CARMAX Ripoff Reports, Complaints, Reviews, Scams, Lawsuits and Frauds Reported

Your Search: CarMax

There may be more reports for "CarMax"

For more results perform a general search for "CarMax"

Showing 76-100 of 430 Found Reports For more results perform a general search for "CarMax"

Wondering if a report is missing? We DO NOT remove reports.

Feb 23 2011
CARMAX AUTO FINANCE OVERCHARGING & ILLEGALLY DISCHARGING ACCOUNTS OFF AS BAD DEBT!!! Richmond, Virginia
VERY TIRED OF CARMAX AND OTHERS RIPING OFF CONSUMERS!!!!!!IF PREDATORY LENDING FOR HOMES COULD BE BROUGHT TO COURT CAR DEALERS SHOULD BE HAIL LIABLE AS WELL!!!!! Purchase Vehicle Feb 02,2008 Paid 32 payments and for August 17, 2009 Deferment, April 28,2009 Deferment with 32 payments plus 2 deferments comes to 34 payments. Carmax took the payment i made and applied them to my to the deferments making my account be behind with the contract balance and finance charges comes they were applied came to $8,980.24 totaling, and late fees coming to $659.33, but my full amount from money orders and checks paid came to $11,593.97 total and its 1,954.40 missing and not accounted for so some errors have been made with my account. So adding $8980.24+659.33=9,639.57 but no type misc fees at all i know i been over paying because I was toll late fees was 25.00 dollars when they were 18.37 this is on a tape conversations with Carmax reps. So I have been contacting John Christy at ext 4822 in reference to my account and that charge off that should not have happen call me at 404-944-9971 ASAP. If no one contact me by tomorrow i am going to see a consumer attorney. The Actual contract Carmax charge me and my son $26,449.00 on contract vehicle mileage 50,320 my son had been on his job not even a year and I had not been on my job not even a month!!! Carmax actually use price Gauging and Predatory Lending For this vehicle and stretch the truth to get us and rip me and my son off!!! Carmax has been ripping me off and ruin mines and my son credit and been taking money from me on payments and on their document sent its shows 32 payments and 2 deferments totaling 34 we only had the vehicle 36 months as of Feb 02,2011 and promise if i can fax the documents u look and tell me i am not wrong because i am not please contact me at (((phone number redacted))) this is very important to keep this from happening to other customers thanks!!! CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.
Entity: Richmond, Virginia
Mar 11 2011
CarMax Auto Finance Harrassment from billing department even after paying my bill - Internet
I have had a CarMax auto loan for the past 3 years and recently decided to pay off the rest of the loan early. I have been a good customer for years, always paying off my monthly amount on time and sometimes I would pay over the monthly amount to cut down the principle on my loan. I went online to get a payoff quote and submitted my final payment, or so I thought. After 2 weeks, I received several calls from CarMax telling me that there was still a balance of almost $100 left on my account. I asked for a detailed payment history so that I could track exactly how much I had paid since the beginning of the loan until my final payment so that I could make sure that figure was correct. They told me that they would mail it to me but that it would take 7 days to receive. I waited a few more weeks and received nothing in the mail from CarMax. In the meantime, I was constantly getting harassed by their collections department telling me that my account is past due and that if I didn’t pay the final amount, they would report me to a collections agency. I found this to be ridiculous since I had just paid them over $2k just 2 weeks ago and couldn’t understand why it would be considered past due since they had received well over the monthly payment. I got another call from them telling me to pay the remainder of my balance. I told them I had yet to receive my payment history in the mail and they told me they had sent it but that it doesn’t matter and that I still had to pay off the balance that they quoted me. So, I was basically forced to pay an amount that I wasn’t sure was accurate just so I wouldn’t be reported to a collections agency. I have complained to their supervisors to no avail and feel like I have been taken even after being a good customer for so long. My advice would be to stay away from CarMax Auto Finance since they don’t disclose any payment information to you and can basically tell you that you owe them any amount of money that they want. And no, I still have not received my payment history…
Entity: , Internet
May 06 2010
CarMax & Max Care MaxCare MaxCare Read Fine Print Before Signing Roseville, California
In February, 2010 we purchased a 2006 Hummer H3 from CarMax in Roseville, CA.  While working with the sales representative we noticed on final inspection that the windshield had three small chips.  The sales representative assured us that this should be fixed and it would be no problem.  I told him I did not want the car if it was going to need a new windshield and it was coming out of my pocket.  As usual, the sales representative also offered us the MaxCare extended warranty.  At that time I said to him if I buy this is everything covered, including the DVD players?  I had had issues before with CarMax repairing a DVD player on another vehicle I purchased from them that they had installed.  One day in to our 5 day grace period we took the vehicle back down to CarMax for the repair work.  Contract through DentWizard the three chips were repaired, however, at the time we picked up our vehicle none of the available service representatives offered to inspect the car with us to make sure all repairs were done to satisfaction.  Happy with the work, we left and continued to enjoy our new vehicle.  24 days in from the repair my husband and I noticed that a repaired crack was beginning to split down our windshield.  It was only about an inch long.  We called CarMax to see what we should do as this was an issue that should have been fixed by our initial service visit.  They stated that it was probably something that I did while driving the vehicle and they could not be responsible.  I stated that while that was a perfectly good explanation, I don't drive my vehicles all that much as they could note with the last car I traded in with them had only had 5,033 miles put on since I purchased just three years prior.  I was told I would receive a call back after he spoke with the service manager and they decided how to proceed.  I never heard back from them.  Everyday I left a message, I called the CarMax customer service line, nothing, I called the Roseville CarMax sales dept., nothing.  I finally opened a claim with the BBB.  I received a very nice screw you stating that they had tried to contact me so that they could send a DentWizard rep out to see if it was in fact a bad repair and I wasnt returning their call .  I declined this offer and stated that I had given the service department all my numbers for proper contact and once again gave them all my phone numbers for contact.  I also called the service dept. again and gave them my phone numbers to contact me.  Well within a day DentWizard was out to look at my windshield for all of 30 seconds.  Not long after low and behold we received a call that it was in fact a faulty repair and they would need to replace our windshield.  In the interim, our check engine light came on and the GM OEM Factory DVD Player installed in the headrest completely stopped working.  We went through MaxCare and found a certified repair shop in our new home base.  Well now MaxCare is denying that they cover our DVD player that was a part of the vehicle when we bought it.  They are stating that the DVD player was not installed on the FACTORY ASSEMBLY LINE  and that if it was the radio they would pay for it.  It is a GM OEM Factory DVD player that was installed at a GM Dealer at the time of the original purchase.  But they don't cover it.  They pointed us to the fine print of our MaxCare warranty contract that apparently clearly states this.  It would serve CarMax well to also bring their staff up to speed on this so they don't fraudulently sell products to customers who ask them point blank if I buy this will the DVD players be covered.  So back to the BBB I go.  I have bought over 7 vehicles and everytime it comes down to service and the service department I wonder why I keep going back.  Never again.  I am done this is the most screwed, full of excuses, rip-off company and I will never refer or promote it ever again.
