 25 2007
Afni, Inc fraudulent billing Ripoff Bloomington Illinois
I recently recieved a collection notice from this company for $193.88. While I was trying to contact the company, I searched web address and came up with several sites listing company as a fraud. I hung up the phone and found this site. I will not try to call again. Eddy Summerville, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Jun 25 2007
AFNI, Inc. Fraudulent Bill Ripoff Bloomington Illinois
AFNI, Inc. recently sent me a Notice of Collection for a Verizon account I have never had. I called to let them know that they have the wrong person, but the representative Diane kept telling me to stop interrupting her when she was telling me that my account was past due and that I owed Verizon $80.01. I told her that I am interrupting her because she is making incorrect statements when she states that my account is past due. She asked me for my current mailing address. I told her that I would now disclose that to her. She stated that she would put down that I refused to answer. I said fine. Then she asked me for my phone number. I told her that I would not provide her that information. She said that she would enter that I refused to answer. I told her fine. She asked me who my current employer was. I told her that I would not provide her that information. She stated that she would enter that I refused to answer. I said fine. Then she asked if I wanted to resolve this account. I told her that I wanted her to get her information straight and that this is not my account. She asked if I was refusing to pay my past due account. I told her that I am refusing to pay an account that does not belong to me. She said that she would make sure that my refusal to pay goes on my permanent record. I said, you mean my permament record from high school? She told me to stop being flippant towards her. Then she tried to hang up on me. I said, wait, wait, can you tell me when this bill orginated? She put me on hold and came back on the line a couple of minutes later. She said that the bill was from April 1998. I said from nine years ago, are you crazy? She tried to hang up on me again. I said to her wait, wait, but sorry I didn't get your name, was it Daphne? She said, I have told you several times that my name is Diane. Do I need to spell it for you? I said, I think that you had better. So she spelled it D-I-A-N-E. Then I said, and how do you spell you last name? She replied, I not giving you that information! and hung up on me. My next step is to write Certified/Return Receipt letter to them demanding validation, which I know that they cannot provide. I have written an email to my Congressional Representative and State Attorney General about these criminals. I will bring down the full weight of the government on these idiots. Don't let these creeps intimidate you! Kevin Hometown, MarylandU.S.A.
Jun 21 2007
AFNI Still reporting on my credit. Bloomington Illinois
AFNI is trying to collect $961.00 from an Alltel cellular bill from 1998. I paid this bill off in 2000. They continued to send collection notices requesting half of the amount. In 2003, I paid half again in an effort to remove the bad debt from my credit report. In 2007, it is still on my credit report and I am still receiving collection notices. Traci Semmes, AlabamaU.S.A.
Jun 16 2007
Afni, Inc. Fraudulent collection claim Ripoff Bloomington Illinois
I received a notice from Afni, Inc saying that they were a collections company and that I had been referred to them for a past due bill of $147.57 . The bill was for a phone number that I had never had before. The account that was past due was from a company called Verizon New York Inc.-not Verizon. I called the number listed on the notice and after being placed on hold an obnoxious rep came on the phone. He verified the last four of my SSN and the address of my parents. The bill was from 1994-when I was in college in Binghamton New York but the bill was for my parents address on Long Island. To confuse matters further the phone number was a 607 area code-which is the code for Binghamton. When I told him I didn't have a phone then and the address in question was for my parents and that the number listed wasn't their's they said they had verified it and that I could pay by cash, credit or check. I asked them who Verizon New York Inc was and they said it used to be Bell Atlantic. At that point I asked them to send documentation in writing and they said they would but that this would take it to the next level. There is no doubt that this is a false collection attempt. I put a fraud alert on my credit right away but I don't know how that will keep them from ruining my credit. Michael Alexandria, VirginiaU.S.A.
Jul 23 2007
AFNI , OLD VERIZON BILL COLLECTION BILL THAT NEVER EXISITED BLOOMINGTON Illinois
bill was sent to my home, not sure how i was able to leave verizon if i stilled owed money.. i don't think that this bill is legit. Sameerah Grovetown, GeorgiaU.S.A.