Entity: Roseville, California
Mar 11 2010
CarMax- Duarte California MaxCare Got suckered in, but then pulled out Internet
Late one Friday night, I found an amazing deal on a car at CarMax -- a 2002 Toyota Camry with only 21,000 miles on it. The no-haggle price was $12999. I'll admit now that I did not check with KBB on their suggested pricing. I called CarMax the next morning and after a no-haggle inspection and test drive, we purchased the car and the 5-year MaxCare package (an additional $1600 that was a true salespitch). The total price was just over $15700. The car saw our trusted mechanic on Monday and told us that everything was original which we thought was a good sign, but he strongly recommended that we get four new tires since the sidewall rubber was peeling off in large flakes. I thought that was odd since we had been told of their 125-point-inspection service and our salesman, Robert, stated that the tires were still good. Also on that Monday, the financing had to be finalized with our bank. The loan officer alerted me to the difference in price since KBB valued this make/model with 21,000 miles at only $9998. She suggested that I haggle the price down; I told her I would try. When I contacted the business office regarding the huge descrepancy in price between the KBB and the listing price, I was told that prices vary every day and that multiple measures were used to determine CarMax's listing prices. Then I was told by the CarMax representative that CarMax does not use KBB to set their listing prices. I laughed out loud at that one since it IS and, in my 25 years of driving experience, ALWAYS has been the standard by which prices are set. We made the decision to return the car (we had only had it three days) and were not given any problems in doing such (it took about 25 minutes).So, my suggestions are to:(1) do your homework, (2) know what price others (KBB and other mass sellers) use to sell the car,(3) don't purchase the MaxCare service (that's where they do their markup),(4) get your car inspected by someone you trust, and (5) don't have any doubt that you are within your rights to return the car as per their business model.They give you 5 days to check out the car -- do not waste those days!
Entity: Internet, Internet
Apr 21 2010
CarMax Superstore Sold me a piece of crap van and then tried to screw me Nashville, Tennessee
I bought a 2006 Saturn Relay Van from Carmax in February. I have had it and driven it for 3 weeks total out of the 2 months I have had it. I have now taken it back to Carmax 4 times to be fixed and 3 of those times for the SAME THING! The 3rd time of taking it back to Nashville (which is an hour away from me) I told them I did not want the van back that I was tired of having the issue that was suppose to have been fixed. They told me they would buy it back from me for what was left owed on it and I was fine with that although I had done made the first payment on the van even though I had not even had it in my possession but maybe a full week that first month. I was told to look on their website and find what I wanted and so my husband and I did this for over a week. We finally found something that would fit our family as we have 4 kids so we do need either another van or something to fit us all. We called them told them what we had in mind and they said they would have it brought from one of their other stores for us to look at. They got all the information done for payments and oh yeah this vehicle was same price as our payoff of the van and we are paying $300.00 a month on it. Anyways they tell us that on the other vehicle the payment will be over $400.00 dollars. And I didn't tell you that we had to go back through them or we would lose the $2,000.00 dollars we put down on it plus the payment we had already made. Well I went off to the manager about this payment going to be so high and all he would say is oh I am sorry but that's what we can do for you. By this time I am so mad that I end up telling them to fix the stupid van and if it tears up one more time I will seek a lawyer to see what I can do. Well I got the van back on Monday and guess what yup that's right with in a week the same issue has started all over again and I was told the 2nd time that it had happened the van was sent to the manufacture. It is suppose to be back there now as I was called today by a cheery person letting me know that the piece of crap they sold me is being fixed once again. Well I think it's time to take action this time. I just need someone to help me figure out what I can do. They are going to end up screwing me even more I am sure but I am getting real close to taking window chalk and writing on all my windows I bought this Lemon from this CARMAX and keep driving around and around in front of the store.
Entity: Nashville, Tennessee
Dec 08 2009
Carmax Sold me an unsafe car, costs $4500 and still not fixed completely Modesto, California
We were told the car was Max ready. It spent 20 days of the first 30 days in the shop. Just had the tranny replaced by USFidelas. Thank goodness we got the coverage after the first issue. We were told the engine mounts, which were checked off as GOOD are bad. CarMax replaced the rack and pinion, brakes, etc. CarMax has spent over $2000 for repairs at their shop and then USFidelas spent $2400 for the tranny repairs. The motor mounts still need to be replaced and CarMax says tough, you fix them. The motor mounts will cost $100 each to replace. The car is a 2002 Nissan Sentra that we bought on August 25,2009. It has been in the shop for over 5 weeks since it was purchased. I don't have too much faith in CarMax's guarantee and I will makes sure my friends hear about my experience. The car was bought for my son who lives in Calif.
Entity: Modesto, California
May 11 2009
Carmax, Schaumburg, IL Beware Selling Your Car There Schaumburg Illinois
The Dealer offered me $50.00 for an old 95 Lebaron convertible that I have not been operating for years. After waiting for about 30 minutes for an estimate, I was given an estimate of fifty bucks. I was happy because I did not want anyone to drive the vehicle, I wanted it scrapped or I would have given it to charity. I had to bring my wife there to sign the title at Carmax with me. Anyway I went back there (my wife could not wait for the 30 minute appraisal the first time), and I had to wait another 35-40 minutess for paperwork. Nobody warned me about this unreasonable length of time. They gave me some papers to sign which included a back page rider which stated that the car has never been involved in an accident (not true), along with a list of warranties I was making. I almost did not notice or read the back page side of that last page. Nobody pointed it out to me. When I mentioned that I could not sign the provision indicating that the car had not been involved in an accident, the service person told me I could not make changes to the contract, but that it was okay to sign it because I was only warranting things to the best of my knowledge. I was uncharacteristically annoyed by her nonchalance; I tore up the contract after she repeatedly told me I had to sign it as is. I then asked to speak to a manager. He was equally annoying. I finally figured out I could have amended the contract on some blank lines at the bottom, but nobody had pointed that out. I was mislead by the incorrect oral statements, and I did not bother to carefully read the contract at the time because of them. Rather than apologize for the rudeness and lack of consideration, the manager reneged on the written offer to purchase the vehicle just to spite me. Then he told me that the contract could have been amended after he reneged. He enjoyed getting me anger in my opinion. I finally called Victory Auto who offered me twice the fifty over the phone, with no lengthy waiting. I despise CARMAX for it's pathetic customer service, poorly trained employees, and just plain rudeness. I'd never go back there. Schaumburg Area Lawyer Barrington, IllinoisU.S.A.
Entity: Schaumburg, Illinois
Dec 03 2012
MaxCare/CarMax CNA National Warranty Corpration Extended Warranty Covers Nothing Scottsdale, Arizona
We bought a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan from CarMax in Henderson, Nevada in January 2012.  Since this was a used car, with almost 30k miles on it we opted for the extended warranty since this would be the only family vehicle we had.  In talking with the sales person, we felt the best warranty, that would cover the most, would be for 72 months, or 100k miles.  The total cost of the warranty was $2,049. Each repair would have a $200 deductible that we would have to pay.  Having had an extended warranty on our last car - which we did end up using to correct an oil leak problem, we knew that we needed to maintain the car.  We take the van in religiously for it's oil changes & check-ups.  On our way back in to Las Vegas from Thanksgiving with family, our Van showed signs of overheating so we immediately pulled off the road & a cloud of smoke came billowing from the front of the van.  We pulled our kids out of the Van & immediately called Triple A for a tow truck to take the van to our long time mechanic.  This was on Saturday night.   On Monday, our Mechanic tells us that he believes there is a blown head gasket, & that this is something the warranty should cover.  He tells us that the warranty company needs us to authorize a tear down of the engine before they can even send out an adjuster to verify the damage.  Our mechanic tells us that in talking with MaxCare they tell him that there should be no problem, that this is a covered piece, but that we, as the car's owner, need to authorize the tear down of the engine so they can look at it.  Our mechanic tells us the tear down is almost $1,200, but that he has been assured the warranty will cover it.  We ok the tear down.  On Saturday the MaxCare adjuster comes out to the mechanics shop, agrees with his assessment & tells the mechanic there will be no problems, that on Monday he should have the approval.  In the meantime, I had no choice but to rent a car, at my own expense - the warranty covers $40/day, BUT that is only AFTER they have approved the repairs.   On Monday our Mechanic calls us to tell us that MaxCare has denied the claim, stating that the blown head gasket was related to us driving too long with an overheating car.  My husband calls MaxCare, speaks with a representative, then Dale, a supervisor.  They tell him that the claim was denied because there is a plastic piece connector that broke & this is not a covered item in the warranty.  The plastic piece.   I call MaxCare because I am flabbergasted that they are not approving this.  I talk to a representative who tells me that the denial was because we failed to properly maintain the car & that with regular maintenance that a broke hose or connector would have been caught & corrected, thus preventing the overheating & subsequent blown head gasket.  I tell him that I take the car in religiously.  He tells me that, as a former mechanic himself, that this piece is a small Y connector that is black & is not easily seen.  He said that it really depends on how deep a mechanic looks & that most are probably not even looking at this piece on a regular basis.   I asked the former mechanic that how would I know, a mother of 5, who takes her car in for regular maintenance to even ask that this hard to see, small black connector needs to be checked?  He said that again, I really need a good mechanic. I must mention that to this point I had not had any problems with the van.  I then ask him to send me a copy of the warranty so I can see exactly where it said that this was not a covered benefit.  He tells me that they do not have a copy of it.  I ask him how can he tell me that this is not a covered benefit when he cannot even see the contract?  He said they have a computer, with codes that tell him this.  I ask him what good is the warranty, what does it cover then?  He said major engine problems - I ask, isn't this major damage? He said that it was related to a non-covered piece, so not covered.  Anything that is a result of hoses or connectors is not covered.  I ask, isn't most things in an engine connected by hoses & connectors.  He again tells me that with regular maintenance they would not break.  So here I am  - $1,200+ into a tear down of a car, that MaxCare will not cover.  They have told the shop one reason - we drove too long with it overheating.  They told my husband that it was due to a non-covered piece.  They went further with me & told me that my neglect of having this checked, caused the piece to break, consequently causing the engine damage.  I am now trying to figure out how to pay not only the $1,200 to break the car down (which had to be done before they would even send an adjustor out) & coming up with an additional $1,200+ to complete the repair.  Knowing I did not have this kind of money, this time of the year, had I known it was going to be denied, I would have had the car towed back to my house until I could afford to fix it.  And to cancel the extended warranty - that may be another complaint.  I have already been told that there is a $30 administrative fee.  That I must write in to cancel & that the refund is prorated.