Entity: BLOOMINGTON, Illinois
Jul 24 2007
Afni They send out fake bills Ripoff Bloomington Illinois
Afni has sent thousands of fake letters out telling the people that they owe old phone bills. I checks on several of them and was told by the phone companies that they are fake. I called Anfi and told them there were no records at the phone co. to back up the bill they sent. They said its because they are old bills. So this is how they explain why the phone company has no records of this. If they have no records how did they give it to them in the first place. All letters shold be sent to youe District attorney and get them closed down. A lot of people do send them money. They have sent me four bills from four different phone companies over the last three years. Legal-justice Lakeland, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Nationwide
Jul 20 2007
AFNI Sent Fraudulent Settlement Offer. Sound familiar? Bloomington Illinois
Today I received an attempt by AFNI to collect $355.67 on a Cingular account. They said if I sent half of this I would no longer have to worry about this obligation . We called the toll-free number and were told this was the fifteenth letter they had sent! The account supposedly is from 2000. They could give no telephone number, or provide any information whatsoever. We filed a dispute and told them we expect to hear from them before the 31st, and that we are also filing a fraud report. Michael Moore should focus on this issue..... Kathy Louisville, KentuckyU.S.A.
Jul 13 2007
AFNI CAN'T BELIEVE THIS NIGHTMARE ripoff Bloomington Illinois
My husband and I applied for a loan last week and found out that I have a Collections account on my credit report. We pulled it up ourselves and found this company called AFNI, both of us were at a loss. So, I made the mistake of calling them, don't I wish I would have found this website first. NEVER call them, deal strictly through the US Mail, other posters on this website say that they're scared of committing mail fraud. They were not helpful at all and I found them to be extremely rude and aggressive. They said that I actually owed for 2 accounts, one had been reported to the credit agencies and one was getting ready to be reported. Both accounts total $275.00 and one is from 2001 and one is from 2003. The phone numbers and addresses they referenced are correct (where do they get this information???) but the time frames are off from when I actually lived in those houses and I never closed the account in 2001, it was just transferred to the new address. They also claimed that they have sent me several notices. I have NOT received a single notice from AFNI (or Verizon for that matter) about either of these items. My husband and I THINK their scam is that they don't send the notices, claim they do and then wait until someone like us applies for a loan and finds it on their credit reports. We all know you'll do almost anything to clear up your credit report in that instance and we think that's what they're banking on. My recommendation is to keep reading on this website, there is a lot of good information on here and it helped me compose a letter to AFNI to dispute these charges. We were also able to find that even if this debt was valid, the Virginia Statute of Limitations is 3 years from the final bill, so check the Statute of Limitations for your state and don't let them bully you. I also recommend that you dispute it with the credit bureaus, even it it isn't on there yet. I even called Verizon, they were very nice but couldn't help me. All she could verify was that I did have accounts with those numbers at one time (duh, already knew that) and they they did sell a bunch of accounts to AFNI. She couldn't even tell me if I was one of them. Count me in on any lawsuits. I fear I'll be fighting AFNI for a VERY long time, but it's become a matter of principal now. Teresa Powhatan, VirginiaU.S.A.
Jul 06 2007
AFNI Fraudulent collection of verizon accounts Ripoff Bloomington Illinois
In mid June I was contacted by someone from some where (they wouldn't give me the name of the company) regarding a Verizon bill from 1999. I requested a copy of the bill and the authorization from the creditor, for them to collect the monies. They became very irrate, demanding that I pay the bill and I hung up. I review my credit report fairly often and notice that 2 different 'unpaid' Verizon bills showed up on my credit report within the last 90 days. They are for the same period of time (2001 - 2002) but with different accounts numbers and balances. The creditor is listed on both as 'Verizon Former' with no contact information. I have sent a letter to AFNI asking for a copy of the bill and telling them to only contact me in writing. We shall see. Thanks Cathey Cathedral City, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Mar 05 2007
AFNI Collections unusual billing claims Ripoff Bloomington Illinois
They sent me a bill that is absolutely mythical. When I asked for documentation regarding the bill they were refused to send me anything. Finally, they begrudgingly said they would send me the documents regarding the alleged debt. Kurt Tacoma, WashingtonU.S.A.