Entity: Scottsdale, Arizona
Nov 23 2008
Carmax buys your car for way less than it is worth Tampa Florida
I went to Carmax to look at small trucks. I wanted to trade my 8 year old GM passenger van with 102,000 miles. I test drove an 8 year old import truck ( 4 cyl, 5pd, a/c, no power options). The bed was painted poorly and I pointed it out to the salesperson. He told me that Carmax paints alot of their vehicles. I was offered $1200 for my van (V6, auto, fr and rear a/c, 7 pass). The comment on the appraisal stated that since it was almost 9 years old with 102k miles it was worth $ 1200.00. KBB says the trade value was over $3000.00. I took my keys back and asked the salesperson about the low offer and he said they have their own system. I then asked him about the poorly painted almost 9 year old truck I just drove for $10,000.What system did they use for that? People need to look past the advertising and understand they are a used car dealer identical to all the other used car dealers...... only with bigger smiles and nice blue shirts. Chuck Tampa, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Tampa, Florida
Dec 19 2012
CARMAX CORP-TORRANCE, California BLAMES NO CODE FOR INCOMPETANT MECHANICS TORRANCE, California
I am having a terrible time with Carmax-Torrance, Calif. After four weeks of hell being told there is nothing wrong with the car. Even after stalling, Scott Robinson Dodge and Carmax in Torrance, CA both insist there is nothing wrong with my 2010 Dodge Caliber. I have all the paperwork and information. It sputters and sometimes stalls and sometimes it just sputters like its going to stall in traffic. This is very dangerous in Los Angeles driving conditions. My car spent 2 days (Nov 28-29) at Carmax, they could not fix it so they told me to go to Dodge, so I go on Saturday, Dec 1st, only be told that the Fuel & Throttle Flush Maint. had never been done on the car. (So much for Carmaxs so called inspection! I can for certain tell you that absolutely no maintenance was done on this vehicle ever before it was sold to me, PERIOD! (according to Victor at Carmax Torrance, they only give it an oil change and sell it. My car needed brakes and front end alignment the first 2 weeks of ownership! So I pay out of pocket to do this Flush. Low and behold, then Tuesday night (Dec 4) my car stalls at a ramp off the 405 south, it did start back up, but I had it towed to SR Dodge Wednesday (Dec 5). Still they can not figure out why it stalled!! It does not code on any of the computers. I then take it back to Carmax on Thursday, Dec 6th and they only offer to test drive it. Of course they could not duplicate my concern. I had to rent a car on Monday, Dec 10th (this is because of Carmaxs wonderful repair policy of leaving the customer out in cold with no way to get around). I did a test drive with a Carmax mechanic present on Monday Dec 10th and still the vehicle does not act up. Then I return the rental on Wednesday, Dec 12th, pick up my car at Carmax Torrance and drive off. Of course the vehicle started to sputter a bit but not too badly. So here I am Dec 13th and the vehicle almost stalls at an intersection in Manhattan Beach, CA on my way to work. So now, and for the 2nd weekend in a row being left without a car, off we go to a Dodge Dealer in Long Beach, CA. Why?? Who the hells knows! Dec 14th,back to Carmax, then they take it to Glenn Thomas Dodge and again, I do not get my car back until Dec 17th. They upgraded the software(???) lololol and charged me for it. Dec 18th-guess what???? I am sure you guessed it---Surprise!!! The car stutters in an attempt to stall-again! Bottom line is this, I need a reliable vehicle and this is not it! I need help! I did not buy a car at Carmax to get swindled and left out in the cold with a piece of crap, just waiting for a catastrophe! How is that for a nightmare story and the saga continueshave contacted Carmax Corp, Dodge-Chrysler Corp and listening to them all stutter like idiots when I told them I will not just go away!
Entity: TORRANCE, California
Dec 14 2013
Carmax Jacksonville Mike Lavecka, Mike Evans, Tom Oneill Appraiser destroyed my convertible roof Jacksonville Florida
Brought car to carmax for appraisal.  Gave me an appraisal.  I denied the offer.  Walked out and got back to my car and noticed my convertible roof was tampered with by the appraiser and left in bad condition.  It was not closed up like how I had left it.  It was open and looked man handled and parts were dangling with screws hanging.  I tried to run the roof and it was completely broken it would not open or close at all.  Company denied any liability.
Entity: Jacksonville, Florida
Oct 22 2013
CARMAX - Burbank Extended Warranty is Fools Bargain Burbank California
So I buy a certified pre-owned vehicle from CARMAX with super low miles - - a sweet deal?  Maybe not.   I don’t have money to burn, but I get convinced that the extra insurance  coverage is truly essential, especially on an older car - - and not to worry, CARMAX service centers are open 7 days a week and they also work with a multitude of local repair shops.  That’s a HUGE plus for me since the nearest CARMAX store is a solid 30 minutes away (without traffic).Fast forward 4 months….I’ve put barely 3,000 miles on the car and a very unpleasant sound has taken over my engine block.  So, I call Carmax to make an appointment to have it checked out.  Their soonest appointment is 8 days away.  Are you kidding???  When I ask about an affiliate that will honor the insurance I was sold at the time of purchase, I’m given the name and number of ONE mechanics shop which is “conveniently right down the street from CARMAX”.  There is NO other recommended repair shop located between me and dealership.  This is a bad sign…..….so I call the shop they recommend, and the person tells me that I’m welcome to “drop off” my car whenever I like.  They’ll take a look at the car, a claim will be submitted , then an insurance adjuster  will come out and assess the issue (a 2-3 day process), and IF approved, I will be notified….and if the car needs work requiring more than a day in the shop they’ll get me a rental….Is this a joke? Time, money, convenience and sanity are all things that are important to me - - - and so is feeling safe on the road….so, in the interest of all those things I took my car up to my local mechanic - - a wonderful and ethical business owner.  He identified the problem (a fairly costly and major one as it turns out) and offered to call the extended warranty division of CARMAX to see if he couldn’t work with them directly to get my car fixed and save us all some time.Long story short - - he got the “runaround” for almost an hour and eventually concluded that even if I were to use the insurance, there is little to no chance they would use quality parts, and that their ethical compass is in desperate need of a magnet.  I will be paying for the repairs out of pocket.  It does not please me…but I simply do not have a way to live without a car while I’m being “approved”, nor do I feel comfortable driving around this big city with repairs and parts that may be substandard.Bottom line?  There are several - - take your pick.  I’m disgusted and furious, and promise myself I will not use CARMAX again - - OR refer them to anyone - - ever.  If I wanted to be treated like garbage, I could have gone to ANY used car dealership.
Entity: Burbank, California
May 16 2014
Carmax ( houston) Warranty work was not done correctly , and they refuse to fix .. Houston Nationwide
Had some warranty work done at carmax , they claim they used new parts but did not .. the car had a list of about 50 problems after I bought it and drove off the lot .. So it was never inspected by them either .. Keep your money buy from an individual and save the headaches ..because they will just refuse to fix .
89, Report #1194402
Dec 10 2014
carmax Dont believe the hype their the worst Avoid Avoid Avoid King of Prussia Pennsylvania
I purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey from carmax in September of 2014. Initially when I called them I spoke to a lovely sales man who quoted me a finance interest rate of 5.8%. Unfortunately I was unable to make it in that day. Finally I arrived at the dealership three days later. The car I chose was sold. The salesman explained to me these things happen. I accepted it, and chose a different car. However, when he ran my credit the second time my intrerest rate went to 21% I know thats high but I was coming in with no credit history at all. So I took on the payments thought I was getting a lovely reliable car. Well about one week after recieving the car I was driving and the car wouldn't stop. Contacted Carmax King of Prussia they sent a tow man out . Explained to me that It was the master cyclender and that they would fix it no cost to me. Well two week later I recieve my car back the water pump goes and the car won't stop squilling. I contact car max they send the same tow man out this time the machanic tell me the rotors need to be fixed and everything will be replaced at no cost to me. Well the dealership claim to have fixed the problem. Two weeks later I am on the highway and the annoying squilling started up again. I contact Carmax at which time I speak to a lovely representative Name Denise she explains to me that I need to bring the car in to the dealership to see what else is wrong with the car. I drop it off to the dealership one week later I recieve the car back only to have the car stutter start. After the second time the car catches on I precede to my home. Now we are in October I am on the highway and my wheel starts to shake a little bit and I pay it no attention.I contact the dealership they explain to me that sometime with new rotors that cars need to readjust. About a week later I am sitting in my jobs parking lot and the car doesn't turn on. I call my husband he told me to wait a minute at which time he informed me to put the car in neutral and to turn the key. H e explained to me that the car on its website has been experiencing many starting problem due to the WIN box not reading the electrical system. The next day I contact Denise with the situation she informs me if car does it again to bring the car in well no the problem occurred doesn't occur again within the month. So now it's the middle of Novemeber oil change and the squilling of the brakes come back, the wheel is shaking at excellerated speed when on the highway. I bring the car in to them at which time my oil is changed and I am informed that something was bent between the brake and the pad. Master Mechnaic stated to Denise east fix. I pick up the car heading back home pick up excelleration the wheel is still shimming and the brakes ar squiling. I contact Kyle a repair representative. He kindly informs me to bring the car in. I bring it to Car Max King of Prussia complaining of the safety of the vehicle at which ime I am informed that I will not be able to get a loaner due to how many times I have brought the car back for repairs. I got a little heated and demanded to speak to a master mechanic at which time he and I went on the highway and the wheel shimming started again. We returned to the dealership at which time he reported to the manager that what I was reporting was a safety issue. Carmax provided me with a loaner However after having my car for 6 days I was informed that my rotors had to be replace again the dealer claims due to harsh driving. How about I know my rotor never were replaced the first time, and howabout that 30day fix policy is a scam they sent it through the claims department the first time they claim to have fixed my brakes THIS SERVICE WAS SUPPOSE TO BE ON THE HOUSE THE FIRST 30 DAYS. PLEASE DONOT BUY A CAR THROUGH CARMAX THEY DONOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCT. I haven't had my car for 90 days and had to take the car back to them more than 6xs. Oh the head bangers is now they want me to pay for the rotors and brakes that they claim to have fixed in September, and October.
Entity: King of Prussia, internet
90, Report #1204407
Jan 26 2015
Carmax Autofinance Completely Ignorant with NO Concern for Customers Kennesaw, GA Internet
I have had more issues with Carmax Autofinance than I can even describe.  The issues started a few months ago when they reported a late payment to the credit bureaus that wasn't late at all.  On my credit report, it says over 30 days late, when my payment was absolutely on time.  I am jumping through hoops trying to get that removed.  They aren't being helpful at all.  They keep trying to brush me off when I call to talk to them about it.  I even had one rep hang up on me. Also, I just moved from Texas to New York state, and I have to get my car registered in NY.  I called them to have them send me a certified copy of my title, and a certified permission letter (which is required in the state of NY to register your vehicle).  I called two days later to make sure that they sent exactly what I needed in the mail.  They absolutely assured me that they did.  A week later, I get a piece of paper in the mail that has our loan agreement on it.  I call them back to let them know that they sent me the wrong paperwork and repeated to them what I needed.  They assured me that they would overnight the paperwork.  (I am getting dangerously close to the deadline to register my vehicle according to the date my insurance flipped to NY.)  Three business days later, I call them back to see why I haven't received my paperwork.  They say that they have no record of me calling and asking for any paperwork.  Now I have 3 business days left to register my vehicle.  They assure me again that they will overnight the paperwork out that day...I will recieve it the next day.  Two more days go by.  I call them again, because it is the last day to register my vehicle.  AGAIN they tell me they have no record of me calling in.  Now I have to call my insurance company to change the effective date on my insurance because the state of NY won't register my vehicle.  That will take another week to update and get that paperwork in the mail.  Honestly, I don't think Carmax Autofinance will ever actually send me the paperwork that I need, so my car is illegal and I may never be able to drive it again.  My inspection is out of date in TX, so my car has been off the road for a month and I can't do anything about it because I can't register it.