Feb 17 2007
Afni received collection letter about alltel Bloomington Illinois
On Feb, 17th 2007, i received a collection letter stating that i owed a bill with alltel $481.75, only addressed to me, I refinanced my home 2 years ago and paid all back money owed anyone, i had actually over paid alltel and my mortgage comp re-imbursed me, the funny thing widstream bought out alltel about 6 months ago in our area, and i still have the same number, and still have service, never received anything before, and it doesn't even give the phone number for the account, only a Client acct # which on all my bills from alltel my account number was my phone number! I am not calling them, i was going to go on-line to there website site, but when i came across this info about rip off, I knew something was up, so i am going to type out a letter and wait for some made up stuff to come to me, they won't have any other info other that how the envelope was addressed! Robin Stotts Stotts City, MO Robin Stotts City, MissouriU.S.A.
Mar 05 2007
AFNI Sending FALSE collection notice for VORIZON Bloomington Illinois
Just received my letter also, stating I owe $193.31 to them for VERIZON.... funny the number they say I have/had is to some where I have never been!? Lived in a town close to there (35 miles away) 20 years ago. I am just glad that I decided to search around and found this site, altho I am sorry to see this with so many. I really hope some thing can be done to this so called company, before they affect some Honest,Hard working people, because they AFNI are a bunch of SCUM, that pray on HONEST people. AFNI is nothing more than CRIMINAL and should be held accountable for what they are trying to get away with! RLF fillmore, IllinoisU.S.A.
Jun 02 2007
Afni ripoff billing Bloomington Illinois
I received a letter from Afni, inc regarding a 7 year old telephone bill from when I was in college. In 7 years I have never heard from GTE/VERIZON, bought cars/houses. whatever, and it never came up. Now this rip off company wants to collect. Well I sent them a debt validation letter. To Whom It May Concern: This letter is being sent to you in response to a notice sent to me on May 10, 2007. Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested. This is NOT a request for verification or proof of my mailing address, but a request for VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you. Please provide me with the following: What the money you say I owe is for; Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe; Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe; Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable; Identify the original creditor; Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent A statement that unless the consumer dispute the validity of the debt within 30 days of receiving the notice, the collector will assume the debt to be valid. A statement that the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of judgment against the consumer in case of debt dispute. A statement that consumer will be provided with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor, on written request by the consumer within 30 days. A statement that the communication is from a debt collector attempting to collect debt and that information obtained will not be used for any other purpose than this. Detailed payment history, starting with the original creditor. Agreement with any of your clients that grants you the authority to collect on this alleged debt. Restrictions on Debt Collectors: Debt Collectors are not allowed to do the following before providing with Debt Validation: Collect debt Contact the consumer about debt Report under FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act). Violation of this can however take away $1,000 as penalty from the collector. So go ahead and exercise your rights. And pay debts only when it's yours. At this time I will also inform you that if your offices have reported invalidated information to any of the 3 major Credit Bureaus (Equifax, Experian or TransUnion) this action might constitute fraud under both Federal and State Laws. Due to this fact, if any negative mark is found on any of my credit reports by your company or the company that you represent I will not hesitate in bringing legal action against you for the following: Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act Violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Defamation of Character If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested in the following Declaration, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information and during such time all collection activity must cease and desist. Also during this validation period, if any action is taken which could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult with my legal counsel for suit. This includes any listing any information to a credit reporting repository that could be inaccurate or invalidated or verifying an account as accurate when in fact there is no provided proof that it is. If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of your receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me immediately. I would also like to request, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices to my home or to my place of employment. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to computer generated calls and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, it will be considered harassment and I will have no choice but to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by USPS. It would be advisable that you assure that your records are in order before I am forced to take legal action. This is an attempt to correct your records, any information obtained shall be used for that purpose. They sent me a copy of a 7 year old bill. that is it. Nothing else. How can I nail these bastards or get them off my back? Don Lake in the Hills, IllinoisU.S.A.