Entity: Internet
Jun 25 2014
CarMax Disappointed Repair Customer –Mechanics failure and irresponsibility cost me $1007 – Gastonia, North Carolina Nationwide
  I purchased a 2005 Silverado Z71 in June 2012. First, during the transport from Chattanooga, TN to Gastonia, NC (Charlotte area) they scratched the roof of the truck and took 3 days to repair it. However, after the repair the truck was beautiful. The vehicle was well maintained from the previous owner and is still babied to this day. We and our family purchased over 6 vehicles over the past 10 years. I have always recommended CarMax to my friends and family. During the first week in August that year, the check engine light came on. Less than a week after the 30 day warranty the shop stated it was a “Knock Sensor”.  Knock Sensors are not an easy fix as the intake manifold must be removed to replace the two sensors and the wiring harness. The job was completed, only after negotiating the fees for the job. The job was quoted as $690. CarMax repeated that the truck was out of warranty, one week out of warranty. We negotiated to pay 50/50 for the bill. I was out $345. About 10 months later, the check engine light came on again. I took it to a local auto parts chain store where they offer free diagnostics. It was the Knock Sensors again. I immediately went to my CarMax receipt and, of course they only warranty parts and labor for 6 months/6000 miles. Through the next few months the light came on and off, almost routinely every other tank of gas. I considered it could be bad fuel, being new to NC; I kept searching for new gas stations. Seeing that the knock sensors were recently placed, I began researching via Silverado/Sierra web forums the causes of knock sensor codes. I also located an extremely reliable local mechanic to maintain and repair all my family’s vehicles and they were perplexed over the sensors coding again. During late spring of this year, the check engine light came back on and refused to go off. I replaced the Mass Air Flow but to no avail. I cleaned the intake, but to no avail. My last choice was to go through the cost of having the sensors replaced, once again. Once my mechanic took on the task, the cause was very visible. The wiring harness from the knock sensors that CarMax replaced was crushed between the intake gasket and the cylinder heads. An obvious and well known issue, as described on the Silverado Forum for people who have multiple issues with Knock Sensors. The job was completed correctly for $1007. I secured the old knock sensor parts, including the crushed wiring harness, which began to fray and short out against the cylinder head and the gasket showing the wear. Needless to say, I went back to CarMax in Gastonia, NC where I was greeted with smiles and firm handshake from one of the ladies working as a “Customer Advisor”. She heard my issue and told me she’d check with her manager and call me by the end of the day. And as guessed, I received the call an a very fake polite and condescending denial was given. Her poor excuse was hidden behind, Geesh, we would have like to of had an opportunity to correct our issue, but since you didn’t come back to us, we will not honor my request to get reimbursed for their mechanics failure to correctly install the sensors. It was an obvious good choice not to return to CarMax, with hindsight in mind, they would have covered up for their mechanic irresponsibility, I’m certain.   Taking it up the ranks to Customer Relations, I received my second denial from a lady who described herself as a temporary helper from their Richmond, VA location. She was to have spoken with other ‘more experienced’ relations expert and get back to me by Monday. Here it is Wednesday and no call back. So I called back and received a firmer denial with no one further to speak with other than a simple manager… In getting their bad news, I have no other choice but to take it up to Social Media. Copy and paste, here we go…
Jun 09 2015
Carmax 5 day return policy and 125 point inspection a joke greensboro North Carolina
We purchased a ~$51,000 GMC Denali HD Truck from the Greensboro, NC location and put a trade value of ~$7K and a $10,100.00 down payment in the form of a business check. The check was ACH transferred in 24 hours on a weekend. The second day of driving the truck to and from job sites the check engine light came on. Took it to my trusted mechanic and it is most likely an O2 sensor. No problem, we also purchased the MaxCare plan and it's under warranty. Later the same day the cruise control stopped functioning, leading me to believe the 125 point inspection is a joke.  So we decided it was time to take advantage of the 5 day no questions asked return policy. The staff at the location made this a quick and painless process, however, they informed us that the refund check for the down payment would be mailed to us within 7 - 10 business days. I didn't mail them the down payment in 7 - 10 business days. They drew the money from my account almost immediately. I full expected to have the money back in the same fashion. You have 14 days to have credit checks on your account if you are searching for a new car, mortgage, loan, etc before you get dinged again, so I don't have the luxury of waiting 7-10 business days to get the down payment back that I need to put down on a truck at an actual car dealership. We have bought 3 cars from Carmax in the past with absolutely no issue. Needless to say they have lost a customer for life in us. I will also make sure my friends, family, and business contacts know of this unacceptable business practice so they don't get burned as well.
Entity: greensboro, North Carolina
Sep 08 2015
Carmax, Alameda N.M. Extended Warranty Fraud Albuquerque New Mexico
I bought a 2005 PT Cruiser from this Carmax location in November 2012. In the entire time I have had the car, I have had to put alot of money into repairs as well as preventive maintenance. 2 weeks ago, I paid $3200 to repair the engine of which should have been covered under the extended warranty. A week after I get the car out of the shop, it goes back in because it was overheating. The radiator seems to be the problem and although radiator replacement is not part of the not covered clause, the Maxcare /CNA extended warranty people are telling me that they refuse to cover the cost because unless it is dripping antifreeze, then it is not a mechanical problem. When I tried to argue the case that the radiator is the only thing left that the diagnosis has yet to eliminate as the problem, they said that the shop said it was not a mechanical problem but a restricted flow problem. Among the other repairs that should have been covered are the busted gasket seals that were leaking oil into the spark plugs, corroded battery cable, all of which should have been covered otherwise why get the extended warranty at all.
Entity: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Oct 29 2015
CarMax They wanted to see my personal Bank account. Fort Worth Texas
I have bought several cars from Carmax over several years. I was buying a new truck and turning in my old one. I had to write a $2318.92 check to cover the gap in the payoff. I was told they needed to verify the funds. Then I was asked to pull up my personal bank account so someone could come in and look at it to make sure the funds were in the account. I have written many checks for downpayments and monthly payments and have never written a bad one. It is absolutely none or Carmax business what my personal bank account looks like. If I wanted them to see it, I would open a joint account so they could have freedom to poke around in my account anytime they wanted. I did not get my truck because I would not comply with their demands, Very frustrated and no longer a customer.
Entity: Fort Worth, Texas
Jul 02 2016
Carmax Oxnard CA Be aware of the scams Oxnard California Nationwide
Went to carmax Sept 2015 and purchased a car. (2011 Nissan Altima) at the time everything seemed fine, a month later we noticed there were problems with the car. Breaks were at 30%, When we had only put 700 miles on the car. Couple weeks later we heard an awful sound coming out of the car, took it to Nissan and were told it was 2.5 quarts low of tranny fluid. They checked the car further for any leaks with negative results. Then had problems with keeping the car running, etc. Well 9 months later we were so fed up,with the car and the so called warranty and owing twice what the car was worth, we traded it in and purchased a brand new Chevy from a reputable dealership. Be aware of carmax, and their so called max care warranty they claim to do a 125? Point inspection on their cars they take in, they claim they have a no hassle pricing. Yea no hassle cause they rip you off...
Entity: Phoenix, California
Aug 16 2016
Carmax Sold me a lemon car and won't repair it Modesto California
 Bought a lexus is250 had a 30 day warranty as well as a extended warranty before my 30 days were up told them about a noise coming from engine they denied the fact the i told them yet they repaired my window cause they thought the noise was coming from there which means so i told them about a noise and now there trying to tell me any repairs must come out of my extended warranty so i would have to pay a deductible don't buy from here there liers and thiefs my car has been having issues since the day i bought it its always one thing after another and there 30 day warranty crap is fake like them DONT BUY CARS FROM CARMAX AT ALL!!!!!!
Entity: Modesto, California
Jun 11 2005
CarMax - Buena Park - Troy - General Manager CarMax Buena Park Sold Me a Lemon; General Manager Lies & Won't Exchange Buena Park CAlifornia
Bought a 2001 Toyota Celica on Feb 18, 2001 from CarMax Buena Park. The very next day after I brought it home I had to call concerning the brakes. I have returned it 3 times for the brakes and they are still not fixed. Each time it has been returned to me, a new issue develops. The car pulls to one side if you have to brake suddenly. I wanted to exchange the car and the General Manager -- Troy -- kept insisting that I give them the opportunity to repair it. So I have -- three times--and I have not had it for 30 consecutive days without problems. I wanted to exchange it from the beginning -- At the third repair, Troy told me that if this didn't fix the problem that we would explore other options. I got the car back and now the brakes are making a clunking noise and it's still not right. So what does Troy tell me -- my options are: 1. Give them the opportunity to repair AGAIN (while I continue to go without a car AGAIN and make payments on this piece of junk) OR 2. Sell the car back to them at wholesale value and buy another car -- I would lose $5000 from 3.5 months ago! Right! Thanks Troy. And I don't think the finance company would go for that. I also had asked the Salesman JT where the car came from before I bought it and he said that it was a returned lease vehicle bought from a dealership. After having problems with the car I insisted that I be provided with the history on the car and I was sent the AutoFax that revealed it was A FLEET VEHICLE bought AT A WHOLESALE AUTO AUCTION! I am appalled. Why wasn't this revealed to me???? I would not have bought it. This is where they advertise that they send cars that are not up to the high-standards required to be put on their lot. I put down $4000 cash for this car and financed the rest. Does he realize how long it takes to save up $4000 for some people? He does not care. I HAVE CALLED AND COMPLAINED FROM THE VERY FIRST WEEK! HE INSISTED I GET THE REPAIRS. The first time I called (two days after I bought it) my repair was scheduled for TWO weeks later -- past the 5-day exchange with no questions asked. I feel so manipulated. I asked Troy why I was given a certificate stating that there was a 125-point check performed on my car and yet clearly there was not -- Troy told me I don't know--I don't think we had the car very long before we sold it. The car shouldn't have even been put on the lot then! Not if that's what they are advertising; not if they give me a certificate stating that this was performed! I want to exchange the car! Why is he sticking me with this junk that's falling apart! The hood won't pop up now. This car is a 2001 and bought with 32,000 miles -- why is it falling apart? I went to CarMax to get a reliable car at a fair price. This has been so horrible for me. I feel so cheated and ripped off --EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO AVOID. THE CAR SITS -- I DON'T DRIVE IT. I don't feel safe and it's engine and transmission is erratic. Yet, I continue to make payments. Susan Rancho Santa Margarita, CaliforniaU.S.A.