May 25 2007
AFNI ripoff dishonest fraudulent billing Bloomington Illinois
AFNI INC. is a collection agency trying to collect from me $1,295.19 for a telephone bill that was made in 1997 on Verizon NY Inc, in Buffalo, NY. I live in NJ and have never been to Buffalo. This company has my name, address, Soc. Sec. number, etc. This is a bogus attempt to try to extort money from me and I refuse to play their game. Thomas, Longport, NJ. Thomas Longport, New JerseyU.S.A.
Jun 14 2007
Afni Collections fake collections scam Bloomington Illinois
I recieved a collection notice for a verizon account in NY. I never had Verizon when I was in NY and that was almost 14 years ago. They spelled my name wrong. This seems like a major scam to me. Laura Laveen, ArizonaU.S.A.
Oct 31 2008
Afni WHAT ARE CONSUMERS SUPPOSE TO DO?? Bloomington Illinois
Checking my mail after a long day at work I found an official looking letter from Afni, Inc with large bold print COLLECTION NOTICE. My first reaction was to just scream, I don't have any past due debt! But then I tell myself let's be adult about this so I attempted to figure out what this is all about. I spent 21 minutes on hold waiting to speak to a live person, finally gave up and turned to the internet! The notice I received stated this is a debt owed to Quest, with a reported phone number that I haven't a clue where they came up with it, I have had the same phone number for a number of years and THIS IS NOT IT! There is no listed service dates or an address for service to this number. I am tired of having to take my time, which is limited, to figure out what is behind all of the mail consumers receive now adays. It is stressful, time consuming and half the time you never talk to a live person. I am frustrated that this type of thing should be allowed to happen. I will be reporting this to my local attorney general and postal service as well as Quest. I thank all of you that have contacted this site to bring Afni, Inc to the consumers attention. What can we do as consumers? Just what you have done, help others to become aware and put these thieves out of business!! Norma j Eugene, OregonU.S.A.
Jan 24 2009
AFNI, Inc Sends me a letter Bloomington Illinois
AFNI has sent me 2 letters claiming I owe them from AT&T Mobility...whoever that is. What a SCAM. Vanessa Overland Park, KansasU.S.A.
99, Report #321934
Mar 28 2008
AFNI Fraudlent All Tell Account Bloomington Illinois
In August 2007 I received a statement in my maiden name (which I haven't used in 10 years) from AFNI alleging I owed $163.66. I wrote a letter asking for copies of applications, signature and picture ID's used to verify the account. I have never even had an All Tell account! 6 weeks later I receive a computer general letter with the original creditors name, address, account and balance (80.00 higher than previous), but nothing that I requested. So, I sent a certified letter requesting this information and reminded them that if this were a judicial matter, they would have to come up with the info. I also sent a copy of the Fair Debt Collection Practices codes and a letter from an attorney with the Federal Trade Commission (which I found online) as a back up. In February, I received yet another statement of the alleged balance and this time they were offering to accept half of the balance to settle the account. I have never contacted them verbally as I choose not to be harrassed, as I also know this will sometimes reopen the statutes. As of today, I am filing a complaint with all of the statement, letters to the Attorney Generals office in the State of Florida and Illinois. Lynn Winter Haven, FloridaU.S.A.
Jul 02 2008
Afni Claimed an errous telephone number I never possessed. Bloomington Illinois
This company wrote me a letter threatening to blemish my absolutely flawless credit report if I did not pay some $336.24 in back payments for a cell phone number I have never had. David z SYKESVILLE, MarylandU.S.A.
Entity: Bloomington., Illinois