Oct 07 2007
Carmax CARMAX-How buying a Car Should Be???? WHAT?? bought a SUV 5 months ago---14 repairs since I drove it off the lot Tampa Florida
CARMAX KING OF RIPOFFS--bought a 03 Ford Expediation with low miles, I have had the vehicle for four months and have had 13 repairs on this vehicle. I am out raged that I was sold this vehicle to me in the first place. Carmax boasts on thier 125-point inspection on thier vehicles, and a mechanic spends 12 hours inspecting and reconditioning every used car they sell ( taken from carmax website) Well I guess the mechanic fell a sleep at the time this car was inspected. The website also states cars that fail thier Certified Quailty Inspection are sold at Wholesale auctions. The amount of repairs on this vehicle range from electrical, and problems with the rotors and front tires. Carmax manager stated to me Well, we have a 5 day return policy WE had this vehicle in for repair 2 weeks after we had it. Carmax has offered to do nothing, We have told them we no longer trust or want this vehicle. All they say is keep bringing it back and we will fix it. Please warn others of this, I also met other customers in the repair department that were going through the same thing. This is false adertisement!!!! Please BEWARE of CARMAX--- Madmomma Plant City, FloridaU.S.A.
Entity: Tampa, Florida
Apr 09 2012
CARMAX BERNARD, JAMES, JESSIE (PLANO TX STORE) DISHONEST, UNRESPONSIVE, TERRIBLE SERVICE....DO NOT BUY A CAR FROM CARMAX PERIOD PLANO, Texas
Purchased a vehicle from Carmax in Plano, TX, I had the car picked out before going and called in advanced to have them get the paper work  ready as I had the financing taken care of on my end.  Even giving them all this advanced warning it still took about 6 hours to actually buy the vehicle. Key FOBs did not work, took two weeks just to get a response as to the status of the one I gave them and still 6 mos later have not received it back. I have owned the vehicle for 6 mos and have two mechanical issues arise and dealing with Carmax Service Department is like pulling teeth, they will refuse you service if you do not have an appointment. They will not fix anything on your vehicle without charging you through the roof all for you to have to deal with absolute nightmare. The first issue took 2 days to replace a PCV hose which should have take 30 min.  The second issue they refuse to address and fix unless I pay almost $500 for a $150 part that takes less than 2 min to do.  I have tried contacting corporate, Lynn Mussatt, but the entire executive will not respond at all to any form of communication and instead send you to a customer service department that is worse than the dealership.  Will not call when they say they will etc. Bottom line Carmax will say they check out the vehicles they sell but all they look for are salvaged titles, they do not really check over cars.  If you do buy a car and have to have work done save the trouble and go somewhere else as Carmax treats their customers like cattle herd them in and move them out. My recommendation do not buy a car from CarMax period, they are very proud of themselves but the truth is they are incompetent with an executive team that is unresponsive and cold, this is a company with no morals, no community support and who offers perhaps the worst customer service I have ever experienced.
Entity: PLANO, Texas
Dec 06 2009
CARMAX Carmax sold me a car that was unsafe, needed extensive repairs even and priced the car three times what they say it is worth. buenapark, California
carmax sold me a 1999 Honda, I was told by family and friend to have them change the tires with in a day after purchase. I asked them to check tires they said tires were fine. Then the tires go low, they said tires were fine, brought back to there service with in the first month and first three months, they said tires were fine, each time filling up with air.  Took tires to have them repaired at reputible tire place, was told tires were so bad they could not be repaired because they would be a liability to fix.   Car within the first month would just die at a stop, engine would just go out.  Had Carmax check, they said the diagnostic showed nothing, if it happens again bring back.  I did, it still did not show anything, They said if it does it again, bring it back, I did, but again the diagnostic they said showed nothing, and when they drove it, they said it did not do this.  ( I could not afford any other mechanic at this time....I was still a student using student loans to survive). The car payment was high....which is why i went for a used car...to try to keep payment down and insurance rate down. Also had them check brakes....seem to go low at time....felt scared.  They said they were fine....they had to meet a certain criteria...so they were fine.  My brother helped me with checking what i could with the fluid or line, because i could not afford a mechanic and they kept telling me all was okay. It was past the month, and i had not purchased an extended warranty. So they said it was on me. 2/1/2 month into the car my car started to overheat, after finally getting the car to buena park....since they would not pay for a tow.   i had to slowly drive, stop for an hour fill with water and drive...side streets to make it there. The repair of radiator was extensive with labor....carmax charged me more then other mechanic would.  after proving the cost of parts and labor was extensive...they lowered the price down a few hundred....but still charged me more then then other places and part was more then if i purchased it myself from an automotive store.  They said dealership charge more.  They at that time could not tell me if my heads were blown...since they could not check the pressure till the radiator was in place....i would have had to pay for that also.  I did not buy the extended warranty.  The the drive shaft went out.....payed for that with another mechanic i used with my previous vehichle, since car max charged so much. The boot for the tire was completely broken, so i replace that. The air emmision valve (costly) had to be replaced. Oh, forgot to mention, i replaced all the tires on the car. (not expensive, stylish but new good ones) Brake light has been on but i can't afford this right now, since the transmission is now going out. So it will cost between $1800 for a rebuilt part (not labor) and  carmax offer, and $3300. with labor and new part from Honda, to fix. My advice do not buy a car from this company! they have sales people that just put you off, the top people will not talk to you.  And they will not make good on their sales, They do not check cars, many people have told me after,They will not buy back their car like they say they will when they are selling it. Yes i have had my car over a year, but it was a bad car, extremely, over priced, but i need a car that was not expensive for a reason, but i did not expect them to sell me a car that was unsafe and needed so many repairs. Now i have to pay over 10,000 for a shell of a car that i am building from the inside out. That they say is only worth 2000. Thats how much they over price the car.....and remember i have been making payments for the last year on this car, so i have lost out on this and the repair cost.  Tell your friends this story, and please do not buy from Carmax...it is a terrible place.
Entity: buenapark, California